[HOW TO] Protect against Warden menu

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    KillerJohn's Avatar TurboHUD HUDmaster CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[HOW TO] Protect against Warden

This is a short guideline on how to protect TurboHUD against Warden.
    It is very important to understand, that this is not a 100% protection, but makes it harder...

- Required: start with the steps in Section A.
    - Optional: if you want to launch the Diablo 3 client directly, without the Battle.net Launcher, proceed with Section B. Section B is optional!
    - Troubleshooting: if you encounter any problems while performing these steps, consult Section C.

A) The basic steps

- This section tells you how to run the Battle.net Launcher (and therefore the Diablo 3 client) as a limited user.
    - Note that the rest of your PC will still be running under your main username as normal. Only BNET and D3 will be running under the new limited username, in order to limit D3's ability to read THUD's running process and its files.
    - This basic steps worked perfectly for me but may not work for everybody.
    - Should there be any problems, consult Section C.

(0) Enable Secondary Login Service

(1) Create a new (standard) Windows user. Name it whatever you like.

Important: the new user account must NOT have admin rights; it must only have standard user rights.

>> PS: for the sake of this tutorial, we will name the new user PROVOSS1. Remember to replace this with your own username when doing this procedure.

(2) Navigate to the folder where your THUD files are stored in.

(3) Right-click on this folder and under the Security tab, add this new user (read #8 below for details **).

(4) Choose your newly added username and deny all access to this folder.

(5) If not done already, create a shortcut for the "Diablo III Launcher.exe".

(6) Now, you have to edit the shortcut's target. This is the text field which tells you what path the shortcut actually executes.

To do so, at the very beginning of the target you should add:

runas /user:PROVOSS1 /savecred
    ... remember to replace PROVOSS1 with your own newly created username.

>> PS: The whole text should now look something like this, as an example (the path depends on where you installed the game):

runas /user:PROVOSS1 /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net Launcher.exe
    (7) You should now be able to use this shortcut as before.
    The only difference is that your Diablo 3 client will now run under a new user account that has no access to THUD process or any of its files.

( ** To expand on Section A-3.

Under Security Tab, to add your new user account to the list:

- Click Edit.
    - Click Add.
    - In the blinking space (Enter object name field), enter the name of your new user account.
    - Click Ok, then Ok again.
    - Proceeed as indicated in the tutorial above.

B) Running Diablo 3 without the launcher

The steps in this section are OPTIONAL. They are just for convenience if you always start the game directly and not via the launcher.

So, if you don't want to start Diablo 3 via the Battle.net Launcher, try this:

(1) Perform steps 1 and 2 from section A.

(2) If not done already, create a shortcut for the "Diablo III Launcher.exe".

(3) Now, you have to edit the shortcut's target. This is the text field which tells you what path the shortcut actually executes.

To do so, at the very beginning of the target you should add:

runas /user:PROVOSS1 /savecred /env
    ... remember to replace PROVOSS1 with your own newly created username.

(4) Now after the path to your Diablo III.exe add the -launch parameter.

>> PS: The whole text should now look something like this, as an example (the path depends on where you installed the game):

runas /user:PROVOSS1 /savecred /env "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe -launch
    (5) From now on, when you double-click this shortcut you will be directly launched into the Diablo 3 client, bypassing the launcher.
    The downside of this is that you have to type in your password and Authenticator code each time your IP changes.

C) Troubleshooting

This section provides solutions for the most problems that could occur while performing steps from section A or B.

(1) Allow your newly created user account access to the Battle.net and Diablo 3 installation folders.

(2) Allow your newly created user account access to the Diablo 3 preferences folder: "C:\Users\admin\Documents\Diablo III". Change admin to that user account you installed and first started Diablo 3 with.

(3) Log into your newly created user account, start and log in to the Battle.net Launcher/App. Change back to your normal user account.

(4) If you didn't create a password for the new user account, do it. A missing password seems to have caused trouble for some users.

Important: When in the cmd prompt, the password is invisible, i.e. nothing will show when you type it. So, just type your password and press Enter.

(5) In section A-6, if the text in the target field did not work, try this one instead (i.e. putting /savecred first):
    runas /savecred /user:PROVOSS1... remember to replace PROVOSS1 with your own newly created username.

(6) In section B-3, if the text in the target field did not work, try this one instead (i.e. putting /savecred /env first):
    runas /savecred /env /user:PROVOSS1... remember to replace PROVOSS1 with your own newly created username.
    Last edited by KillerJohn; 03-26-2017 at 02:20 PM.

[HOW TO] Protect against Warden
  2. Thanks ADV2015, Xonoxo, marc7, d3pleb, Hot12345, kebabisgood, johnbl (7 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    KillerJohn's Avatar TurboHUD HUDmaster CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an extra:

If you have 2 accounts, you can configure a user account (your main one) to log on automatically on Windows 7.

(1) Click Start.
    (2) Type netplwiz, and then press Enter.
    (3) In the User Accounts dialog box, click the account you want to automatically log on to.
    (4) Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box.
    (5) Click OK.
    (6) In the Automatically Log On dialog box, enter the user’s password twice and click OK.

4. Thanks ADV2015, Xonoxo, kebabisgood (3 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - copied the original post made by prrovoss from turbohud.freeforums.org -

6. Thanks kebabisgood (1 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    jensmd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    9/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    work fine after i did:
    (4) If you didn't create a password for the new user account, do it. A missing password seems to have caused trouble for some users.

EDIT:
    do NOT work
    after i do all things above, i start battel.net and diablo
    in taskmanager i can see, the processes run as normal admin acc, not in the new created.
    why? what to do?
    i realy did ALL things above :/
    WIN 8.1 pro 64bit

is this all realy necessairy?
    Who of you has always do this? or do u all play with normal login?
    Last edited by jensmd; 03-26-2017 at 08:32 AM.

jensmd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    9/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or do i have to start my computer with the new created acc?

Stasishe's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    7/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try this one:
    create a link to executable of D3 (not a launcher!) add a command line parameter like i did:
    "D:\GAMES\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch
    and than start this .lnk by right mouse button with Shift pressed, than choose "start from another user"

this way will start 32-bit client of D3

jensmd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    9/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Stasishe View Post
    try this one:
    create a link to executable of D3 (not a launcher!) add a command line parameter like i did:

and than start this .lnk by right mouse button with Shift pressed, than choose "start from another user"

this way will start 32-bit client of D3
    thx but no solution.
    in task manager it works as normal user, not as the new created.
    i DO with shift and new user, have to give pw in cmd window.
    but afterwards see it as userprocess from normal acc in taskmanager, not from new created acc

Stasishe's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    7/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check services, search for "secondary logon" may be it doesn't work.
    Try to logon at start into a newly created account and try to start D3, may be you will get some king of system message

pumo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    4/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KillerJohn please correct first post

runas /user:PROVOSS1 /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net Launcher.exe"

Everywhere at the end of the closing quotes

Stasishe's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    7/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not everywhere at the end! If there is a parameters in a line (for example -launch), they must be out of the quotes:
    "D:\GAMES\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe" -launch

soulreaper259's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    26/8
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for Win 10 User. This works for me:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\runas.exe /user:COMPUTERNAME\PROVOSS1 /savecred /env "G:\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe -32 -launch"

just edit COMPUTERNAME into your Computer name, you can find it under "Control Panel\System and Security\System" or "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System",
    and PROVOSS1 into the username without admin rights.

15. Thanks Xylion (1 members gave Thanks to soulreaper259 for this useful post)
    Mojoguy01's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by soulreaper259 View Post
    for Win 10 User. This works for me:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\runas.exe /user:COMPUTERNAME\PROVOSS1 /savecred /env "G:\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe -32 -launch"

just edit COMPUTERNAME into your Computer name, you can find it under "Control Panel\System and Security\System" or "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System",
    and PROVOSS1 into the username without admin rights.
    Can someone help? This doesn't work! Why do I have to force 32bit?

Also, when I change the above example to my game directory it says "Cannot find". So I moved the -32 and -launch outside the quotation marks, but then it says things aren't compatible.

Is there now a Win10 example?

[edit]: To be clear this DOES not work:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\runas.exe /user:COMPUTERNAME\NEWUSER /savecred /env "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blizzard App\Battle.net Launcher.exe"
    I obviously changed the computername and newuser parts to my stuff. The launcher/game starts but always under my primary user account and not the new one.

I can switch the new user over and launch battlenet just fine.

I gave the new user explicit permissions to access both the BlizzardApp folder ANd Diablo3, but no dice.

[edit]: The only thing I can figure is that if done correctly it WILL NOT show as being run by another user in your TaskManager? I've tried everything for hours now and no dice getting it to show under Windows 10's TaskManager as under a different user when run. Soooo hopefully I don't get banned
    Last edited by Mojoguy01; 03-31-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Ceras Victorian's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Mojoguy01 View Post
    Can someone help? This doesn't work! Why do I have to force 32bit?
    Because TurboHUD is not compatible with 64-bit.

The OP provides the correct way to accomplish this (minus the typo), below is how I've been doing it from the start. Just make a new shortcut to the BNET launcher:

The "Target" field of the shortcut should be changed to the below code, changing "Test" to whatever account name you created.
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Test /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net Launcher.exe"
    The first time you run the shortcut you should get prompted to provide the password for the user account, "Test" in this example, from that point on the credentials will be saved. You don't need to make any permissions changes to make this work.
    Last edited by Ceras Victorian; 03-31-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Mojoguy01's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Ceras Victorian View Post
    Because TurboHUD is not compatible with 64-bit.

The OP provides the correct way to accomplish this (minus the typo), below is how I've been doing it from the start. Just make a new shortcut to the BNET launcher:

The "Target" field of the shortcut should be changed to the below code, changing "Test" to whatever account name you created.
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Test /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net Launcher.exe"
    The first time you run the shortcut you should get prompted to provide the password for the user account, "Test" in this example, from that point on the credentials will be saved. You don't need to make any permissions changes to make this work.
    Yea, turns out what i was doing WAS working it just wasn't showing up under TaskManager as being ran by my other account. It's working because when i run it with this my Achievements cannot reach bNet, but when I use my normal shortcut it all works fine.

Speaking of which, do we know what my second account cannot access that is not allowing it to see achievements? Someone said somewhere a long time ago that you had to give security access to specific folders somewhere other than the install location to see achievements?

[update]: Nevermind I figured it out. You have to add your limited security secondary account to the c:\programdata blizzard and bnet folders. Same thing for the AppData local and roaming Blizzard/Bnet folders. Works fine now
    Last edited by Mojoguy01; 04-01-2017 at 08:27 AM.

19. Thanks Player821 (1 members gave Thanks to Mojoguy01 for this useful post)
    bobbydigital12's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    59/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you list which folders you changed exactly? Which folders in AppData? The main account or secondary? Having the same problem as you had.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast