LUI. I love it. That screenshot was taken yesterday.
In my UI I kept a few key ideas in mind:
1. Situational awareness is key. I need minimalism yet not too much, I want to be informed as well. (everything clocks in at just under 5mb)
2. In terms of compatibility, THE GAME not going haywire, performance, and tournament play: The default UI is the best UI.
2. Click casting is always slower, so let's ditch the actionbars. Everything will be key-bound. Actionbars will be hidden using kong, so that I may mouseover them for a quick configuration or if i cannot remember the binding. I'd also like to add that this method forces me to memorize my key bindings, making me a better player.
3. My target's buffs/debuffs are not big enough, i want them to really stick out. let's make those bigger.
4. I play a lot of fighting games, so let's throw me in the top left, and my target in the top right. Direction of buff/debuff growth will converge toward the center then down, for quick viewing.
5. The actionbars are gone, but I still want to be aware of what I have on cooldown, i'll put big cooldown buttons underneath me. This will allow me to quickly realize my Cloak of Shadows is yet again, still on cooldown... sadness. I use CooldownButtons for this, which is deprecated as fack and requires modification, but is my favorite addon.
6. The minimap, I usually only need a glance when i do need it. Using kong to hide the minimap produces interesting results, it turns everything transparent except for those little labels that show up when something is nearby that's being tracked. For example: those little "!" or "?" for quest givers or the yellow dots for mining nodes. If i want to view the surrounding terrain however, i can mouseover the minimap and the texture will fade in.
7. Tooltips are still in the way, and now seem odd out there all alone. TooltipAnchor allows me to snap 'er right to the corner-oo and outta my fackin way! ;P
8. That's a lot of screen! Now let's clutter it up with some crap, shall we? I like IceHUD, I like how my combo points show up right beneath me. I like how my health and mana are right there. It's memory intensive and provides redundant information, which goes against my minimalist philosophy. But ehh fack it, I like eye candy too.
9. I've got healers too, and i found vuhdo slides really nice just underneath my toon and IceHUD. (note that this will require a higher frame strata or need to be moved around if in a larger raid: it conflicts with CooldownButtons and loot rolls. It's imperfect! argh!)
10. This one is under the hood and totally personal preference, but there's an addon called "Paging". Which allows me to toggle through actionbars with modifier keys. For example: while shift is held down i will be using actionbar 5, while alt is held down i will be using actionbar 4, when no modifier is being held down i will be using actionbar 1. This addon is deprecated, but can still work with modifications.
11. I reluctantly included TinyDPS, because that's all you should really need most of the time. If I want something more comprehensive I can enable recount temporarily, but not permanently because it can slow stuffs down. Remember... minimalist! That being said, I'd like to suggest to the entire WoW community they quit fapping to numbers.
12. This will always be my work in progress, it can always get better, and slimmer. Right now I'm considering a DR counter.
First image is blank, nothing goin on:
Second image showcases cooldowns, target, and tooltip:
Third image gives an idea of how buffs/debuffs will be displayed for player and target: (URL limit reached, gunna replace http with hteeteep)
Fourth image shows off kong's ability to restore screen element upon mouseover:
If ya'll show interest, I'll certainly upload a zip of my Addons with a WTF template you can use.
peace out, brussel sprout.
Last edited by LieutenantDan365; 02-22-2014 at 09:47 AM.
(click to enlarge)
You can download it here - https://github.com/Haleth/FreeUI
Last edited by Nastya; 02-22-2014 at 09:53 AM.