Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding pointers, looking for guidance

Hey all,

I have created a bot for buying/selling currency but it relies on client.txt, image analysis, and clipboard item data for client feedback. I am very interested in finding the pointers associated with things like the inventory, trade screen inventory, and party invites/status. This is my first time attempting to read memory values and I'm having a hard time locating even the temporary addresses for any of these attributes. I'm following simple youtube guides for searching known values using cheat engine but coming up empty.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction on how this data may present in memory or what I need to do to locate it?

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm just an amateur trying to step up my game

Finding pointers, looking for guidance
    Sychotix's Avatar Moderator Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    285/572
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SomePOEGuy View Post
    Hey all,

I have created a bot for buying/selling currency but it relies on client.txt, image analysis, and clipboard item data for client feedback. I am very interested in finding the pointers associated with things like the inventory, trade screen inventory, and party invites/status. This is my first time attempting to read memory values and I'm having a hard time locating even the temporary addresses for any of these attributes. I'm following simple youtube guides for searching known values using cheat engine but coming up empty.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction on how this data may present in memory or what I need to do to locate it?

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm just an amateur trying to step up my game
    Why reinvent the wheel? PoEHUD/ExileAPI have a lot of the offsets you would probably need. That said, if you ever plan on selling the bot, it is bad business to rely on them to update your offsets. If they decide to take a break or stop altogether, you're out of luck.

There are plenty of examples of reading memory and finding pointer addresses out there. Again, why reinvent the wheel?

SomePOEGuy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sychotix View Post
    Why reinvent the wheel? PoEHUD/ExileAPI have a lot of the offsets you would probably need. That said, if you ever plan on selling the bot, it is bad business to rely on them to update your offsets. If they decide to take a break or stop altogether, you're out of luck.

There are plenty of examples of reading memory and finding pointer addresses out there. Again, why reinvent the wheel?
    Like you mentioned in your first point, if I just pull the pointers and offsets out of another tool I haven't learned how they were retrieved originally and I won't be able to find other attributes in this or other games in the future. I'd like to use this as an opportunity to learn these skills.

I've been following examples for reading memory, I just haven't had success with locating any of the data I've been searching for.

I will continue researching and testing, I appreciate your time!

NoobToken's Avatar Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    11/9
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like you mentioned in your first point, if I just pull the pointers and offsets out of another tool I haven't learned how they were retrieved originally and I won't be able to find other attributes in this or other games in the future. I'd like to use this as an opportunity to learn these skills.

I've been following examples for reading memory, I just haven't had success with locating any of the data I've been searching for.

I will continue researching and testing, I appreciate your time!
    Your best bet is to look at ExileApi source code and see how they do pattern scanning etc.

You also want to look at how ExileApi loads different DataStructs from PoE memory.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been digging into the source code and have learned quite a bit. I have a long way to go but I feel like i am finally getting somewhere.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive respect for the people who have figured this stuff out, i am driving myself crazy.

I noticed the chat messages in exileAPI are not populating so i thought i would try to figure it out and implement a fix, I have been trying to get the entity list containing all the chat messages for a few days now. I am able to locate the individual messages in cheat engine but i am not able to trace them back to any sort of list.

The first thing i did was subtract the addresses from each message to see if they were a consistent distance apart which was not the case, next i tried to compare the pointer scans from each message to see if i could locate a base + offset combination that was similar between each message. I did find a few pointers where the base address and the first 3 offsets matched but the final two offsets were different and i am unsure if/how they relate to each other.

I then decided to see if i could figure it out from the opcodes / instructions

cheat engine returns 3 addresses for each individual chat message, when i check each address to find out what accesses it only one of the addresses returns a result. This result appears after a new message is added to the chat window. Each message contains the same instructions:

I thought maybe new messages are passed through r8 so i sent a new message and checked it for any change, no dice. r8 is assigned from rdi so i checked it for change as well with no success.

Anyone able to offer some guidance on what i am doing wrong / missing?

Sychotix's Avatar Moderator Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    285/572
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive respect for the people who have figured this stuff out, i am driving myself crazy.

I noticed the chat messages in exileAPI are not populating so i thought i would try to figure it out and implement a fix, I have been trying to get the entity list containing all the chat messages for a few days now. I am able to locate the individual messages in cheat engine but i am not able to trace them back to any sort of list.

The first thing i did was subtract the addresses from each message to see if they were a consistent distance apart which was not the case, next i tried to compare the pointer scans from each message to see if i could locate a base + offset combination that was similar between each message. I did find a few pointers where the base address and the first 3 offsets matched but the final two offsets were different and i am unsure if/how they relate to each other.

I then decided to see if i could figure it out from the opcodes / instructions

cheat engine returns 3 addresses for each individual chat message, when i check each address to find out what accesses it only one of the addresses returns a result. This result appears after a new message is added to the chat window. Each message contains the same instructions:

I thought maybe new messages are passed through r8 so i sent a new message and checked it for any change, no dice. r8 is assigned from rdi so i checked it for change as well with no success.

Anyone able to offer some guidance on what i am doing wrong / missing?
    Chat messages are stored in UI elements. I'm sure there is some list somewhere... but I had difficulty tracking it down. I'd recommend throwing PoE into Ghidra as well... might give you a bit of a better idea as to what the code is doing instead of just looking at assembly.