338/1133
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I tried elysium (legacy servers)....

And bloody hell I'd forgotten how goddamn slow everything is.

I started in BC so I know what a grind it was. But you forget.Hours and hours of walking, not knowing where things are, horribly simplistic animations-combat takes forever, tons of missing etc etc. Combat is like - I hit kobold, kobold stands there and takes it, kobold thinks while I'm paralyzed, kobold hits me, I attack kobold but miss and so on. Retail is like playing on crack by comparison.
    No idea how I managed to grind up in the past (it took months).

One thing it is, is way more immersive. I agree with the legacy crowd on that. I never liked flying much. It is true-you just don't experience the world the same way any more.

But, I simply don't have time to play it. And I know what lies beyond the horizon and what happens at the end of a quest chain now so the inducement to play isn't the same.

It seems to me like the gradual attainment ethos of vanilla has a lot of merit. I think there's a lot to learn from a developer's perspective-I think a niche hardcore MMO could do really well. But I don't really want to play a game that is so outdated and fundamentally flawed in a lot of ways again.

I'd appreciate constructive criticism-I'm not sure why legacy is doing so well at the moment. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Some extremely hot girls I bribed to advertise my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCID...UqELfuSIhMXEnA

So I tried elysium (legacy servers)....
    ev0's Avatar ★ Elder ★ murlocs.com

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    313/377
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Reasons:
    - It's free
    - End-game is really challenging and "rewarding" (depends on your value of personal achievements)
    - Nostalgia, it's kind of like remembering your first time having sex; probably sucked really badly and you didn't know what you're doing, but you would want to relive it
    - Lastly, money. It's a circular investment 60-70% (at most) are actual players. The rest are vendors trying to make a quick buck on the hype.

The hype will die down eventually, but it's really fun to have to plan everything out each day with a group of friends; just like "the *good* old days". The weak compare it to live, the strong minded and willful power through and recant their lust for a time consuming challenge.
    Need a guild in the US? Visit murlocs.com

Harambeqt's Avatar Elite User CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    9/29
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We talked about this in the shoutbox a time ago and the conclusion was pretty much the same as yours.

Only a small portion of the wow players around the world pay 13EUR a month to play on a legacy server from Blizzard. And therefore it will never happen.
    And also the game is slow the 1-60 grind is endless and PvP is bad compared to the newer expansions.

Why the big player base? It is well put together and it is free.
    Support the #1 WoW Emulator:
    http://arcemu.org/
    https://github.com/arcemu/arcemu
    - - -

Hyldran0's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wish it was alittle bit faster leveling :P
    Shit's Gone Real

advanta's Avatar ★ Elder ★ CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    338/1133
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SniffingPickles View Post
    The weak compare it to live, the strong minded and willful power through and recant their lust for a time consuming challenge.
    Thanks for your responses.

I picked on this quote specifically because I can certainly appreciate the idea of a challenge. But wow vanilla is not really challenging except in the sense that it requires an extraordinary amount of patience and grinding. It isn't really challenging to kill 30,000 mobs or spend an hour walking across a continent-its just tedious, a challenge to stay awake. Even with raiding the mechanics are trivial by modern standards-the main challenger was always getting 40 people to be in the right place at the right time with the right gear. People don't do naxx because the entry requirements were so high.

I'd have thought modern mythic raiding was the hardest ever challenge in wow with regard to intellectual challenge.
    Some extremely hot girls I bribed to advertise my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCID...UqELfuSIhMXEnA

ev0's Avatar ★ Elder ★ murlocs.com

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    313/377
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Thanks for your responses.

I picked on this quote specifically because I can certainly appreciate the idea of a challenge. But wow vanilla is not really challenging except in the sense that it requires an extraordinary amount of patience and grinding. It isn't really challenging to kill 30,000 mobs or spend an hour walking across a continent-its just tedious, a challenge to stay awake. Even with raiding the mechanics are trivial by modern standards-the main challenger was always getting 40 people to be in the right place at the right time with the right gear. People don't do naxx because the entry requirements were so high.

I'd have thought modern mythic raiding was the hardest ever challenge in wow with regard to intellectual challenge.

See, that's your style of challenge. Mind you, I agree that today's market of games present a technology that wasn't readily available on the platform at hand. The modern challenge in the old world is definitely a "Those who put more time into this, are considered greater and rewarded as such". That in my mind is a challenge (consider I work 50hrs/week+, balance a girlfriend, and still raid on live servers).

It's more about seeing the experience again and talking myself out of needing to do it over and over.
    Need a guild in the US? Visit murlocs.com

Hyperorx's Avatar Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Hyldran0 View Post
    i wish it was alittle bit faster leveling :P
    HERE (Deepholme | 1.12.X | Blizzlike | PvE/PvP/RP | 1-60 | Classic Server)

Can always try out new and up-incoming community's Well scripted, and can choose a rate of leveling. Which allows you to enjoy the endgame content a little sooner then later.

hackerlol's Avatar Admin(kind of) ShoutBox Dweller
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1180/297
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you find the murlocs to be over-tuned?

skeletonboy360's Avatar Active Member
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    4/14
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't sacrifice the time to play on a vanilla server for the possibility it'll get shutdown. Can't imagine how all those nost players felt.

Then again, I don't like vanilla wow. I'm more of a TBC kinda guy. Way more challenge and things to do.

brotalnia's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    26/300
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Best way i can describe it is that it feels like a journey. I don't know where we are going exactly, but we are going somewhere. The fact that most of my friends have started playing there also contributes immensely to the experience. I know wotlk is the superior expansion, but i've played it for so long it bores me now. Vanilla on the other hand feels new yet familiar, as none from our group have played it before, but the basics and the old Azeroth we love are all here. I've never done any of the endgame content at the appropriate level, so that's something new and exciting to look forward to. It's like a mystical prize waiting for me at the end. The huge population makes everything feel alive and immersive. I'm not trying to rush through the content anymore, i enjoy how slow everything is and read every single quest. It feels like I'm in the World of Warcraft, even more so than when i first played WoW. I'm only level 20 and I'm already addicted just like when i was a kid. Every time the server is down i keep thinking to myself - "Is it up now? Should i go and check? Are my friends already there?".