3/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~50mb update after injecting dll + crashing

Was playing around with hooking dx11, accidentally injected the DLL whilst PoE was running and the game crashed. When starting up PoE again after the crash, there were 2 subsequent quick updates, one was like 30mb and then another like 50mb. I'm super paranoid, is it just coincidence and there were small patches or have I been flagged and it was some sort of anti-cheat measures downloading?

Anyone experienced this?
    EDIT: Looks like there was a patch :') Patch Notes - 3.14.0c Hotfix 2 - Forum - Path of Exile

Still curious though, is anyone injecting into the game?

I know @pushedx advised against injecting, but my external has gotten to the point where its getting a little slow when there's too many entities on the screen.
    Last edited by xhulic; 04-21-2021 at 11:35 PM. Reason: I was being paranoid.

~50mb update after injecting dll + crashing
    pushedx's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    8/135
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by xhulic View Post
    Still curious though, is anyone injecting into the game?

I know @pushedx advised against injecting, but my external has gotten to the point where its getting a little slow when there's too many entities on the screen.
    I'll start off by saying, I'm not up to date on their client sided AC anymore. It's been on the todo list, but I've not run into any issues with my dev past few years to want to care about it anymore. The client is just too large and changes too often to try and stay on top of it like I used to in years past. It'd be so easy to detect a lot of things in a clever way that would go unnoticed nowadays, it almost feels like it's better to just react after the fact. Likewise, if you do private development as most projects are nowadays, unless you just get unlucky, it's almost impossible for them to trivially detect your stuff because they won't know what to scan for (while also avoiding false positives).

I think private vs public is more of the issue rather than injection. Until you get to actually automating actions with private stuff, you shouldn't really have any issues with the game. I'd still strongly caution against calling client functions to perform in-game actions due to the way the client works and how easy it is to bypass certain logic checks, but you can most certainly still get away with it. It's just not worth it to me though, because you need to understand the client quite a bit before you go calling functions "safely", and if you understand the client that much, then you don't really need to call client functions for anything except string writing perhaps (as paste/typing can be problematic in certain situations). Virtually everything else I can think of can be emulated and replicated externally with a bit of work.

I use injection/dll hijacking for my tools, and have never had any issues. There's just too many DLLs nowadays on each system that get injected into a process, it's impossible to just know which ones don't belong. Funny enough, a few weeks back I switched to playing the game in DX11 from Vulcan, and was surprised to see my DX11 Present function was hooked. I had a tool that was checking function bytes for sig searching purposes, and it turns out that the A-Volute SonicStudio3 audio software that comes with ASUS does d3d hooking in a very intrusive, and easy to hijack way. Overlays like Discord, Steam, EGS, etc... also inject dlls and hook functions (sometimes in exploitable ways) so unless they switch to something like EAC/BE that uses drivers to lock the client down, I just don't think you have much to worry about. I don't even know what 1/2 the DLLs are on my system anymore due to all the changes Windows has been making either, so there's that too.

As for your use case for needing to be internal, I feel that's the best way to handle it nowadays. I still prefer most things being external, but when it comes to processing client data and getting it into a ready to consume state, doing it internally is the only way about it when performance matters. The design I switched to was making an internal API that did the heavy lifting, then have an external read the processed client data in snapshots. The old method of having an internal simply sync the client and letting the external read memory just can't keep up with the game anymore, as it was already struggling back during 3.3 and it's been 11 leagues since each adding more and more stuff to the game.

EDIT: One thing I should mention, they do log crashes and the crash dump will most likely contain the name of your DLL, so if it's something conspicuous, they might check into it eventually. You can do some client modifications or API hooking to disable crash reporting though, so that's highly recommended if you're worried about sending them crash reports from your injected dll
    Last edited by pushedx; 04-22-2021 at 01:16 AM.

3. Thanks xhulic (1 members gave Thanks to pushedx for this useful post)
    Copperearth's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, you could always have a sort of "hybrid" system, where an attached dll merely retrieves the information you can't trivially or quickly access externally and report it back to the external program.