0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worth leveling professions?

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the forums and I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice.

I'm trying to play this game without spending a penny. I using one of the bots to level my leatherworking profession to 20, currently it's at 18.

Well I was looking at the math to make purple shirts and pants tier 3 and for it to be a 100% chance for tier 3 I need 4 purple tools to get it to 200%. Is it worth doing all that? I did some math and it's going to cost me around 2.2 million AD to get 64 greens swivel knives to convert them to purple ranking eventually. That's the cheapest way I found out 4 green swivel knives are cheaper than buying 1 blue worker from the AH. Right now I'm sitting at 440K AD no where near what I need. Also need to consider buying a dragon egg to make the shirts/pants which is around 104k AD.

So is it worth it? Should I try to do it? Any advice that can help me do this a little easier?

Thank you for anyone that responded and tried to help out.

Worth leveling professions?
    ocnwo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I'm not a big fan of the professions, as far as game play is concerned. It seems, like soooo many other MMO's, to be almost an afterthought.

Of the few items that you can make early that might be useful, you outlevel them rather quickly, and so does everyone else so there is not only little value to me as the player, but little resale value to other players.

Of the high end items, really only the shirt and pants exist and they're only "good" (valuable) because there's literally nothing else in game. If I could loot a shirt with half the stats, I would never buy/make a purple shirt - the stats just don't justify the cost to me.

Now...that being said...bot level the professions to max as quick as you can, and when they actually spend som time fixing the professions and making them valuable to crafters, PvE'ers, and PvP'ers, then you're ahead of the game, ready to go when the new items come out.

That's my plan anyway.

Edit: oh, there's also something on the preview server that makes me realize they are going to add some kind of potion crafting. I'm not sure of any details though. I'm not sure if it's going to be an addon to something that exists, or an entirely new profession (but I suspect an entirely new profession)

NEFASTARU's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ocnwo View Post
    Right now I'm not a big fan of the professions, as far as game play is concerned. It seems, like soooo many other MMO's, to be almost an afterthought.

Of the few items that you can make early that might be useful, you outlevel them rather quickly, and so does everyone else so there is not only little value to me as the player, but little resale value to other players.

Of the high end items, really only the shirt and pants exist and they're only "good" (valuable) because there's literally nothing else in game. If I could loot a shirt with half the stats, I would never buy/make a purple shirt - the stats just don't justify the cost to me.

Now...that being said...bot level the professions to max as quick as you can, and when they actually spend som time fixing the professions and making them valuable to crafters, PvE'ers, and PvP'ers, then you're ahead of the game, ready to go when the new items come out.

That's my plan anyway.

Edit: oh, there's also something on the preview server that makes me realize they are going to add some kind of potion crafting. I'm not sure of any details though. I'm not sure if it's going to be an addon to something that exists, or an entirely new profession (but I suspect an entirely new profession)
    the pants and shirts are BIS and that means alot to min/maxers but that being said the markets down on them. if you really wanted to have professions be worth it you woulda wanted to be lvl 20 3-4 weeks ago when everything was worth a ton and dragon eggs were 50k. Also stat wise the epics you make besides pants/shirts are awesome BUT they have no set bonuses so you gotta decide what you think is best for you. generally they are slightly more stats than tier 2 and higher ac.

~Nef~

kevin719's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 tools purple is 40x40=160 so not 200% you can't have a sure chance to get the grade 3

sdowned's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    professions is never worth it in any mmo ive been part of. And if you think about it, that is good game design. If professions was ever worth it, people would flock to it, and mats would become very expensive to the point where professions was not worth it anymore.

There are a few players who can make money off professions, but these are the guys who play 24/7 or get an early start. If you were to take a look at how they spent their time vs some other money making techniques, you'd still find they were inefficient. It's worth it to them because they enjoy it. But for the rest of us, its not worth it.

Also, realize we are near a major content patch. Any investments you make right now can either pay huge (small chance) or totally bankrupt you (much bigger chance). For instance, what if they add a new leather shirt recipe. Will you have enough AD to get mats for new recipe and make big money? Or will you end up having to sell what you used to think was the top shirt at a loss?

JustTheDoctor's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be just me, but I still make a solid 500k-1mil buying mats, crafting epic pants/shirts and selling them off with a solid 200k profit per gemmed, It also takes nearly no gametime (spot epic task in rares, log in, craft 4-6 pieces, set few to AH, rest to bag). Release patch has no new profession contents so unless gauntlegrym drops or rewards include shirts and pants, you should be safe until the first expansion. People tend to upgrade their shirt and pants slots last so there will be steady flow of customers and most likely in future there will be more stuff to gain trough professions.

kevin719's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have the ADs better you invest it's always good, and having 40% tools will always be usefull.
    But if you don't, for instance, a shit + pants gemmed cost around 1m (max 1m), one tool with 40% is an average of 1m (yes you want the one you can use for 2 professions)
    so it would be around 4m to get the 4 tools, and it's still 60% sure that you'll have your gemmed piece, and you have to afford the dragon egg and the mats, very expensive.
    But if you have a bunch of friends it's really great because you can share the tools. I spent nearly 10m to get everything for the profession and maybe got back 2m from it, but i'm happy with that expense since if they release a new recipe, then i'm rdy to craft it.

Valliana's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried using the profession bots and I must be doing it wrong as it takes forever to lv any of mine up.. What is the fastest way to lv any of them??

JustTheDoctor's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Valliana View Post
    I have tried using the profession bots and I must be doing it wrong as it takes forever to lv any of mine up.. What is the fastest way to lv any of them??
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...vQnl1SFE#gid=0 Here is my calculations from some time ago. There are still some ways to make this faster, but the overall gain will just be a few hours at max.

tiamatq's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 20 toons praying/doing AD leadership tasks I net about 500k ad a week only spending about 20 minutes a day doing anything with neverwinter.

mxnyo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok...........................................