0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] How to be a Good Hunter!

Since the EU realms are down, I got enough time to write another guide for you guys, no ;>?

Well, this time I'm going to teach all fellow Hunters out here how to play their class. I'm only focussing this guide at PvE level 80 Hunters

Table of Contents
    I. What should a Hunter do in groups/raids?
    II. Rotations and macro's.
    III. Maximize your dps!
    IV. What Raiding Spec should I have?

I. What should a Hunter do in groups/raids?

First of all, the Hunter is a pure DPS class. This means they will never heal, and never tank. Before anyone goes say this is wrong: I agree your pet (and sometimes you) can tank some lower level mobs, or keep a mob busy till tank gets there, but you still can't call it a real tank.

In easy instances/raids, you mostly will just dps. A Hunter has both single target, and aoe damage. With mobs in groups of 3 or less, you should always singletarget. With more, it still depends on the situation: are they spread? Does the tank have problems with aggro? Is there any CC? If it's any of those, don't aoe.

If the instance or raid is a bit harder, there might be times you need to CC (in 25mans the chance is really high there are better CCers in the group, and you rarely have to CC there anyway).
    The Hunter has the best CC in the game: traps. Traps work against (almost) every target, stays longer then the trap cooldown (I assume you got the right spec, which I will come back on later), and can be shot from a distance with Freezing Arrow.

Another CC Hunters have, is Wyvern Sting. This CC is rarely used in PvE (In PvP in can be nice to keep people from your FC), as it has quite some bad things on it:
    First, it stays for 30seconds, with a 1minute cooldown, so you can't keep it up.
    Secondly, after the 30seconds, the mob will get a DoT for 6seconds, making a new CC in that time impossible, because it will break from the DoT (unless you banish or cyclone).
    And as last, you will not be able to use Serpent Sting in the time then, as you can only have 1 sting up at a time.

Another thing Hunters will sometimes be asked for to do (mostly happens in raids), is kiting.
    Kiting is the art of getting and keeping aggro on a mob, drag it away from the group and making sure no one (so neither you) gets hit. The easiest way doing this is:
    Hunters mark -> Pull -> run away (cheetah if needed, but be careful for the daze) -> keep using aimed and explosive shot.
    Reminder, you can use traps, wyvern sting and scatter shot to slow him down if needed.

II. Rotations and macro's.

Thanks to wowwiki for some of the macro's.
    There are quite a few good macro's out there, and some Hunters dont even use any of those. Shooting rotations ain't needed anymore since 3.1, since auto-shot doesn't clip anymore with Steady, however the lazy Hunter still uses it.

Most of the macro's I will list are for Survival, since this is at the moment the best PvE raiding spec.

#showtooltip Bestial Wrath
    /cast Kill Command
    /cast Bestial Wrath
    /cast Call of the Wild
    /cast Rapid Fire
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    This is your I.W.I.N. Button. You will have to remove Bestial Wrath if you ain't BM tho. You can add Beserking/Bloodyfury/other racials if you got em .

It casts Kill Command, Call of the Wild, Rapid Fire, and it activates your 2 trinkets (slot 13 and 14).

#showtooltip
    /stopcasting
    /stopattack
    /petfollow
    /cast Freezing Trap
    /stopmacro [nogroup]
    /p {square} Trap Set
    This one is handy for CC. It stops your attacks, as well as the ones from your pet, casts Freezing Arrow and then announces it in /party.

This is one I use:

/petattack
    /petfollow [target=pettarget,exists]
    On the first click, it makes your pet attack, and on your second click, it comes back to you again.

#showtooltip Runic Healing Potion
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
    /use Runic Healing Potion
    /use Healthstone
    /cast Deterrence
    /cast [modifier:ctrl] Disengage

/target focus
    /cast Misdirection
    /targetlasttarget
    This macro casts Misdirection on your focus, and switches back to your target right away. If you got the tank on focus, this allowed you to MD him fast.

This one is very easy if you get in trouble. It uses a Potion and Healthstone (if you have one), then it casts Deterrence (which has even more use in next patch!), and then, if you also press ctrl, it casts Disengage. If that isn't enough yet for your tank to come, you could always Feign Death ofcourse.

But Aldun, what rotation should I use?

It's very easy actually, but it's different on trashmobs then on bosses ofcourse.

On a boss:
    Before the fight: Hunter's mark.
    Open with Serpent Sting, refresh each time when needed.
    -> Black Arrow (Refresh when it's off CD.)
    -> Explosive Shot
    -> Aimed/Multi
    -> Steady (if the rest is on cooldown, and I assume you got Kill Command macro'd already in this)
    -> FCFS (First come, First Serve, with Explosive shot on prio)
    -> Killshot <20%

On low, easy, fast dieing trash:
    -> Explosive Shot
    -> Aimed/Multi
    -> Steady (If the rest is on cooldown)
    -> FCFS (Explosive on prio, unless mob is soon within 2seconds)
    -> Killshot if the mob doesn't die too fast for that.

III. Maximize your dps!

Maximizing your dps costs money. You will need enchants, gems, a belt buckle, reputation etc.

Gems:

Any hunter that isn't hitcapped should use Hit rating gems. Period. The hitcap for hunters is 263, which translates into 8%. Also, this is transferred to your pet. (Thanks Sync, forgot to add this ).

After that, it depends on color (unless your really slacking on a stat).
    Red: 16agi (Or 32AP, if you prefer that, but remember your talents that increase your Agi).
    Yellow: 8 Agi/crit (Yellow is also the first prio for your hit rating gems.)
    Blue: 8 Agi/stam
    Prismatic: Enchanted Tear
    Meta: Chaotic Skyflare Diamond or Rentless Earthsiege Diamond.

I did not add Epic gems, because theyre mostly too hard to get from Fishing daily, and 3.2 isn't out yet .

Enchants:
    Cloak: +22 Agi
    Chest: +10 stats
    Bracers: +50 AP
    Gloves: +20 Agi
    Boots: +16 Agi
    Weapon: +26 Agi
    2H Weapon: +110 AP
    Scope: +40 crit
    Leg Armor: Icescale
    Shoulders: +40 AP, 15 crit

Thanks to Hungryshadow by helping out with some of the gem and enchant choices.

IV. What Raiding Spec should I have?

There is no 1 spec that's the best. Period. It depends on your gear, hitcap, playstyle etc. The basic will be the same, but some talents will have to be switched.
    I will list one spec here: Survival. Any good Hunter knows this is the best raiding spec at the moment, so I'm not going to discuss others. However, not every talent might be useful or needed for it, so I will sometimes give an explanation for a talent, and then decide if you want/need it or not.

The Marksman part seems obvious to me. 1/2 points in GFTT to maintain enough focus for the most important pet abilties.

No 3/3 Hawk Eye?: Indeed, some Hunters like it, and it can be usefull, but other talents are more worth it for extra dps.

Where's my Resourcefullness?: Gone. Other talents are more worth it. You don't use the abilties from this talent much (except Black Arrow), and only the CD on BA isn't worth it.

2/3 Expose Weakness: Simple, should be up all the time this way

2/3 Hunting Party: Many classes give Replenishment, so this is up all the time. the Agi is nice, but there are talents that give a higher dps increase.

That was my guide =) If you got any questions, comments or tips, please post em. You may keep the flaming somewhere else.
    Last edited by Aldun; 07-15-2009 at 04:19 AM.

[Guide] How to be a Good Hunter!
    Syncness's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    2/65
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should briefly explain why SV is supposedly better than MM at fresh-ulduar geared 80s, and why MM > SV by over 500 DPS when you're decently Ulduar geared.

You also didn't mention the hit-cap and rating, (8% and 32.799=1% [263 rating]).

You didn't mention that hit-rating is transferred to pet, and scaled down on both ends.

Go for the Throat has 1/2 because 2/2 will almost permanently cap your pet's focus.

Your sample talent tree is also pretty... out of place sorry.

Resourcefulness > Improved Stings anyday because the 2 second reduced cooldown on Black Arrow (and mana cost reduction) easily triumphs over Serpent Sting.

You could've swapped +2 range for 1% agility, and aimed shot is personal preference.

You should've included a misdirect macro and also mentioned what would be the best pet to use for PvE, in any case, it was wolf.

As for gems, any hunter should be stacking AGI like no tomorrow. (Once they've reached hit-cap which is VERY easy in Ulduar).

Just some random stuff I picked up from this post, and yes, my main is a hunter. =)
    Double check you're trading with me in case of impostors

Strichnine's Avatar Knight-Champion
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like you spent some time on this... Macros may become useful, although I don't have a hunter..

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add some of the things you mentioned, but at some things you're wrong

You should briefly explain why SV is supposedly better than MM at fresh-ulduar geared 80s, and why MM > SV by over 500 DPS when you're decently Ulduar geared.
    I've tried them both, and I'm Ulduar geared. I got more dps with Survival, and also, I'm in 1 of the biggest raiding guilds of my server, I've yet to see a hunter going MM .

Go for the Throat has 1/2 because 2/2 will almost permanently cap your pet's focus.
    Yes.. That's what I already said in my post

Resourcefulness > Improved Stings anyday because the 2 second reduced cooldown on Black Arrow (and mana cost reduction) easily triumphs over Serpent Sting.
    I've seen a good theorycraft about it, and it's around the same DPS increasement.

You could've swapped +2 range for 1% agility, and aimed shot is personal preference.
    The range is indeed a preference, but Aimed is quite good for singletarget, I've yet to see a good Ulduar Hunter without it Ofcourse it's possible, but it's 1point for quite some extra dps.

As for gems, any hunter should be stacking AGI like no tomorrow. (Once they've reached hit-cap which is VERY easy in Ulduar).
    That's why I linked Agi gems ^^

As for the rest, you're right, let me edit that right now, thanks!

Thanks G/R
    2/65
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MM has been proven to be superior that SV in end-Ulduar Gear (in theory and also in reality, see: Ensidia and Stars hunters), as ArPenetration approaches to 600~ from 300, including an ArP trinket.

This is the main reason why Mjollinir's Runestone is BiS.

Also, you want to cap your MM at around 600 as the ArP cap is around 1213 or something (100%). At this point, Arcane Shot is dropped from the rotation and it's pretty much Steady Shot spam (and Aimed) as they are both physical attacks.

As a low comparison, I've been hitting 7k Steady Shots with only 200ArP + trinket proc, but of course, all this is based on player preference and gear levels.

+.... 2 for you.

[e] I meant that after hit-cap, you should be stacking +AGI even over blue and yellow sockets.
    Last edited by Syncness; 07-15-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. I must say, haven't thought about MM since those ArP changes. I'll go do some tests when my server is back up again ;> Thanks!

Appie's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gear guide:
    MaxDPS.com - Hunter DPS Gear Rankings - Survival Hunter

Talent spec + Glyphs:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Enchants:
    Don't go for AP enchants if you can get Agi enchant aswell, (this goes for Survival specced hunters)!

Will post some usefull macros when I can finally log in again.. slow blizzard

Thanks G/R
    2/65
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://elitistjerks.com/f74/

Should've been linked as well.

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Appie View Post
    Gear guide:
    MaxDPS.com - Hunter DPS Gear Rankings - Survival Hunter

Talent spec + Glyphs:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Enchants:
    Don't go for AP enchants if you can get Agi enchant aswell, (this goes for Survival specced hunters)!

Will post some usefull macros when I can finally log in again.. slow blizzard

Ye but if I just link those sites + EJ Hunter from sync it wouldn't really be a guide anymore ^^

Enchants:
    Where do you see me saying you should take AP o_o?
    Last edited by Aldun; 07-15-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks G/R
    2/65
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be used as a reference

Appie's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Aldun View Post
    Where do you see me saying you should take AP o_o?

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Appie View Post
    Please think before you write. The highest Agility enchant for 2H weapon is 35agi >>

Kezah's Avatar Knight-Lieutenant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The priority list you posted is wrong, this is the best priority for max dps with survival:

1. Kill Shot (When it's usable)
    2. Explosive Shot
    3. Black Arrow
    4. Serpent Sting (When it's not up already)
    5. Aimed Shot/Multi Shot
    6. Steady Shot

Also as has been said Resourcefulness > Improved Stings in your specc, otherwise it looks fine.

Use this macro for Explosive Shot:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Explosive Shot
    /cast Kill Command
    /cast Explosive Shot
    You want to use KC every time it's up and as Explosive Shot is your most used shot binding KC to it ensures it's up fast again whenever the cd is off. And remove KC from the cooldown macro.
    Also remember that you'll want to use your cooldowns while you have trinket proccs up if you have any procc trinkets.

And if bloodlust/heroism is up don't use rapid fire since then it will only give you an increase in auto shot dps. If you save it and use them separately you can use them to bring down the steady shots to cap for a longer time (1.5s cast). If you want to have steadys at the cap all the time you need like 550 haste or something around there.

And to note about aimed shot, that it does the exact same damage as multi, but the benefits with aimed is that it can be used on the run since it's instant and also it costs less mana which ensures less time in viper which leads to more dps.
    Last edited by Kezah; 07-15-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the prio:

You say
    1. Kill Shot (When it's usable)
    2. Explosive Shot
    3. Black Arrow
    4. Aimed Shot/Multi Shot
    5. Serpent Sting (When it's not up already)
    6. Steady Shot
    I say:
    -> Black Arrow (Refresh when it's off CD.)
    -> Explosive Shot
    -> Aimed/Multi
    -> Steady (if the rest is on cooldown, and I assume you got Kill Command macro'd already in this)
    -> FCFS (First come, First Serve, with Explosive shot on prio)
    -> Killshot <20%
    About the killshot, I didn't put that at top because it's useable under 20%, and thus not used most of the fight I don't see why you would fire Explosive before Black, as you lose the dmg increasement from BA then. The same for Serpent sting, you'll miss out the damage increasement of that from Noxious Sting.

Oh, and about Resourcefulness > Improved Stings , you could be right about that, will have to do some testing on that

Ty!

Darkassassin's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely disagree with your Shot prio, Aldun, by not including Serpent Sting in your rotation you're just being foolish, you don't want to be using Steady Shot more than maybe twice between your prio shots, So using Serpent Sting is almost a must.

My rotation is
    1) Kill Shot - When its usable.
    2) Black Arrow
    3) Explosive Shot - Kill Command Macro inside of Explosive Shot
    4) Aimed Shot
    5) Serpent Sting
    6) Steady Shot

I really kinda just go down the list, using Steady Shot ONLY when another of my shots is on Cooldown.

Best Pet for raiding is by far Wolf. The AP Buff is amazing.

As I haven't progressed into ulduar yet where I was out of WoW for a few months, I haven't had a chance to use the MM spec with ArP, however I think it will perform exceptionally well in the hands of the right geared hunter.

Also, Black Arrow has a chance to proc Explosive Shot whether it's intended or not, I don't know. But Black Arrow before Explosive Shot is good for the damage increase and the chance to get a LnL proc.

On Killshot, it's at the front of the rotation because as soon as Kill Shot lights up to be shot, you neeed to use it every time it's up as the DPS for the shot is an insane boost.

Also, here is the Survival Spec I run with on my hunter.

Survival(0/15/56)
    Last edited by Darkassassin; 07-15-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added some stuff
    Common sense is only the amount of prejudices aquired by age 18 - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast