Thanks G/R
    2/6
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bullshit. When you set the console to 9-10 you're asking for HQ pictures, which will correspond with your monitor's refresh rate.
    Capturing + brightening + sharpening will just show the behind laying refresh 'zones'.
    Fail bloke.

Looking inside your screenshots
    Sendatsu's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TjinTao View Post
    Bullshit. When you set the console to 9-10 you're asking for HQ pictures, which will correspond with your monitor's refresh rate.
    Capturing + brightening + sharpening will just show the behind laying refresh 'zones'. Fail bloke.
    Your post is not only offensive but also completely idiotic and ignorant. Go back and actually READ the thread posts and findings, and then, if you have something useful to add to this conversation, go ahead and comment - you wretched troll, hiding behind a username you just created only to disrespect and undervalue the work of others. Shameful yet shameless; the hypocritical know-it-all enemies of anything new or unexpected - true offspring of the Inquisition. I despise you, and your kindred.

3. Thanks Horsebreed (1 members gave Thanks to Sendatsu for this useful post)
    DNASt1st's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, to avoid this all together does just print screening from your computer rather then the in game one work or does that still show the watermarks? i'm asuming it adds the watermark when you hit print? or is it always there? thanks ahead of time.

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by DNASt1st View Post
    hi, to avoid this all together does just print screening from your computer rather then the in game one work or does that still show the watermarks? i'm asuming it adds the watermark when you hit print? or is it always there? thanks ahead of time.
    Hello there

In order to avoid any further watermarking, type: /console SET screenshotQuality "10" which will set the quality of your screenshots to the maximum and create screenshots that do not include the watermark.

Alternatively, you can just paste the screenshot you just print-screened in an image editor and save it manually from there.

The watermark is only added in screenshots generated by the in-game capturing mechanism, and only for JPG qualities 1-9.

I hope this helps.

PS: I can confirm the watermark still exists (Patch 5.1); the latest ToS/EULA is still not updated to clearly depict its existence.

Optical1985's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this thread here since the subject was so interesting, any more news about it?

Wargaming, the developer for the tank simulation game known as World of Tanks had also implemented a similar method, displayed here : For the Record: Hidden tags in WoT screenies , to prevent leaks from the private test servers.

Is this thing still active in 5.3? I don't have my account active to check any more.

Alfalfa's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    70/79
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Optical1985 View Post
    Reviving this thread here since the subject was so interesting, any more news about it?

Wargaming, the developer for the tank simulation game known as World of Tanks had also implemented a similar method, displayed here : For the Record: Hidden tags in WoT screenies , to prevent leaks from the private test servers.

Is this thing still active in 5.3? I don't have my account active to check any more.
    I can confirm it still exists as of 5.3.

I gaussian blurred them both so you couldn't identify my account (unless you go to great lengths to un blur?)

https://i.imgur.com/b0m4xLr.jpg - with watermark and screenshotQuality "1"
    https://i.imgur.com/SMvqYMU.jpg - without watermark and screenshotQuality "10"

DARKFOXX's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should send these barcode screenshots into blizzard to see if it gets screenshot of the day, you can put the caption, "Blizzard, as bad as the U.S. governement."

WizardTrokair's Avatar <Walks Through Walls>
    Thanks G/R
    192/148
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much to OP for his work on this subject. +7 rep.
    I'll def be setting my SS's to quality 10 tonight.

scylla's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So they have watermarks. Not a big deal really.... unless of course you play at a private server and even if you do, what can they do to you?

jimmys96's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    224/210
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by scylla View Post
    So they have watermarks. Not a big deal really.... unless of course you play at a private server and even if you do, what can they do to you?
    They haven't seem to done anything with this yet...

Cecu's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    121/20
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by scylla View Post
    Yea, not a big deal if they could uniquely identify you from all other 7mil WoW players, when you capture your exploits, really not a big deal!

scylla's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it really isn't a big deal, for me anyways. I can just use something else to take Screenies like Razer Cortex or Raptr or the good ol printscreen button.

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The End?

Hello everyone

I tried to reproduce the watermarking issue under Patch 6.1, and it appears that it has now been removed from the game's screenshot capture mechanism.

So, WoW Screenshot Watermarking: 2.1.0 (15/05/2007) – 6.1.0 (24/02/2015)

RIP?... We shall see.

snarffff's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sendatsu View Post
    Hello everyone

I tried to reproduce the watermarking issue under Patch 6.1, and it appears that it has now been removed from the game's screenshot capture mechanism.

So, WoW Screenshot Watermarking: 2.1.0 (15/05/2007) – 6.1.0 (24/02/2015)

RIP?... We shall see.
    After thoroughly investigating the 'data' in the images as posted, the pattern which you were seeing is most definitely consistent of artifacts present during jpg compression of rendered images (tile based world) and is primarily responsible for exacerbating the differentials between adjacent tiles where they meet. As noted, changing to a non-lossy (or compression pattern that is less lossy), reduces these artifacts to invisible using the above methods for highlighting the superfluous areas where the image data is less consistent.

Having done extensive work in stenography, and various other (prefer not to disclose) ciphering techniques, it is fairly easy to spot that this entire thread was founded upon a weak understanding of image compression, and stenography. I will admit that I was amused throughout this fictional read, however some conspiracies remain simply a conspiracy with or without believers, but no data (or fraudulent/misunderstood data) to back up the argument.

Watching the 'source' code projects was even more incredible as the authors did not release their code, however they also only work on machines where a Warcraft account was present at one point. I am not sure if this was a deliberate attempt to perpetuate this fallacy, or they honestly decided to make up some patterns hoping that no one will actually test them.

World of Warcraft players, you can be rest assured that Blizzard did not implement stenography on your Warcraft Screenshots. What is even more exciting is that this can be disproved even from the opposing side of 'decoding' screenshots as typically players would not "fly up really high" or otherwise take a screenshot of a whited (or other color) out screen. The content of screenshots is usually more full, and contains more complex patterns especially when it includes building models / etc.

"decoding" these would require a method similar to removing two bits off every other pixel, which this pattern doesn't even apply, thus making any retrieval of any viable information (again going on the premise it is true when it really isn't, but just for arguments sake), impossible or near impossible, and highly dependent on the location of the image and/or contents of the image.

transmission -- it is much more difficult to maintain a battery of machines to receive and process images for stenographic contents, than it would be to drop a straight cipher using a persistent connection to blizzard via battle.net or the client itself.

retrieval -- assuming the data is posted on social media/etc, this would compound the issue of transmission as it would now require processing of all images encountered for the possibility it may be a screenshot from within wow, at specific resolutions, and specific compression quality, without clipping, etc etc.

What is even more illustrious, is that I believe this is a thread that has some folks in other "underground" scenes like HonorBuddy up in a fluff with Tin Foil hats on (eg, chinajade), when they are usually the first to jump down on other people for 'speculation'. Cute thread none-the-less. Troll rating: A+ .

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure why trolls still bother to post in this thread... I could explain for the n-th time that the watermark was real, that we produced source codes in different languages that successfully decoded it (we released the code and anyone can find the links in my 1st post), that we could find the patterns in screenshots dating back to 2007... I could explain all these things, once again. But I won't.

Instead, I'll just say that the actual term is "steganography". But you already knew that, troll, didn't you?

17. Thanks ev0, MrNoble (2 members gave Thanks to Sendatsu for this useful post)
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1617181920