Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nu-shockadin aka the Shattering, Holy Light and You.

[Disclaimer] This guide covers only Cataclysm shockadin since the others are history. What appears here might not be the absolute truth behind everything, but what moves inside a head of one specific shockadin. [Disclaimer]

What is shockadin?

Shockadin is arguably the most powerful hybrid build in game right now. Built around paladin holy tree it gives you a possibility to do somewhat powerful damage while still being able to heal very efficiently when needed.

Where is shockadin needed?

The build is extremely useful in battlegrounds, arenas and leveling. While being competent in 5-man content, it is currently not recommended for pure dps in raids or heroic content of any sort since we get only 150% crit damage while other spellcaster classes get 200% thus leaving us incompenent in scaling by gear.

Pro's and con's of shockadin

+ Ability to have versatility between healing and dps, most notably when burst is needed.
    + Only platewearing caster in the game.
    + Shockvalue in low rating arena games when the opponent suddenly realizes you can attack.

- Both your heals and damage spells are from the same school. If you get prevented from casting spells in one school, you can do nothing but run away and hope your Judgements kill the opponent.
    - People tend to have negative opinions on unusual builds, no matter if they work well.
    - No shockvalue in higher ratings where everyone plays near-perfect.

Talents

Patch 4.0.1 offered us a glorious comeback by implementing some of what are now known as the talents that make us what we are. These few talents should be mandatory for every serious shockadin out there:

Blazing Light (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=20238 ) buffing the damage of Holy Shock and Exorcism.

Infusion of Light (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53576 ) adding 10% critical chance to Holy Shock.

Denounce (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=85510 ) for cheaper Exorcism and proc chance for a free, instant one from Holy Shock.

Enlightened Judgements (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53557 ) with hit rating from Spirit.

Builds

In this section i tried to gather the best available specs for shockadins, be it for leveling, battlegrounds or just soloing.

(http://www.wowhead.com/talent#schrdrduu0d0bZc )
    This is the basic shockadin build at lvl 79, leaving you with 5 points on max lvl to place yourself by your needs. Goes great for leveling and soloing in PvE.

(http://www.wowhead.com/talent#scIrdrduu0dbbZc )
    Here we have the first spec with 5 points used on healing viability given by Clarity of Purpose and Divinity. Use this if you think you need to get some more healing power out of your character.

(http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sfhMdrduu0dRbMZc )
    In this spec Last Word is sacrifised for better damage output by Arbiter of the Light and Seals of the Pure and making your only crowd control spell more powerful by putting the leftovers to Protection tree to get Imp. Hammer of Justice. Last Word should only be sacrifised if you think you are going to be using Judgement alot more than you do by default. If this is not the case, i advice you to use this build instead: (http://www.wowhead.com/talent#schrdrduu0dRbMZc )

Spells

As a shockadin, your damage dealing mainly builds around Holy Shock and Exorcism, here i will explain more closely how you should use them and all the other important spells.

Holy Shock is the one single ability you want to have on cooldown all the time you are dealing damage, all thanks to Denounce.

Exorcism is your friendly neighborhood spammable damage spell, you should be spamming it when there is no healing needed and Holy Shock is on cooldown.

You should mainly be using Judgement for refreshing Judgements of the Pure on you, wich means basicly once every ~1 minute and of course slamming that runaway druid, rogue or shaman with some Justice (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=20164 ), if you know what i mean. One might argue on behalf of the good things using Judgement on every cooldown brings, but i wont, simply because i see none. Not like we are made of mana.

Inquisition is your best friend when it comes to the Holy Power. 30% Holy Damage increase for 4sec*number of Holy Power used is the best thing that's gonna happen to you after picking your talents.

Divine Favor, what can you say? Oh, i know, USE IT. If you don't have it your build, change your build. If Inquisition is the best thing that's gonna happen to you after picking your talents, this one is near-as-good runner up for tight situations.

Crusader Strike might get useful when you have no chance to get away from melee range. Also useful when you need to make fast Holy Power.

Do keep in mind that the line between skill and lack of it is drawn with the smart usage of your whole spell arsenal. Shockadin without Hands is no better than hitting your head to your keyboard.

Glyphs

Prime:

Mandatory

Glyph of Holy Shock, always a good choice be you healing or killing.
    Glyph of Divine Favor, 10 seconds added to your supermanmode can never hurt you.

Choose your weapon

Glyph of Word of Glory, better survivability and healing, if that is what you need.
    Glyph of Exorcism, the DoT seems to be broken and it vanishes every time it goes back on. If you're spamming Exorcism as should be done, the DoT really has no time to tick, thus, useless until fixed.

Major:

Mandatory

None. Everything after this depends on your playstyle. For damage output Hammer of Wrath and for utility it's Turn Evil. Whatever rocks your boat.

Stats

As a shockadin, you should be stacking spell power and intellect (for spell power). Get enough spirit to be able to hit someone and keep your mana up while doing it, no more is necessary. Since shockadin is mainly pvp spec, i would recommend you getting decent amounts of resilience and armor too. Last one is easily acquired by aiming to get the 5% intellect bonus from plate specialization and resilience comes in good amount from (surprise surprise) pvp set and off-set.

Seals and Blessings

Seal of Insight will be the one you use the most, it damages, heals and restores mana.

Seal of Justice, very situational, as stated on Spells earlier, used to stop stop your fleeing enemies.

From Blessings you should always have Kings on with the exception of the situations when you have a druid with you since Mark of the Wild doesnt stack with it.

Final word

This guide will be released simultaneously on multiple websites by me, Ew aka Arcthica aka Tampsuuna of Chamber of Aspects EU. The goal of this guide is to spread shockadin comeback awareness amongst the gaming community of World of Warcraft and make shockadins, including me aware of their true power. It was made in hurry to reach the deadline for a contest on one of the websites it's released on, i lost the track of time while writing it and -WHOOPS- it's already 4.15am. I realize posting this on several separate sites simultaneously risks my possibilities of winning the contest on MMO-Champion but that is a risk i will have to take for the sake of being a good person.

I would like to thank:
    Blizzard – for all the Blizzard stuff (duh).
    My little sister – for bringing me coffee while i wrote this guide.
    Christian church – for the free holiday that finally allowed me to wrap this up.

All feedback is welcome and will be read carefully and thoughtfully.

To Boubouille of MMO-Champion: If you found this post by googling, yes, i am the same Tampsuuna that posted this same guide to the guide contest section of MMO-C.
    Last edited by Tampsuuna; 12-28-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: TYPO's

Nu-shockadin aka the Shattering, Holy Light and You.
    skatyer's Avatar Site Donator
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice guide! +rep .I laughed so hard at :
    "I would like to thank:
    Blizzard – for all the Blizzard stuff (duh).
    My little sister – for bringing me coffee while i wrote this guide.
    Christian church – for the free holiday that finally allowed me to wrap this up."

Tampsuuna's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very glad someone likes it, thank you.

Parrky's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This build is suprisingly brutal, I have first hand experience both using it and fighting against it (spell lock lol)

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, honestly the only downside i've found so far is the lack of cc's. Thou still i rather play shockadin than a one-use-only healer.

QwEEErtzu's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like retri is history for me. Thanks for this guide will have to check it out just problem is since I'm pvp holy 2 don't wanna farm for 2x same items just so I can put other gems / enchants +rep. By the way now I chalenge you to make best cata shockadin pvp video, would really like to see some from you guys that are interesting in this build.
    Last edited by QwEEErtzu; 12-25-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll promise you that i'll give it a try. Have to remember my hardware limitations, this basket ain't no cannon. I'll let you know when i got something!

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to hear that. Gotta see it as soon as posibble ^^ gl in making, it doesn't have to be something serious just few min showing out

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great big thanks for the idea!

shindaustin's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh the shockadin spec is back =D
    i missed you!

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta admit that i didn't before i tried it out, i hated it so hard. But then again i guess it could be because i didn't play paladin back then in the old times.

DariasPerenolde's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm completely new to this forum, but I'm interested in the Shocky build in Cata after loving it in TBC and mourning it's loss come Wrath. Also, I'm going to post a reply to the zomgflamed "Shockadinquisition" thread that's out on the WoW boards:

The way I've been playing as a shockadin now, and the way I played during TBC was as a healer who could DPS, but didn't always necessarily. In a dungeon, I never dreamed of being a full-on DPSer, but stayed in a healing role. However, when questing / dailies / etc., I was able to produce enough punch to kill things that being a "cookie cutter" holy pally couldn't do.

I still love playing as a shocky at 85, but yeah, I know it's not raid-viable damage (and I don't intend to raid anyway). I know that it's not going to be top of any healing charts either for the same reason (and same previous parenthetical). I also know that as has been said, it's also pretty close to being an arcane mage....but I'm OK with it.

The one thing that troubles me is that I have seen no less than four different descriptions on various websites and forum threads that state how to prioritize gear. Specs are pretty consistent with wiggle room of where to put the last couple of points, but one place will say Int > Haste > Spi > Crit > SP, and the next will say it's Int > SP > Spi > Haste > Crit, etc.

Again, I still have fun having 2.75 talent specs, but I'd really like to see some clarity on that.

EDIT: Btw, I do enjoy PvP as well, and that's what I've just jumped back into after dinging last week. I'm holding strong there, but I'd also like some PvE assistance as well.
    Basically, a number of things were in conflict between Latrocius' OP on the WoW boards, the Wowhead Shockadin guide (which is of course outdated as it's for 4.0.1), and what you've posted.

Regardless of what the haters say...this IS a fun way to play the class. If we can find a consistent concept of it, we can make it more accessible to others who want to play outside the box.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, SoJ not worth using? I can totally see why it's so flamed, especially when rogues can be true bitches to fight anywhere.

DariasPerenolde's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's because he's trying to get it to work purely in PvE and isn't really caring about the PvP aspects. *shrug*

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a video fast ^^, btw anyone tried the spec yet? tell us! =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast