THIS IS NOT AN AUCTIONEER GUIDE!
Well folks, I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me "How can I get money and not get banned?????"
The simple answer: "Work the AH"
But very few folks know how.
This guide (written by me ^^ ) is an example of money-making tactics I use. Enjoy!
Smooth Talking: Some guy has an epic bow (worth 200g buyout) up on Trade for 150g. Now, you want it so you can re-sell it for profits. Now, why make 50g profit when you can make 100+ profit?
Step 1: Analyze the seller.
Ask yourself this: Is this guy desperate to sell to sell this item? Is this dude an expirenced buyer? Is this some 12-year-old kid who doesnt know what he is doing? A few steps you can take to answer this question:
1. See his form of advertisement. Is he screaming "Please please WTS [Item] only -Price- really cheap!" Is he stating "WTS [Item] -Price- Pst, highest offer." Or perhaps he is saying "[Item] Only -Price!!!1111oneoneone buy now!"..... you get the point.
2. Whisper him, saying you are interested. Most expirenced sellers will lay down a price and say "This is the highest bid" or "This is the starting bid" or "This amount or nothing". I personally try to avoid these folks, because they have a price in mind and they will do little (if nothing) to change it. However, if you are confident, go ahead X)
3. Desperate folks: If he says perhaps "Please buy [Item] only -Price-" then say "Hmm... what if I lower 10g?" They will hestitate, dont worry, if they accept, then they want to get the item off their hands and you are open to more wagering. If no, follow some other steps mentioned later in the guide.
4. Inexperinced folks: Its quite simple to find the foolish from the smart; use big words. "Hello, I am interested in [Item], however I would say that because of Auction House average logistics and the inflation due to the low amount of [Item] on the market, I would suggest lowering -blank- amount." If they know what you are talking about, do not fear! They may still be open to wager! If they don't, your in luck! Confusion is the first step to success (SEE WARNING LATER ON HOWEVER!!!!)
Step 2: Begin negotiations.
Lets start off with an example:
[Trade] [Seller]: WTS [Item] -Price- PST
[You]: Hello, I am interested in [Item]
[Seller]: Mmk, you good with my price?
[You]: I dont know, it seems a bit expensive...
[Seller]: (mmk he may say a few different things) Oh sorry Im new to selling this item what is the average price? (If this is said, say lower then the average price, but not too low, you dont want to scare em off!) OR Umm actually I saw it on the AH for alot higher... (If this, simply state "Well, the market does change, and this has gotten alot more expensive!") OR Sorry, I am sticking to this price (If they say this, then leave em.)
[You]: Mmk, so lets start off with -Price-, you have any other bids?
[Seller]: (Normally) Nope
[You]: Mmk, Ill start you off with -Price-, you good with that? (Start low, but NOT TOO LOW!)
[Seller]: I dont know...
[You]: Actually... if it is OK with you I want to lower since no one wants to buy it (try lowering but again DONT GO TOO FAR!)
[Seller]: Well.. seems fair...
Step 3: Closing the Deal
Time to employ the good old Auctioneer slip.
[You]: Mmk... wait, actually, lemme scan AH for a second and check w/ my buddies so I can see if the price is fair.
[You]: Actually... I think I am gonna lower to -Price-, the average AH Buyout for it is -Sorta Low Price- so I will raise -Small Price- since none are on teh AH. Ill go w/ -Price-.
The seller may try to wager, and let them do this, but DONT let them go too far. If they do, get em back on track or just say you are no longer interesed.
[You]: Kk, thanks!
Max profit Ive gotten from 1 item was 110g from some noob desperate to get an item off of his hands.
Things to avoid:
Over-confusion-While big terms intimidate the buyer into lower prices, too much will get him/her uncomfortable and they will prolly leave.
Going to far: I normally lower a price 10g at a time. Any more will scare the seller off. For example, if they sell an item for 120g and you jump down to 75g, they will prolly freak and run (Dont get me wrong... you can do this, but only if your sure they wont freak and run)
Over-all Intimidation: Many things scare a seller. The list goes on, so instead of listing everying sellers can be scared off, I will tell you how to make them comfortable:
1. Reassure them that the price you are saying is -blank- amount more then it is normally worth, but again, dont go too far. Making them feel like they are cheating you out of gold is the best bet to success.
2. Playing Stupid: This is a more recent strategy I picked up... while confusion works sometimes, stupidity works as well. Act stupid (but not so stupid you are saying "0h h@1 I am lyk s00 k3wl l0l kn i buy ur itum den join ur gld??" hehe)
Making them feel like they are tricking some stupid noob works as well as making em feel like they are cheating you.
3. Get Friendly: No one likes some scary,cold-hearted old man trying to buy stuff from you. Use things like "bud" or "mate", and make them feel comforatable. The more kind you are the more open they are to wagering.
Well, thats all for now,
Last edited by Stephen Colbert; 09-12-2007 at 08:35 PM.
You can either do what he said, or just get auctioneer and make it so much easier.
WEll, it was a o.k guide. That thing about the dude who are desperate to sell theyr stuff was quite useful. I also remember when i was happy after finding Kang the decapitator, and couldnt sell it 5 days after. i was a noob in panic, so i went reaaaal low to get some cash - SOLD = 80g [pre-tbc]
Last edited by Stephen Colbert; 09-10-2007 at 10:41 PM.
:yourock2: You just gave me rep #30! I am on the path to victory!
Lol btw I meant downloading, wasnt thinking XO. Anyway, there are plenty of guides out there for auctioneer, I can tell you how many folks where disapointed when they downloaded an add-on then screamed WHERE IS THE MONEY WTF?!?!?!
Ill make a guide for it if I need to X)
Last edited by xps980; 09-11-2007 at 08:14 PM.
emag eht tsol tsuj evah uoY
Please go back to the topic X)
Less QQ on the thread please.
i don't like your text color either, big turn off for me to read
Pretty nice... I'm already a manipulative *******, but you've got some interesting stuff there...
Say NO to hemo