• Artifact: Valves New Card Game

Yes the title is true. Valve is getting their hands into the card game scene as well by turning their most popular game, Dota 2, into a fully fledged card game. The game was teased at this years International Dota 2 Championships. This was definitely not taken well by the community both at TI7 and on Youtube where the like to dislike ratio is worse than that spaceship Call of Duty trailer last year.

Usually when Valve announces something at these giant Dota 2 tournaments it is something the community has been looking forward too for a long time. Whether that be the addition of a Dota champion like Pitlord or even as big as a game changing patch such as 7.0 was. For reference here is the 7.0 announcement Now announcements like 7.0 this are what the people get hyped for at the end of these tournaments but when they showed a super short teaser for a card game the community definitely didn't take it well.

Here's a video of the crowds reaction to the announcement live at TI7

What do we know so far about Artifact? Not much but Sean Plott did mention that it would include things like Barracks, Creeps, Lanes, and Three Boards. IDK how all of this is going to be implemented into a card game but I have to assume Valve know what they are doing.

Why are people upset? Well like I said before it is not the kind of announcement people expect at these tournaments but also it kind of seems like every company, big or small, is trying to cash out on the card game scene. Ever since Hearthstone blew up on both PC and now Mobile I am sure other companies are seeing these card games as a low maintenance cash cow. So to put it simply, it comes off lazy.

At the same time I can kind of see the light at the end of this saturated card game tunnel, at least since it is Valve. Valve is definitely known for making pretty damn good games, being innovative on a already completed market, and making a ton of money while doing it. If these unique additions like lanes, barracks, and such add enough to the game I can see it being a success. One thing I would like to mention as well is that Hearthstone (which seems to be the only relevant online digital card game) does not have trading or selling of cards. Now this is not confirmed to be in Artifact as well but it seems like a great opportunity to add it with the Steam Market does it not? Having cards be actual items in your inventory for that game that are both tradeable and buyable would be a huge addition over Hearthstone. This could create a market for cards like Magic has but all through the Steam Market place. Dare I say they could even add card skins through, you guessed it, LOOT CRATES! All of this is speculation but my point is don't count the game out just yet. Wait for some more information to come in and lets see if Valve can truly change the digital card game world.

Is this game something you are going to at least give a shot if it looks decent after future announcements?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Artifact: Valves New Card Game started by Kenneth View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
      Veritable -
      That seems interesting, but does the world need another card game is my question.

The amount of developers pushing out these card games because it can be "easy money" going off of the Hearthstone bandwagon is staggering. It seems like every 3-4 months some company is taking a popular IP and making it into a card game.

Whether or not Valve can make it compete with Hearthstone is not really at question. If they throw enough money at it, it will be popular. I don't see why they can't co-exist, seeing as Heroes of the Storm and DotA 2 are co-existing as it stands along with League of Legends and the many variations of other developers of similar titles.

Regardless of what I say, it is definitely going to be good news and a good read when it is released
      DvASystems -
      Quote Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
      That seems interesting, but does the world need another card game is my question.

The amount of developers pushing out these card games because it can be "easy money" going off of the Hearthstone bandwagon is staggering. It seems like every 3-4 months some company is taking a popular IP and making it into a card game.

Whether or not Valve can make it compete with Hearthstone is not really at question. If they throw enough money at it, it will be popular. I don't see why they can't co-exist, seeing as Heroes of the Storm and DotA 2 are co-existing as it stands along with League of Legends and the many variations of other developers of similar titles.

Regardless of what I say, it is definitely going to be good news and a good read when it is released

It's not really a card game. Judging by the description it's a clear Clash Royale clone with Card Elements (Cards will be used as equipment for your heroes on the field).
      Clash Royale has 2 lanes I believe and Artifact will instead have 3 + Equipment system.

I do appreciate the crowd booing several times after the announcement.
      Kenneth -
      Quote Originally Posted by DvASystems View Post
      It's not really a card game. Judging by the description it's a clear Clash Royale clone with Card Elements (Cards will be used as equipment for your heroes on the field).
      Clash Royale has 2 lanes I believe and Artifact will instead have 3 + Equipment system.

I do appreciate the crowd booing several times after the announcement.
      Not sure how I feel about a Clash Royale clone. Never intrigued me.
      Meltazar -
      Hi, I have a question, do any of you know if the trade will be possible in Artifact?
      I mean, of course, RMT trade, I'm not interested in trading for Steam currency
      thank you And what about currency in other games. For example, the rubles in Escape from Tarkov are very valuable and I am eager to buy both weapons and rubles. I can buy up to a million rubles and be super happy, like bald. That's why people have to learn compassion and emotions are very important. People should respect each other as they respect the Escape from Tarkov game. This game may not be amazing, in my opinion PUBG is much more playable, but not only in PUBG but also eft you can get artifact and buy rubles and weapons Escape from Tarkov Items | EfT Cash & Items for sale - Buy & Sell on Odealo
      Kenneth -
      Quote Originally Posted by Meltazar View Post
      Hi, I have a question, do any of you know if the trade will be possible in Artifact?
      I mean, of course, RMT trade, I'm not interested in trading for Steam currency
      thank you
      I think it will all be done via steam market