Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to relate image names of cards with their data in the XML files?

Hello everyone. I've lost an entire day trying to figure out this, and now I'm seeking for help.

I've extracted all the .assets and .unity3d files with DisUnity, as suggested in an other thread here on Ownedcore.

Now I've all the card's images from Hearthstone\Data\Win\cardtextures0.unity3d and Hearthstone\Data\Win\cardtextures1.unity3d
    I've got all the information I needed on cards from the files extracted from Hearthstone\Data\Win\cardxml0.unity3d.

What I miss is how to tell which artwork image is related to the card info extracted from the XML.
    The filename does not appear anywhere in the XML and I wasn't able to find it anywhere else in the assets/unity3d files.

If someone has figured it out, I'd really appreciate if you could share this information or, at least, give me some hint

How to relate image names of cards with their data in the XML files?
    MooseFace's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, the complete cards (as presented in the game) are NOT stored in Hearthstone. Instead, each card seems to be constructed as it is needed / played from various resources inside Unity 3D files.

For example: Argent Squire

* The card art is in the file "W11_059_D.dds" in the Unity texture file:
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\cardtextures1.unity3d
    -> Texture2D

* The edit mask (if needed) is the file "W11_059_D_Mask.dds" in the Unity texture file:
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\premiummaterials0.unity3d
    -> Texture2D

* The card is then constructued using:

- a card border, such as "Card_Inhand_Generic.dds" in
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\gameobjects1.unity3d
    -> Texture2D

- A health icon for the card, such as "healthtexture.dds" in
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\actors0.unity3d
    -> Texture2D

- An attack icon for the card, such as "attacktexture.dds" in
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\actors0.unity3d
    -> Texture2D

- etc.

* The name and text that goes on each card, as well as its cost, rarity, etc, etc is contained within individual text resource files. For Argent Squire, this data is contained in the "EX1_008.txt" file in:
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\cardxml0.unity3d
    -> TextAsset

The play, attack, death, etc sounds for each card are found in other Unity files.

For example, for Argent Squire, the play, attack, and death sounds are:
    - VO_EX1_008_Play_01.ogg
    - VO_EX1_008_Attack_02.ogg
    - VO_EX1_008_Death_03.ogg
    in the file
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\spells1.unity3d
    -> AudioClip

These are internal names, and they were never meant to be understandable for non-developers of Hearthstone. However, the names aren't always "unintuitive" like they are for Argent Squire.

For example, sometimes, the resource names within the Unity files are easily recognisable as to which card they are for, for example, Chillwind Yeti's sounds have these file names:
    - CS2_182_ChillwindYeti_EnterPlay1.ogg
    - CS2_182_ChillwindYeti_Attack1.ogg
    - CS2_182_ChillwindYeti_Death4.ogg
    in the file
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\spells1.unity3d
    -> AudioClip

And Leper Gnome's card art is very easy to recognise:
    - leper_gnome_D.dds
    in the file:
    C:\Program Files\Hearthstone\Data\Win\cardtextures2.unity3d
    -> Texture2D

As yet, I have not found a file that links all of this together. i.e. For exach card, I have not found any data that links the card text ("EX1_008.txt" for Argent Squire) to the card image ("W11_059_D.dds" for Argent Squire), or the sounds ("VO_EX1_008_Play_01.ogg", "VO_EX1_008_Attack_02.ogg", and "VO_EX1_008_Death_03.ogg" for Argent Squire). The link between these resources is missing. Probably hidden inside data stored internally in the EXE or other resource files.

I will keep searching and will report back here if I find out anything more about this.

Rozbrykany's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So guys from HearthHead, HearthPwn, etc. had to make cards graphics one by one by putting every pieces together?!

btw great job with working that out. I am curious if you will find anything more.

MooseFace's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Rozbrykany View Post
    So guys from HearthHead, HearthPwn, etc. had to make cards graphics one by one by putting every pieces together?!
    They might have done that .... Or they might have hacked the Hearthstone client to generate the cards and save them to disk. Or, they might have extracted code from the Hearthstone client and used it to create their own tool for generating the cards. Or something else ... there are other avenues .... Maybe one of the team will reply and let us know ?

I'm interested in the cards, card text, and audio because I've got a little project in mind .....

Originally Posted by Rozbrykany View Post
    btw great job with working that out. I am curious if you will find anything more.
    Thanks. I'll post back here if I find out any more ... I think further discoveries will require me poking around inside other files, such as the client EXE ....

wnrwnr's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Status

Hey guys,

Did you manage to get any more information about this? I'm too very interested in mapping card data to the resources being used.
    Cheers

sebastientromp's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

I'm late to the party, but really interested in the info if anyone of you has managed to figure it out.

Cheers!