600/313
    Trade Feedback
    29 (93%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shroud of the Avatar Thoughts

The latest game by Lord British, Richard Garriot, has been announced. Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues. Basically its a return to the RPG by Lord British with a sorta sequel to Ultima Online or Ultima in general. This game is important to me personally as it was my first MMO and the one that sparked my interest in making the gaming industry my business.

Now who knows how well this game will truly turn out. I do love that its bringing back some features that really haven't been around in MMO's for some time. The ability to build and own your own home in the actual game space on real estate that is limited in the world is a big one. It means that not only do I have something that you don't in a location you don't have but I can truly leave a mark in the virtual world. My house could be a place to find the rarest weapons in the game to buy, I could make it into a death zone where I will kill anyone who comes by my house and looks at me wrong. I can have crazy events at my house where players fight to the last man standing where I will give out prizes to the winner. I can be known, my house can be known and people will forever refer to the area where my house is as Ket's Place. Maybe 10 years later long after i've stopped playing people would still refer to it as Ket's Place, not even knowing why its called that. That is leaving a mark in the world and that is something I'd like MMO's to return to. Maybe, just maybe SotA is something along those lines.

Shroud of the Avatar Thoughts
    Serpious's Avatar Contributor CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, it sounds fantastic, and the type of game I would get into.

But looking at the youtube vids the graphics are as bad as runescape.... If it ends up having amazing graphics (Atleast on par with a game like tera, love those but hate the gameplay) then I will get it.

But so far.... hellz to the no

Jaerin's Avatar Former Staff
    Thanks G/R
    29/126
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ket you do make a great point about leaving your mark on the game world. From a business standpoint if they allow such a thing to also exist its good news for you as well, considering the *HOT* commodity those properties were in the original game. The important thing to remember though is do not expect it to be Ultima Online 201X. There will be large differences and any time a retro game is remade there is the risk of tarnishing the past. People tend to have high expectations and want the ability to relive their past. The new games have never been able to do this on a consistent basis. Some games do stand out, but D3 is an example of a game that people WISHED was like D2, but it ended up being a shadow of that former game. That being said I made the following comments on the front page post:

I don't know, I'm just not that impressed with Richard Garriott as a game designer.

Sure there is some nostalgia associated with Ultima and UO launching the graphical RPG space, but overall the genre has matured so much over the years. His participation in the RPG genre since then has been pretty poor, IMO.

Ultima Online 1997 Producer
    Ultima Online: The Second Age 1998 Executive designer
    Lineage 1998 Executive producer
    Ultima IX: Ascension 1999 Director
    Lineage II 2003 Executive producer
    City of Heroes 2004 Executive producer
    City of Villains 2005 Executive management
    Tabula Rasa 2007 Executive producer

Lineage has done well, but not really here in the US. CoH had a very strong following, but it was pretty niche. Tabula Rasa I felt had some potential, but it wasn't ready when launched and flopped pretty hard. UO hasn't gone through any kind of great move forward since the original either, IMO.

He was a pioneer for sure, but I wouldn't want to send any of the original Apollo crew back to the moon just because they did it first.

ArBar's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    He was a pioneer for sure, but I wouldn't want to send any of the original Apollo crew back to the moon just because they did it first.
    But you could always send Richard Garriot to the moon, hes a god dam cosmonaut.

cdmichaelb's Avatar Contributor CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    21/5
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Tabula Rasa I felt had some potential, but it wasn't ready when launched and flopped pretty hard.
    There's quite some story behind that, paraphrased (possibly with some misinformation, so look it up yourself if you are interested): The publisher released early, while he was preparing to go to space, while he was on the ISS they forced him to resign. (I suck at paraphrasing, just google it :P )