Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amigo's Death Knight Pro-tips

[I will keep this thread updated]

1. Bind focus macros for the following abilities: (use /cast [@focus] spellname)
    ◦ Death Grip
    ◦ Mindfreeze
    ◦ Gnaw
    ◦ Strangulate
    ◦ Chains of Ice

Use comfortable binds for these and get used to them because your roll is utility in most comps.

2. Bind a focus Dark Command to your main attack(s). This will keep any healers in combat, assuming they are in range/LOS, without using and runes or runic power. It's also very helpful to bind /startattack to as many abilities as you can for easy targeting and switches. The /petdefensive is used because when Huddling your pet, it's sometimes more effective to have him leap towards you (See tip #24), and it's better to use a /petfollow in said macro.
    Code:
    /startattack
    /cast scourge strike
    /cast [@focus] dark command
    /cast !rune strike
    /petdefensive
    3. If you really want to get the most use out of your Dark Command, then you're either going to have to avoid using the Scourge Strike macro in certain times, or just straight up not bind Focus Dark Command in the macro. If you don't have dispels or your dispeler is CC'd, you can taunt a Water Elemental, Gargoyle, or pretty much any form of pet to break a CC such as a Polymorph, anticipated Blind, etc.

4. When a rogue opens up on you with a Cheap Shot, use your Gnaw with 1 second left on the Cheap Shot so you're able to Chains of Ice for runic power -> Icebound Fortitude to avoid being Kidney Shot.

5. If your partner calls out that they've been Scattered, the hunter is most likely going to lay a trap. Have your pet leap to your partner and Stay in order to counter this.
    Code:
    /cast [@partnersname] Leap
    /petstay
    6. Here is macro, thanks to Proditor, that allows you to control your not-so-well-designed Gargoyle, while keeping your ghoul on whichever target you want. I'm not sure if there's currently an easier way to do this, but this is the only method I've found that actually works. It's going to change your focus, but it's definitely worth it. This will summon the gargoyle, and if you wish to change its target, simply use the macro again on whatever target you desire:
    Code:
    /cast summon gargoyle
    /focus pettarget
    /petfollow
    /petattack
    /petattack [@focus]
    This also works, but changes both your gargoyles & ghouls target to whoever you are targeting:
    Code:
    /petfollow
    /petattack
    7. To avoid being sapped, you are able to send your pet in to attack the rogues partner from any distance. Your partner can heal you, but they will still be vulnerable to sap, so technically you're not in combat. You need to spam pet attack on any visable target and rush in on foot to do this. Pretty useful against RMP and RLS.

8. Get comfortable with controlling your ghoul - it's underrated. Personally, I have Alt+Scroll up set to /petattack [@focus], while having Alt+Scroll down set to /petfollow me. This is great for keeping shamans in combat who are using water-shield. You're easily able to toggle your pet on and off the shaman without giving him too much mana.

9. Use a Chains of Ice macro for Shadowfiend if you have any binds available. Very helpful! (I'm going to be downvoted by every priest for this)
    Code:
    /cast [@Shadowfiend, harm, exists, nodead] chains of ice
    10. Lichborne can be used for many things other than just breaking fear. Lichborne also prevents:
    ◦ Seduce (Will also break this effect on use)
    ◦ Sap
    ◦ Polymorph
    ◦ Hex
    ◦ Any form of fear (Will also break this effect on use)
    ◦ Mind Control (Will also break this effect on use)

11. Use a macro to Lichborne-heal yourself along with the Glyph of Death's Embrace (This refunds 20 runic power when using death coil to heal). This is assuming you don't have a problem with filling your inventory with corpse dust instead of using the Glyph of Raise Dead).
    Code:
    /cast !lichborne;
    /cast [@player] Death Coil
    *Note: Lichborne can be used at any time during a crowd control effect. This is great for preventing back to back polymorphs which overlap and do not allow any time between each other. An example of this would be using Lichborne to prevent Warstomp -> Hexs

12. Death & Decay is amazing for interupting healers who are LOS and drinking. You can be in the middle of Nagrand Arena and interupt a healer drinking almost anywheres on the map.

13. While Chains of Ice is effected by Cloak of Shadows, Plague Strike is not. When a rogue uses this ability it's best to reapply Plague Strike right away. And despite being subject to Grounding Totem, Death Grip is considered a physical ability and is not affected by Cloak of Shadows.

14. I mentioned using a focus Death Grip macro in the first tip. I cannot stress enough how huge this is for interupts. Don't just use it to close gaps.

15. If you're running with a warrior, Chains of Ice -> Death Grip another target into range of the Bladestorm for more pressure.

16. When a warrior is Bladestorming one of your team-mates, Death Grip it off them. Also, you will be criticized for doing this but when in Dalaran, Blade's Edge, and Ring of Valor, you're able to Death Grip the warrior off a pillar or ledge during the Bladestorm, but you have to watch for a Grounding Totem. Any good warrior will cancel the Bladestorm and Spell Reflect if he see's you jump off the ledge.

17. Remember to cancel Lichborne if you see a priest casting Shackle or a pally using Turn Evil on you (/cancelaura Lichborne works).

18. When you see a mage pop his Mirror Images, lay a Death & Decay over them because they have next to no health.

19. Remember that both your Death Grip and Mindfreeze can be grounded. You can use an addon to show an alert or the "Grounding Totem" buff (I use Elkano's Buff Bars). If you need to use either of these abilities and there is a Grounding Totem down, just cast a quick Chains of Ice to get rid of the totem.

20. Your opponents will probably kill your ghoul if they are training you, or planning a quick switch for a kill on you while your Summon Ghoul is on cooldown. Keep in mind that you're able to also Death Pact your Gargoyle.

21. In order to better utilize your Ghoul, you can use a mouseover petattack macro. This macro will cause your ghoul to attack your mouseover, and if there is no mouseover, then it will attack your current target. It is great for stomping totems without switching your current target.
    Code:
    /petattack [target=mouseover,exists][exists]
    22. Take note that Anti-Magic Shell not only prevents magic spells from being applied, but also poisons. Another great use for Anti-Magic Shell is preventing Nature's Grasp or traps.

23. Gargoyle is affected by Unholy Presence, however Blood Presence does not provide any bonus. By using your Gargoyle in Unholy Presence, it will gain extra haste allowing 3 more casts. However, it can be killed early or shackled so it's generally not worth the rune to switch - but good to know if you're already in the stance. Also, if you're going to Bloodlust/Heroism, do it before you summon your gargoyle or it will not receive the benefit.

24. If your pet is being targeted by a melee, it's usually helpful to have your pet Leap towards you. Rather than just using the Leap trick to help your partner from being trapped, you can also prevent yourself from being the victim of a trap. /petfollow is optional, but more effective because you'll able to run behind a pillar with your pet to LOS any range damage.
    Code:
    /cast [@player] Leap
    /petpassive
    /petfollow
    25. If your diseases are about to fall off and the target death knight uses Anti-Magic Shell, you are still able to refresh them via the Glyph of Disease by using Pestilence.

26. If you notice that the priest is low on mana, has not Hymn of Hope'd, and is running LOS he is most likely going to first check to see if there's a Ghoul he has to Shackle, and then he will Hymn. Pulling your Ghoul off the priest just temporarily can juke him into using it when you are perfectly aware and can easily have your pet switch back to him for the Gnaw.

27. It never hurts to carry an extra weapon engraved with Swordshattering. Using this will reduce the duration of those disarms that feel like they will never end. A rogues rotation usually starts with a Cheap Shot -> Kidney Shot -> Dismantle with 1 second left. If you're able to pull off tip #4, the rogue will probably go right into a dismantle. This is where equiping your Swordshattering weapon comes in handy.

28. Recently double healer/DK has become fairly popular. Because you're no warrior with an MS, you need to be in control and allow your priest to get in those Mana Burns. When you and your priest are ready, Chains of Ice -> Death Grip the opposing healer (or Mana Burn target) into LOS of your priest, usually the middle of the map is the best position. If you're running with a padadin as well, have him pop Aura Mastery so that you can get in as many Mana Burns as possible. Using a Hammer of Justice on the burn target into a Gnaw is usually a good idea. It's not uncommon to get half of a mana bar within the first 15 seconds of the match.

29. It's best to start a match in Frost Presence. Having to switch to switch back to Blood Presence is only going to consume a blood rune, whereas if you start in Blood Presence and are bursted right out of the gate, you are forced to use a frost rune hurting your damage and survivability.

30. This next tip is especially helpful in 5v5 where an extra 5% damage can make the difference between a kill or not, assuming you're lucky enough to make the cut on a 5v5 team. Clutch Death Grips are very important in 5s, and one of the best places to do this is in Dalaran Sewers. You want to grip the kill target down to the lower area, using the wall to LOS it's healers. At each corner in Dalaran Sewers, there is a Shadowsight that spawns after 90 seconds. You are able to grip a player into this Shadow Sight, and it will increase the targets damage taken by 5% for the next 15 seconds. Just think of it as gripping Power Sparks for your team.

31. [2v2] The following can be performed by any class, but I will explain how a Death Knight would do so. Druids will often try and open with a Cyclone right out of Prowl. Cyclone is a 1.5 second cast, not including haste, so you will have a hard time targeting the Druid in time to interupt the opening Cyclone. Here is a macro to instantly Death Grip the druid, assuming he is the 2nd to appear in a 2v2 match. You have to use this at your own discretion. If you're going to use it, you best spam it while going heads up versus the druids partner.
    Code:
    /cast [@arena2] Death Grip
    32. Another great 2-in-1 pet macro that allows you to use the same bind to corpse explode as you do to summon your ghoul:
    Code:
    /cast [nopet] raise dead; [@pet] corpse explosion
    33. Sick of using Death and Decay only to have it not work due an invalid area? You can't really spam it because it will toggle on and off. This macro will prevent it from toggling so you can spam the macro and click in your desired area simultaneously:
    Code:
    /cast !Death and Decay
    34. If you press Huddle more than once, then it will cancel the cast. By adding an exclamation mark before the spell name, it will not cast a spell if it's already active.
    Code:
    /cast !Huddle
    35. Presence dance. (If you play in unholy presence, just switch that with Blood Presence).
    Code:
    /cast Blood Presence
    /cast Frost Presence
    36. The damage portion of Chains of Ice will work on a hunter with Deterence when using Glyph of Chains of Ice. However, this won't slow the hunter.

37. [Bug] Frost Fever will be applied when you Chains of Ice a rogue with Cloak of Shadows up. It will also be applied to your target through a Grounding Totem, and any form of Spell Reflection. This does not mean that the target will be slowed. This only works for Chains of Ice and NOT Icy Touch. It is assumed to be a bug as of a recent patch.

38. [Bug Fix] There's a bug where you will be in line of sight and range, not be silenced, and have enough runic power, yet Summon Gargoyle will not work. This only known fix for this is to drop your current target and re-target.

39. If you're ever in a situation where you cannot utilize tip #7 to avoid being sapped (double/triple stealth teams), and there's not much more you can do with your ghoul, put him on /petstay a distance away from you, so that when the rogue opens on you with a Cheap Shot, your ghoul will Leap behind the rogue, circumventing any problems you would have with your initial Gnaw being dodged via Evasion.

And the most important...
    Don't Rage! Whining in vent will most definitely affect your gameplay.

Contributors:

Agadqt
    Aethros
    Fearfulbro
    Jigslol
    Proditorqt
    Daiyoko
    Yamato
    Axgammar
    Last edited by amig0; 05-27-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Amigo's Pro-tips for New DKs
    Thidan's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/15
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copied from http://www.***********.de/forum/wow-...ould-know.html.
    Atleast rewrite it with your own words...?

Edit:
    Not allowed to pass through the filter but make a quick google search with any copied sentence and you'll se which elite pvper that has brought you this.

Edit2:
    Also seen this on AJ a while ago.
    Last edited by Thidan; 03-23-2010 at 09:01 AM.

amig0's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thidan View Post
    These are my own words
    Edit: PM me on AJ.
    Last edited by amig0; 03-23-2010 at 09:11 AM.

senior2k5's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guide looks really helpful, just hope it actualy is your own work ^^

thelittleguy1300's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stating that you are amigo (i have no problem with this) is somewhat a bad idea.... Your toon's information is on the AJ page. Might want to watch out for a ban from bliz!

amig0's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by thelittleguy1300 View Post
    Stating that you are amigo (i have no problem with this) is somewhat a bad idea.... Your toon's information is on the AJ page. Might want to watch out for a ban from bliz!
    I have not done anything to violate the ToS.

Unholyshaman's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thidan View Post
    Copied from http://www.***********.de/forum/wow-...ould-know.html.

Edit:
    Not allowed to pass through the filter but make a quick google search with any copied sentence and you'll se which elite pvper that has brought you this.

Edit2:
    Also seen this on AJ a while ago.
    amig0 is indeed the owner of the original thread from EJ Forums, he actually contacted me about it a few days ago.
    Everyone please keep in mind that it IS possible that MMOwned users do browse more than 1 forum, although we do encourage members to use MMOwned as their primary information source, he was simply brining content that he previously posted else where to MMOwned.

Honestly I don't see what is wrong with it. I have been here for quite a number of years now and always seen people talking about blocking out your name in screenshots etc etc, though honestly Blizzard won't do anything to you simply because you are a member of MMOwned. If you post a screenshot of you hacking then ofc you going to block out your name else Blizzard may possibly directly investigate. However amig0 is just posting an honest DK guide.

I have often had my WoW blog link in my signature that displays information about my proper WoW characters, however I feel that I have nothing to fear because I have personally not done anything wrong. I have done nothing to violate Blizzard's policies and if they choose to ban me for being a member of MMOwned then that's their loss of sales not mine.

Thidan, just because he copy and pasted a guide to MMOwned doesn't mean you need to report the post. Players are allowed to post guides from other websites on MMOwned providing that it isn't a repost of a current or similar guide on MMOwned. While you do not have to give a source when posting a guide, it is generally considered polite to do so. You can't claim the guide as your own if it isn't yours, but in this case it is his.
    Last edited by Unholyshaman; 03-23-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Razgul's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    + 3 rep from me then. i dont personaly play dk, but seems you made a great effort to make this guide.
    +Rep ANY post you like!

Parog's Avatar Kitsune Da-O! M.L.G. CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    540/266
    Trade Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome guide. I don't usually read these, but the format, use of colors and the usefulness of all the tips that are unknown to most DKs ( As there's barely any good DK out there. ) made this an enjoyable read. Prime example of what a guide should be.

+7 +Rep
    What's a Parog?
    Looking for competitive Valorant team!

Dankone's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blizzard doesn't have a room full of trained monkeys going through the web with a fine-toothed comb on a witch hunt trying to find any incriminating evidence with which it can justify a ban. Merely having the same account name on two different forums is hardly evidence which incriminates him beyond a doubt. And oh, by the way, just having a forum account here isn't bannable. Although the ToU technically states that Blizzard, not you, owns your account and can ban you for no reason at all, if it did this on a regular basis it would accumulate a bad reputation for handing out bans that are not fully investigated.
    Last edited by Dankone; 03-23-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Thidan's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/15
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To amig0.
    I'm terribly sorry for "flaming" but, it's just a normal reaction on these forums as we've had so many googlers around here (Googles 1 keyword, copypastas and then takes all the credit)
    But next time, might add something like, "I've already posted this on bla bla" to avoid misunderstandings.
    Have 2 cookies for effort.

tifaz's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To amig0
    i like this guide. but to be an example for others:
    i read it on AJ a while ago when it was 1st bought up but can you plx give credit to the others that helpd and suggestd more information to u? from memory when the guide 1st came up it was only 24ish points and the others are helpd from the DK community on AJ so plx place them into the credit. agadqt is 1 of those ppl
    (reference: Amigo's Pro-tips for new DKs [Updated] - Page 2 - Arena Junkies Forums)
    im sure they are others.

also relaying to ur question on 2) Corpse Explosion GCD Bug
    there are a few ways to get around it. 1 of the ways i personaly use on my own dk is
    the standard CE macro and then i bind pet attack claw to 1 or more of my other strikes.
    and turn autoclaw off. that way if u push CE ur have a 6sec cd and ur pet wont claw to cause gcd on it. preventing it from going off.

/cast plague strike
    /cast claw

amig0's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by tifaz View Post
    To amig0
    i like this guide. but to be an example for others:
    i read it on AJ a while ago when it was 1st bought up but can you plx give credit to the others that helpd and suggestd more information to u? from memory when the guide 1st came up it was only 24ish points and the others are helpd from the DK community on AJ so plx place them into the credit. agadqt is 1 of those ppl
    (reference: Amigo's Pro-tips for new DKs [Updated] - Page 2 - Arena Junkies Forums)
    Yes, it did start out as only 24 tips, but I gradually added to the guide as I thought of them, and also as other players supported the thread with ideas.

I do give credit where credit is due. As you can see, I've even linked the AJ users page.
    Last edited by amig0; 03-25-2010 at 02:14 PM.

tifaz's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +rep from me

qwoxx's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R