0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make WoW uses all Cores Intel Quad Core Support

In machines with more than 2 logical processors (whether they are multiple physical processors, multiple DualCore or single QuadCore processors, or DualCore + HT processors), a new variable is saved to the config.wtf file.

The processAffinityMask variable is a decimal number composed of a binary mask representing which cores WoW will allow certain threads to be scheduled on. By default, this variable is set to "3" representing logical processors 1 and 2.

In case some of you are uncomfortable with the binary flags, here's a little picture that illustrates the mask and which logical processors will be used, for systems with up to 4 logical processors.

On my system, I seem to get better performance (higher FPS) when changing the mask to "15", even though I only have 1 physical processor with 2 cores and HyperThreading. I'm curious to know, which threads does this mask schedule?

With the default affinity mask set to cores 1 and 2, I actually get poorer performance than when I disable HyperThreading. But enabling HyperThreading (to get those extra two logical processors) and changing the mask to "15" seems to give me about 20 more FPS.

Are there any consequences to changing this setting, such as instability? Are there any recommendations for changing it from its default value to achieve better performance on systems with 4 or more logical processors?

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Using processAffinityMask CVAR in config.wtf

Make WoW uses all Cores Intel Quad Core Support
    Martin240's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had read the postings in the thread you would have noticed that wow can just use 2 cores. Copy paste sucks especially if you just copy the OP without looking at the blue posts that follow. No work involved in this post -> Fail...

noes's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    3/8
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worked for my Core-I7

thnx +1 rep

Ylts's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Martin240 View Post
    If you had read the postings in the thread you would have noticed that wow can just use 2 cores. Copy paste sucks especially if you just copy the OP without looking at the blue posts that follow. No work involved in this post -> Fail...

yes blues are gods, everything they say must be true.. right?

but in overall nice find

madsherlock's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what you say in the title is not possible with wow, I think that thread, from which you copy/pasted the original post almost completely (you left out the picture "you" mention), says that you can specify which 2 of your many cores you want wow to use.

Edit: I tried this, since i have this quad core CPU, and I see no 20 fps boost, in fact, I see no change.
    Last edited by madsherlock; 05-20-2009 at 10:44 AM.