[Guide] AoB/Array of Bytes edits menu

User Tag List

Parog's Avatar Kitsune Da-O! M.L.G. CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    540/266
    Trade Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] AoB/Array of Bytes edits

Intro:

So you're at a point where you already know you can change values with cheat engine by finding the address that holds that value by scanning, changing and rescanning. But you don't exactly enjoy doing it every time you restart the game and/or can't be bothered telling your friends how to do it themselves as they already have issues doing simple tasks like navigating to the cheat engine download page. If this is the case, you'll enjoy this tutorial.

There are several drawbacks with scanning memory for the address that holds a value; You don't always know what the value is stored as (Double, 4 byte int, Float, etc) so it takes a lot of guess work. That memory address is sometimes just a display holder and changing it does nothing as it updates it. It can also happen that by the time you find the value you're looking for, it's too late to do any kind of edits to it.

Unlike the example mentioned above, Arrays of Bytes are not addresses that simply holds a value(Although it can be). These arrays are the game's source code in your memory. Because they are in your memory, they are represented in hexadecimal. To be honest, you don't need to understand all of this to use them, but it helps to understand why some of them stop working sometimes. This guide is primarily to explain how to use Cheat Engine to search for Arrays of Bytes and how to replace them by other Arrays of Bytes already provided by someone else or for testing your own AoB edits as you're finding code to edit.

I am releasing my AoB edits in the form of Cheat Engine Tables, so that the users can simply click a box in Cheat Engine to automate all the process I will explain, but not every user goes through the trouble of doing so.

Tools we will be using:
    • Firefox (Because it's stupid easy to find which process to attach cheat engine to using Firefox)
    • Cheat Engine

How do I AoB?:

Step A. Find a game.
    We'll be using Fish Epic from Facebook! Because it's about time you stop bugging everyone you know to help you play flash games. Click here to open Fish Epic on Facebook!
    You should wait for the game to load and open up Cheat Engine. Once it's open and the game is fully loaded, click the red square I highlighted on the leftmost top of Cheat Engine. This is to attach Cheat Engine to a process.

Step B. Attach Cheat Engine to the correct flash process.

1. Find FlashPlayerPlugin and select the BOTTOM one. (With Firefox, you're on your own if you choose to use anything else for game hacking.)
    2. Click Open once you have selected it.

Step C. Change the search value type to Array of Byte.

1. Click on the drop down menu next to "Value Type"
    2. Select "Array of Byte" from the drop down. The box next to "Hex" will become checked. Leave it like that.

Step D. Scan for the original AoB.
    Please note: Due to the extensive explanation in this thread, it's highly possible the example I gave no longer works. The method itself is still applicable, just not the AoB I will give below.

Let's say you found this in a thread; (The information bellow was updated Feb. 28 2014, the screenshots do not have the same values, but this one should work for a while longer if you want to test it.)
    Code:
    93 4f 82 2f 02 10 1e
    02 4f 82 2f 02 10 1e
    The first line represents the Original AoB. Put simply, this is what you scan for.
    The second line is what you want to change the first line to once you found it.

Side note: 93 stands for Decrement (-1). I chose in my modified AoB to use 02 (NOP) to prevent it from decrementing. You could use 92 instead of 02 if you wanted to Increment (+1) for each turn you take. More info for advanced users at AVM2 Instructions.

1. In the search field, enter the Original AoB.
    2. Press First Search.
    3. If it's a good AoB, there should only be 1 result. Click it.
    4. Once it's selected, click the red arrow button.
    5. The AoB will be moved to the watch list at the bottom of Cheat Engine. Select it and press Enter. A window will open up.

Step E. Change the original AoB to the modified AoB.

Delete EVERYTHING in the window that comes up, and replace it with the Modified AoB then press ok or enter to apply it.

Congratulation, you now know how to use AoB edits!
    Last edited by Parog; 02-28-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    What's a Parog?
    Looking for competitive Valorant team!

[Guide] AoB/Array of Bytes edits
    Teh Canadian's Avatar Elite User
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    12/8
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome guide Parog.. No rep for you because I have not been spreading it around "enough"

Keep up the great work.. Also the Tetris image brings back bad memories.

~Spazzer

Thanks G/R
    540/266
    Trade Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback!
    What's a Parog?

chad0ck's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isnt cheat engine full of virus's? I always thought it was, illl check this out tho

Thanks G/R
    540/266
    Trade Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not. Just make sure you download it from the website.

It IS a hacking tool, so it can be picked up as so by some anti-virus. Stick to modifying things you know how to modify and you'll be good.
    What's a Parog?