0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guide: WoW vs. WAR

World of Warcraft and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, the MvP vs the new comer pretty much. I will just contrast the two games, as I have played WoW for 4 years, and played a good amount of Warhammer Beta, getting 4 toons to 20.

-RACES-

.:WoW-Races:. .:WAR-Races:.
    Alliance Order

Night Elves <--> High Elves
    Humans <--> Empire
    Dwarves <--> Dwarves
    Gnomes
    Draenei

Horde Destruction

Orcs <--> Orcs
    Trolls <--> Goblin
    Blood Elves <--> Dark Elves
    Tauren Chaos
    Undead

.:Race Conclusion:.

World of Warcraft obviously has more races, some very similar to the few found in Warhammer. WoW has 10 Races, WAR is short by three.

-CLASSES-
    .:WoW-Classes:.

Druid
    Hunter
    Mage
    Paladin
    Priest
    Rogue
    Shaman
    Warlock
    Warrior

.:WAR Classes:.

@
    Career - HammerWiki : The definitive Warhammer Online wiki.

.:Classes Conclusion:.
    Once again, WoW has more choice than WAR. Though the segregation of roles in WAR is more solid in WoW, making a PvE / RvR(PvP) group easier to organize than it would be in WoW. Where in WoW there are many specs for the classes, though not all of those specs are really in demand, leaving you groupless.

-CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION-
    .:WoW:. .:WAR:.

<--Hair-->
    <--Face-->
    <--Piercings/scars/etc;-->
    <--Skin Tone-->
    Eyes
    Armor Dye
    Trophies

.:Character Customization Conclusion:.
    WAR has really more choices than WoW to customize and individualize your character. It is very rare, that one would see another player that looks alike. You can dye your armor in WAR with dye's, and you can also equip trophies, that appear on you character (placement varies on race).

-LEVELING/QUESTING-
    If you have ever played WoW you would know that questing was a big hassle, especially if the quests were "kill X and get me # of Y" and Y would never drop. In WAR when you have those type of those quests, Y will always drop! Questing in WAR is a very big improvement from WoW's.

In WAR there are PQ's also known as Public Quest's. PQ's is a good way to get gear, there are certain zones in which these PQ's are active. They reset every 2 minutes after one is done. To get gear in a PQ you must contribute by either, healing / tanking / dps'ing.

-PVP / RVR-
    PvP, player versus player. RvR, realm versus realm. In WoW PvP is really just a grind fest. Farm honor, farm BG marks, farm TONS of honor and marks. WAR has a different approach to gearing through killing enemy players. RvR is two realms competing in a Scenario(SC).

When you kill an enemy player in WAR you gain exp., renown pts., gold, and sometimes even GEAR when you loot their dead bodies. The more you contributed into killing the enemy the more likely an item will drop for you. Healers can do the same, just how much healing they put out on those around.

WAR has three kinds / types of PvP. Skirmishes, the basic world RvR enabled areas. Battlefields, open world RvR, with strategic points that need to be captured. Battlefields require the usage of artillery and siege weapons, to destroy the enemy factions castle. Lastly there are the Scenarios, Scenarios are instanced, where there are strategic pts and all objectives of the SC's vary.

-FINAL VERDICT-
    WAR imo, seems to be the better choice for casual players and players who just want to get straight to the action of killing and gearing themselves. They really cut down all the down time, that players would find when playing WoW. Also WAR supplies a large amount of individualism in the game, the way you can customize your character. The character customizations make up for the lack of races.

:wave:I have already made the switch to WAR c'ya there!:wave:

Guide: WoW vs. WAR
    Honsu's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I will definately take a look at WAR. Quitted WoW a while ago.
    I'm just a bit short on money, Would be great if they had some 10 day trial or something.. =P

unitzero89's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah after playing WAR, a lot of flaws in WoW started to become more noticeable,
    I really like that its not a grind fest like WoW, where you can become geared but still be a casual player.

I'm pretty sure they will have a 10 day trial coming out soon, hopefully.

EcHoEs's Avatar lol why u mad
    Thanks G/R
    3/1
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, WoW has more choice than WAR.

How more incorrect can you get with this statement? For WoW's 9 classes, WAR has 20, which each have their 3 own "talent trees". This together makes 60 different builds, which can each be unique.

IMHO you don't need anymore races in WAR. It is based on WAR lore, and the races are very fitting for it. There is no need for anymore races. But that's just my opinion.

And with WotLK, the quests are not so boring anymore. I too find some quests very rediculous in WoW, where monsters for example don't drop brains or eyes or ears, while they still clearly have ones on their heads.

WAR has, as you said, alot more customization. Your character can be unique when creating character, and if that is not enough, you can always dye your own armour, so you will be even more unique!

Although I found some of the character classes kind of boring, they all were pretty interesting to play with. I especially liked White Lion, Engineer and Sorcerer.

I did not try RvR so much, but it seemed alot of fun. And PQ's were alot of fun indeed! The quests in starting zone were much fun to play, especially when you could blow up people/things with cannons!

In conclusion, you don't have to be a casual player. Serious gamers can find much fun in WAR too, especially with RvR in higher levels.
    But yes, the WoW is still the game for the no-lifers. It's gonna be same Lvl 10 lvls > Raid > PvP > Raid > PvP in WotLK.

luciferc's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raids are big for WOW but to do them u must have no life as well. And The Warhamemr has raids as well for level 40.

Quty's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some clarification here:

Wow has 10 races after 4 years since release.
    Warhammer has 7 races at release, BUT! Warhammer lore has been around longer than Warcraft lore. You're forgetting a lot of other races found in the Warhammer Universe:
    Here's a quick list of races in Warhammer:
    - High Elves
    - Dark Elves
    - Wood Elves
    - Dwarfs
    - Chaos Dwarfs
    - Empire Humans
    - Chaos Humans
    - Lizardmen
    - Greenskins (Orcs and Goblins)
    - Beastmen
    - Skaven
    - Undead
    - Nagash
    - Vampire Counts

Which gives us a count of 14 races in WAR, rather than 10 in WoW (after 4 years).

Classes:

Warhammer has 20 classes at release. Most are mirrors of each other, but not exact mirrors. Swordmaster and Black orc are mirrors, but a Black Orc is a more offensive fighter, while the Swordmaster is more defensive, etc etc.
    WoW has 9 classes after 4 years, with 1 more coming. Warhammer has 20 classes at release with another 4 down the road. Not only that, but Warhammer has 7 other races to create classes for in years to come. That's A LOT of room.

PvP

I haven't tested the PvP in WotLK as I'm busy with Warhammer now. But PvP in WAR is way better than WoW's right now. With the ability for guilds to take over Keeps and display their banner is awesome. For one faction to completely take over the other side where they can't even access their city is once again, awesome!

Warhammer caters to casual gamers, hardcore gamers and everyone inbetween.

And lastly, the Warhammer Universe came first and has inspired the likes of Wacraft and many others.

alg's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Handy guide, thanks! +Rep

unitzero89's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WAR = casual players
    i have a full s3 warrior and hunter (before s4 started)
    and IMHO WAR > WoW

WoW is not casual enough for people with lives
    in WoW there is only NO LIFERS (if you want to get your monthly money's worth)

where in WAR you can either choose to be casual or no lifers (and still get your money's worth)

and yeah Warhammer lore is EPIC, since they do have many written and graphic novels, and do not forget about Warhammer 40k that is (hopefully) coming to the mmo format lol.

and yeah you may have found some classes boring but very likely thats because of the low level cap (lvl 20).

imo WOTLK is a big ripoff of WAR
    WAR has been in beta since.... err id say 2005 and im pretty sure someone from Blizz recieved a beta key.

somethings that are in Wotlk that were in WAR's 2005 beta

Artillery / Siege Weapons
    Destructible Buildings
    Achievments

only thing WotLK has different is the barber shop lol

robert9555's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, played WoW for 3 years but quit playing already, only thing I do right now is watching trailers/documentairies of WAR :P im so goddamn excited^^

Viter's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by unitzero89 View Post
    WAR = casual players
    and IMHO WAR > WoW

where in WAR you can either choose to be casual or no lifers (and still get your money's worth)

and yeah Warhammer lore is EPIC, since they do have many written and graphic novels, and do not forget about Warhammer 40k that is (hopefully) coming to the mmo format lol.

and yeah you may have found some classes boring but very likely thats because of the low level cap (lvl 20).

WAR has been in beta since.... err id say 2005 and im pretty sure someone from Blizz recieved a beta key.

Destructible Buildings
    Achievments

Sorry i have to say this, But WoW is for the casual player.
    The only reason why WoW sold so much is becaus even your old dad can play it (which means everybody can play it!)
    WoW is the most poupular MMO ever created, and that's becaus everyone can play it.

Emilie Autumn's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Viter View Post
    Sorry i have to say this, But WoW is for the casual player.
    The only reason why WoW sold so much is becaus even your old dad can play it (which means everybody can play it!)
    WoW is the most poupular MMO ever created, and that's becaus everyone can play it.
    this is NOT an offense to you plz dont take it that way

but wow has WAS more casual, now there's just so many botters, scammers, farmers, and all taht shit in wow, i know it will come to WAR soon enuff but it f*****g kills me 2 go 2 SW/ORG 2 Que and have 600 ppl runnng around "we best sell golds good buy us from",

or two be a lvl 20 trying to do a quest and have a farmer coem along and steal every lastkillof yours, which wouldnt of happened if you the rates werent so low on the bandanas defias are clearly wearing.

and everyone cant really play this i mean you play fermale you get liek 3 PSTs a day for a BJ in SW, the game is reallyfrustrating on non casual playerts, ive seen close friends lost cuz they got addicted and sped ahead of me and didnt hang round our group anymore becuz he was either playing wow,working, sleeping, or looking at wow related sites.

the fact that you cant kill a gnome when your an orc 70 with full s3 becuz he jumped u at lvl 68 died then calls in 3 70's to save him and brings hsi main wth full t6 and you come bback 6 hohurs later too find theyre STILLcamping your (happened alot) you can see how uncasual the game is.

it is the most popular MMO becuz it was a very simple design with a decent player base from the strats launched it so they would tell friends and it went on becuz it was easy to paly AT FIRST but towards the end youstart to realise that 11 hours a day wont cut it to be tops you need 3 hours sleep, caffiene *****, finish work asap, and go for 16 hours a day jsut to get some really dodgy pice of gear that really doesnt help that much cuz u still have to getoff for some reason while the guys ganking u second after second have 24/7 time on them.

IMHO WAR is the most epic game i have ever seena n i've only ahd it two days XD wow is dead to me that game was too much grind not enough playing around, i cant seehow PVE in wow is better, its all grind grind grind, BC eliminated PVE fun, but this game is honestly a must have get it if you want somthing much more indepth and orriginal tahn wow, which has the backstory ripped off a few anicient civilisations religions. but WAR has a deep well though out lore, with an actually peristant enviroment, i mean in wow BGs are the exact same thing over and over and over, SCs are just so much damn fun, and the dont take 6hours to finish while the Fking flag cappers hide where you cant find em.

again not having a go jsut voicing here =)
    Interview: Is it all behind the face?
    Emilie: No, it's all beneath the skirt.

Quty's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by FrostCore View Post
    but WAR has a deep well though out lore, with an actually peristant enviroment, i mean in wow BGs are the exact same thing over and over and over, SCs are just so much damn fun, and the dont take 6hours to finish while the Fking flag cappers hide where you cant find em.

again not having a go jsut voicing here =)
    The environment in WAR is what makes this game. The constant struggle between the two sides is so prevalent in WAR that it just makes the game x10 better. Destruction captures the zone and EVERYONE knows about it. The ground shakes and BAM! you're hit with +800 rp for just standing around =)
    In WoW, you don't feel the hate between horde and alliance.

As far as BGs and Scenarios go, it will get old, eventually. Granted, there's a helluva lot more Scenarios than BGs. You only get to play the Scenario for 10 levels then you move on to the next tier and are presented with three more scenarios, I love it!
    The catapults that launch you into the middle of battle (or into the side of the castle) are awesome.

Clovian's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by unitzero89 View Post
    WAR = casual players
    and IMHO WAR > WoW

Destructible Buildings
    Achievments

ive seen people do 10 arenas a week (takes 30-40 mins) and get full s3. ive seen people raid 4 hours a day 2 days a week and get 5/8 t6. thats a casual schedule I dont know what you are talking about.

Emilie Autumn's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by McCain View Post
    ive seen people do 10 arenas a week (takes 30-40 mins) and get full s3. ive seen people raid 4 hours a day 2 days a week and get 5/8 t6. thats a casual schedule I dont know what you are talking about.
    how many weeks did this go on for? the thing is whereit takes those on a casual schdule 6 monthsof that to get t6, those on a no-lifer schedule will will have it in 3-4 weeks and will pe pounding down on you like that, its ideally meant to be casual, but non-casual palyers always get the upper hand, undoubtbly it will happen in WAOR it always does =(
    Interview: Is it all behind the face?
    Emilie: No, it's all beneath the skirt.

freakyflow's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everyone's missing the major point.

War is more casual because there no gay item/high end instance grind fest like wow, and by gay I mean ****ing really shit.

That being said war WILL take up more casual time than wow bec pvp is so badass at high end and even low end.

In wow if i wasn't doing arena id log.. I don't pve lame 25man mickey mouse instance mobs 6 days a week. lol @ people that do that.

In war there's always pvp going on so its gonna take up a ton of time from being actually fun and not some lame item festival. war pwns. If you played daoc you know that its gonna take a while before it gets boring because its based off of guild and realm war not some single douche's queing against some servers they haven't even heard of in a 3 year old stale bg like av.
    Last edited by freakyflow; 09-22-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast