0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with World Model Editing

I'm starting to get into ME and I wanted to try to do some harder stuff like world edits. So to do this, what program do I need? I've heard of Noggit but I'm not sure where to get it and I don't feel like installing WoW 2.4 but if I have to I can just copy my 1.12 client and upgrade that. But other then that what could I use? Or is Noggit the only one? And if I do make it with Noggit, can I take the ME and use it on a newer client.

Need help with World Model Editing
    Glynbeard's Avatar Mawd Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the newest versions of noggIt you should check out Schlumpf's thread in the Model Editing main section. It has links to the latest downloads and offers some support.

eddyhack's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you use for Model Editing?
    I need help with that too.
    thanks

pyriel's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for world editing use noggit or something similar such as yias'

for the most up to date noggit go to nogg-it its updated periodically. ( BE WARNED noggit is still under development so its not perfect, back everything up, including your wow client)

for basic editing work its always good to have MWCS, this program can open mqs, recompile them, rename files, etc etc for mwcs see the thread on model editing tools here on mmowned
    http://www.mmowned.com/forums/model-...ndows-mac.html

that thread also has things such as blp converters, so you can take blps (wow images) and convert them to png for use in programs such as adobe photoshop, as well as numerous other programs that are useful depending on what you want to do.

at your question about client version and using edits between them:
    theres pros and cons to using a new client as opposed to an old one. editing programs tend to work better on old clients simply because its hard for the authors to keep up with blizzard. onthe other hand having a up to date client gives you the largest possible choice of data at your fingertips to use (what if you want to use trees from crystal song forest and your on an old client)

when it comes to using edits across client versions it can be tricky. normally yes you can, however in the process of updating wow thigns have changed. adt's in the newer clients such as 2.x or 3.x for example have alot more chunks and data in them, and are therefore incompatible with other versions. so while a human-to-tauren edit might work fine between client 2.3 and 2.4, it probably wont work on a 3.x or 1.x client. this problem is most apparent in world builds involving adt's, an adt from a client major release client (1.x, 2.x, 3.x) is almost guranteed not to work in the others (a 3.x adt will almost certainly not work in a 2.x client)

if your just starting out on model editing here's some advice:
    1) keep it low profile for now if your on live servers. (if you know what your doing you wont get banned, but if your on a live server telling everyone your editing or flying through the air in ironforge, people will see you and you WILL get banned)

2) for very intensive edits, like full on zone edits where your making mountains and the like, its better to use a private server rather than a blizzard server...

3) take your time before doing anything out of your league, even the best editors started at the beginning, if it seems very complex and hard for you, your probably going to just give yourself a headache.

4) if your playing on live servers. before you even touch an editing program stop and spend a week or two learning everything there is to learn about what is safe to edit and what is not. thanks to some well coded programs, and one extremely poorly coded game, editing by and large is very safe to do. but i can not stress enough the value of spending some time studying and reading up on whats ok and what is risky to try.

5) study, study till your eyes bleed, then study more. any experienced editor will tell you exactly why they seem arrogant and dont like to help new people often. its because they spent alot of time and effort to learn these things (ALL OF WHICH are readily available for reading on mmowned and related sites) only to be flooded with people begging to have work done for them when they could learn how to do it in ten minutes themselves. if you dont know how to swap a model, or import from a different game, or make a mountain in noggit. google it and read anythign you can get your hands on before goign and complaining on a forum, because all your likely to get is ignored or flamed, haha

6) be prepared for extreme tediousness (if thats the right word). making something large like a world build may sound like easy fun, but it takes a whole lot of time and effort to do it right. it may take you anywhere from a few hours to a week to get the terrain just the way you want it. then you have to change the textures to match so you dont have green trees on purple grass. then you have to change the sky to match, move thigns around so they arent floating in the air, change the ground clutter....the list goes on. and when all thats done you load it into game and realize theres thigns you missed, so you have to go and tweak, polish and shine.....in other words take your time and be aware it WILL take time
    Last edited by pyriel; 12-28-2009 at 01:31 AM.