Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Addon Guide for Newbies and Old Pros Alike

Introduction:

Before I go balls to the wall with this addon guide let me introduce myself. This is just going to be a bunch of random shit about me so if you want to skip ahead to the meat of this guide, by all means. . .
    My main is a Nelf Druid named Lumerus (duh!) and my realm is Ysera. I happened upon this site on accident during my search for LuaNinja. This is my first thread on this site and my main motivation for posting is to get rid of this "Leecher" status that I loathe so. I would like to be able to start benefitting from the fruits this site has to offer. I'm starting to play less because of real-life stuff but you see me online feel free to drop me a PM about a question, concern, if just want to tell me that I'm awesome, or if you just so hapen to like Mudkip. Anyways, lets get on with this guide.

Uhh. . . What's and Addon and how do I use it?:

This section is for those that have little-to-no experience with addons.
    I like WoWiki's description of Addons so I'll put that right here. (WoWiki is a great reference site btw and it's always my first visit if I have an in-game question).

"AddOns are generally self-contained User Interface (UI) modification components. However, some AddOns can be dependent on other AddOns to work, and some AddOns are actually collections of other AddOns. There is no size restriction on AddOns, some can grow to be quite massive.

In plain English, an AddOn is just some files you can put in your game folder that can (theoretically) improve your interaction with the World of Warcraft game (i.e. make it easier to play, or give you more information about what's going on in the game). "

To use addons you have to download it (addon sources will be explained later) and then extract the files to your addons folder to make them accessible in-game. Addon folders are located in different places depending on your OS.

For Vista users: C: > Users > Public > Games > World of Warcraft > Interface > AddOns

For XP users: C: > Program Files > World of Warcraft > Interface > AddOns

For Mac and Windows 7 users: sorry, you're on your own

Once your addons are downloaded and installed you are ready to boot up WoW. Once you log into the character selection screen you will notice a red button labelled "addons" in the bottom-left corner of your screen. This button is used to disable/enable any of the addons that you have installed to your addons folder. Log in and you will be ready to start configuring your UI. Most addons are simple and straightforward but guides do exist out there for the more complex ones. Youtube is a good place to check.

Useful Addons and What they do:

This section will be the meat and potatoes of my guide. I will categorize all of the addons that I use and give a VERY brief decription on each. If you want more info than I provide then there's this thing called Google. Also before I start, let me recommend downloading the client available on Curse.com. It manages all of your addons and notifies you when updates are avialable. It also has a database of addons for you to search through if you ever want to add new ones to your collection.

Regular UI Mods

ArkInventory This is a bag mod addon that consolidates all of your items into one bag frame. I use it because it has a great feature that lets you customize how items are grouped. For example, you can designate one section to quest items, one to profession materials and one to food and potions.

Bartender4 Bartender is an actionbar addon. It lets you resize and move all of your actionbars around for a fully unique look. It takes a little bit of time to set up but this is one of the most worthwhile addons to get.

kgPanels KgPanels is pureley aesthetic. It lets you make custom backgrounds on your UI for your chatbox, action bars, minimap, w/e

Minimap Button Frame Once your addon library starts building up, you'll notice that you have A TON of addon buttons surrounding your minimap. This addon consolodates all of those buttons onto a window that has a hide/show toggle. Currently has a compatibility issue with Carbonite's minimap button bar.

OmniCC Simple but awesome at the same time. This puts a number timer on top of your cooldowns in your action bar so that you don't have to go hover over your abilities to check the time remaining. very nice

Outfitter This lets you save different outfit combinations and lets you program each save to equip when you change stances, specs, w/e. More versatile than Blizzards equipment manager.

Pitbull Unit Frames 4.0 Lets you reconfigure and move your unit frames to be just how you like. This one takes a damn long time to set up but is well worth it in the end. I much prefer it to X-Perl.

TipTac This just changes your Tooltip boxes. Some customization, nothing much but I like the look and feel.

Titan Panel This thing is awesome. It lets you display a ton of information on a bar that sits at an edge of your screen. It can tell you anything from your money, to your armor degrade %, to your latency, to the zone your in. Love it, love it.

Map and Quests/Achievemnts

Atlas If you have ever been in a pre-WotLK instance and been pissed because there's no map to guide you through, pick up this addon. It's a compliation of instance maps, bosses, and loot tables that is compatible with AtlasLoot

Carbonite Simply and awesome addon that has so much to offer. You have to go to their official site to read up on all of the features. Just soo much good stuff in this. Don't let anybody tell you that Questhelper is better!

Cartographer A map modification addon that has much to offer but is worth getting because of the coordinate system alone.

Overachiever A great too for all of you achievement-grinders out there. 'Nuff said

Combat

Dotimer A HUD that lets you track your dots on a target and their durations as opposed to squinting at debuff timers. Actually, I'm using the dot tracker feature included with Quartz at the moment. Both are solid choices though.

MikScrollingBattleText This lets you organize, customize, and filter all of the text that shows up while youre in combat. It keeps the middle of your screen clear and lets you make more sense of all the information that flys at you during combat.

Quartz A cast-bar mod that displays the amount of time left and accounts for latency. It's effective, and also a good way to get rid of your boring Blizzard cast bar.

Power Auras Classic This is essential for classes that change fighting rotations with procs. You can set it so that a graphic displays when you proc a certain ability. Ex. You can have a big transparent moon glow of your screen when exclipse procs so that you know when to start spamming wrath. Very useful.

Raiding

Classloot This rates some items on a 1-5 star scale for every class and spec based on usefullness. This is ocassionally for when your raiding with a guild and are unsure on whether to roll on an item or let a guildie have it. Note, ratings are based on the opinions of the addon writers and are not neccessarily true.

Deadly Boss Mods Ok, if you raid regularly and don't already have this addon, take a moment to /kick yourself. This addon is awesome because it shows cooldowns on a bosses abilities and sends alarming, in-your-face warnings when a boss is about to use an ability. Nobody likes a raider who dies because they can't keep up with fight mechanics.

VuhDo This is my choice for raid frames. It was originally targetted at Resto Druids (how convenient for me) but has since expanded to be a great contender for any healing class and any raider for that matter. Look into getting this, grid is another good contender for raid frames.

Speedy Actions All that this addon does is make it so that your ability runs when you press the button or click the mouse rather than release it. Seems negigible but sometimes it's those precious m/s that can make the difference between a kill and another corpse run.

Recount This addon collects data from ever party/raid members actions in combat and compares it all. You can have it rank people in order of DPS/HPS done and you can also break the information down to find out how much of the samage was done with each ability. Great for theorycrafters/ people looking to maximise performance.

Omen Threat Meter Omen displays the amount of threat that each player has on a target and shows a red border around the screen when youre about to take aggro. Great tool for threat management.

Professions

Ackis recipe list This is a compilation of every learnable recipe, what level is required to learn it, how to get it, and coordinates for each crafting profession. I find it very useful.

GatherMate This shows prediscovered nodes on your map as rings. It's a great tool for herb/ore farming.

GatherMate_Data This loads a ton of already found locations into Gathermate.

LilSparky's Workshop This will use prices from Auctioneer and other economy addons and find out three prices: the cost to make, value on AH, and disenchant value. Sometimes you can end up skilling up for profit.

Routes This connects all of the nodes in gathermate with a mathematically efficient route so that you can check as many node spawns in as little time as possible.

Social

Chatter Chatter lets you modify your chat window in a few different ways.

FriendsWithBenefits This will automatically sync your friendslist across all players on a realm

Misspelled An in-game spellcheck

NotesUNeed Lets you keep contact info on players and you can create additional notes on just about . . . anything.

WIM (WoW Instant Messenger) Modifies private chat to be displayed in AIM-styled windows.

Miscellanious

Achievement Screenshotter This will automatically take a Prnt+Screen whnever you get an achievement and you can set it to do the same when you level. This can be used to capture in-game milestones that you reach.

Addon Control Panel Exactly what it sounds like. This lets you enable/disable, manage all of your addons in-game and you can set it to have different addons on for different toons.

Altoholic This saves calendar dates, gold available, bank, inventory, everything from all of your toons and arranges it on organized tables so that you don't have to constantly flip back-and0forth between toons.

Atlaslootenhanced This is a database of all of the loot in the game, what drops it, where the dropper is, and how often it drops. Great to have

Auctioneer Basically revamps your whole auction house UI, has features that automatically sets prices for your auctions.

Bejeweled Who doesn't love Bejeweled!? This is a great way to pass time while fishing, on long flights, or corpse runs.

EpicMusicPlayer An in-game Mp3 player. I fell in love when I found out about it.

Examiner Changes the interface for the /inspect function to include more and look nicer.

GearScore In the end-game you will notice that people stop caring about level and start caring about gs. That's the net rank of all the items you have equipped. This addon gives you those numbers. Very useful end0game

xcalc A calculator, pretty simple, I've only needed it 5-10 times but I was glad it was so easy to access when i did need it.

Contributed by Others:

Xloot XLoot - Addons - Curse : "A remake of the built-in lootframe. By Xuerian." (quick view of purple / bop /boe items aswell as easy raid/whisper/guild link system) IMAGE: http://questhelper-addons.com/upload...1914331719.jpg *Gotxi*

Simpleminimap simpleMinimap - Addons - Curse : "simpleMinimap is a module-centric addon for modifying and personalizing one of the center-pieces of any UI - the minimap" (you can change the size / shape and location of your minimap to design your own ui) IMAGE: http://media.curse.com/Curse.Project...leMinimap1.jpg *Gotxi*

Buffalo 3 Buffalo3 - Addons - Curse : "Buffalo3 allows you to move your buff icons and change their layout" IMAGE: http://media.curse.com/Curse.Project...609_212434.jpg *Gotxi*

Closing:

Well, that took a good while. I hope that you all have found this guide useful. If there are any comments, conerns, spelling errors, anything just feel free to comment and I'll try to be good about checking this thing. Also, if you feel that you have a godsend of an addon that I have failed to include please leave it in a comment in this format and i'll consider it to be included:

NameOfAddon Decription of addon's function *Submitted by: Your Name*

Happy Crafting:wave:

Edit: I would also like to add that I use ALL of these addons but it is very taxing on some computers. I Think that all of these addons use up about 110Mb of Memory, I know a couple of people that start seeing performance issues after 30Mb. Also I do intend to take some screenies of my UI and post them here in the near future in case any of you are wondering what an awesome UI might look like.
    Last edited by LumerusTehDoorid; 01-19-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Making additions

Addon Guide for Newbies and Old Pros Alike
    ZnyX's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wrote this yourself? If so, good job. But there is no need for stuff like Carbonite anymore.

However i'm glad to see such a detailed post here. I'll send some rep your way.

Gotxi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some addons that i remember right now:

Minimap Button Frame Minimap Button Frame - Addons - Curse : "This little addon will gather up all of your addon minimap buttons and put them into a movable frame." (very useful to have a clean UI) IMAGE: http://media.curse.com/Curse.Project..._3_Image_1.jpg

Xloot XLoot - Addons - Curse : "A remake of the built-in lootframe. By Xuerian." (quick view of purple / bop /boe items aswell as easy raid/whisper/guild link system) IMAGE: http://questhelper-addons.com/upload...1914331719.jpg

Simpleminimap simpleMinimap - Addons - Curse : "simpleMinimap is a module-centric addon for modifying and personalizing one of the center-pieces of any UI - the minimap" (you can change the size / shape and location of your minimap to design your own ui) IMAGE: http://media.curse.com/Curse.Project...leMinimap1.jpg

Buffalo 3 Buffalo3 - Addons - Curse : "Buffalo3 allows you to move your buff icons and change their layout" IMAGE: http://media.curse.com/Curse.Project...609_212434.jpg

Deadly Boss Mods Deadly Boss Mods - Addons - Curse : "Boss mods for all raid bosses" (The first "must have" addon you should install if you are a raider) IMAGE: http://www.wow-pro.com/files/deadly_boss_mod.jpg

LumerusTehDoorid's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Rhainland View Post
    You wrote this yourself? If so, good job. But there is no need for stuff like Carbonite anymore.

However i'm glad to see such a detailed post here. I'll send some rep your way.
    Thanks for the gratitude but you're crazy for not liking Carbonite, it's so much more than a questhelper.

Gotxi, DBM and MBF are repeats but I'll add the other 3 addons right now and I like that you put links in.

LumerusTehDoorid's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shameless Bump

Starcraft1535's Avatar Active Member

Thanks G/R