0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of things to try

There are few white bricks around stormforge where you can get to stare directly at bright white brick (near the entrance to the palace and a couple of other places).

Secondly, the edge detection in gimp does a VERY impressive job of showing these off (use prewitt compass at full) and then you can use the curves (under colours menu) to enhance (pull the curve to the top near the beginning):

Looking inside your screenshots-shot-jpg

I've cut a small section of mine up so im not identifiable (i hope)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking inside your screenshots-shot-jpg  
    Last edited by blacky74; 09-12-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Looking inside your screenshots
    Thundathigh's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
    Your bit pattern is off. The first 16 bits should be "10001100 00001100" which results in the ASCII characters "10".
    I understand how to convert the image to the bit values, but am having trouble going from the bits to the ASCII characters. Using sites such as ASCII Code - The extended ASCII table I get that the previous binary should translate to ŒFF ( Latin capital ligature OE + Form Feed), which is clearly incorrect. (The ASCII on that site shows 0011000100110000 as 10). What am I doing wrong here?
    Last edited by Thundathigh; 09-12-2012 at 04:23 AM.

_Mike's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thundathigh View Post
    I understand how to convert the image to the bit values, but am having trouble going from the bits to the ASCII characters. Using sites such as ASCII Code - The extended ASCII table I get that the previous binary should translate to ŒFF ( Latin capital ligature OE + Form Feed), which is clearly incorrect. (The ASCII on that site shows 0011000100110000 as 10). What am I doing wrong here?
    Reverse each byte before converting to ASCII. 10001100 00001100 -> 00110001 00110000

Thundathigh's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha I realized that right after I posted, why is it Little-Endian though?
    Thanks for the help though!
    Last edited by Thundathigh; 09-12-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Anonie's Avatar Knight-Lieutenant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by hp94 View Post
    I'm very interested in this thread because I've been looking in to cryptology for a while. If I can get some images of different Blizzard games from some Ownedcore users, I have a cryptanalysis and steganalysis workstation set up in at my college that will get to the bottom of this.
    Read this guy's message and his following posts, and possibly pm him for some direct info. From his post, it seems that nothing is encrypted, you just gotta decode the message to begin with.

http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...ml#post2489452 (Looking inside your screenshots)

hootersam's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great find. +rep

streppel's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    German IT-News Site Golem.de just posted about this.
    Great find, +rep

@Blizzard: you're bad and you should feel bad!
    NON-OBJECTIVE HYPOTHETICAL PSEUDO PROCESSOR SPEED.
    https://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/9/10044/10285683.jpg

sn4rk's Avatar Active Member
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    19/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by hp94 View Post
    I'm very interested in this thread because I've been looking in to cryptology for a while. If I can get some images of different Blizzard games from some Ownedcore users, I have a cryptanalysis and steganalysis workstation set up in at my college that will get to the bottom of this.
    pmed you with a link to screens

Ehnoah's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    16/96
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember right -> It is not allowed in Germany to get Process Information, so surely they have to remove it in Germany

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Ehnoah View Post
    If I remember right -> It is not allowed in Germany to get Process Information, so surely they have to remove it in Germany
    I don't think anyone's going to go to great lengths to try and do anything about it when it is so unclear whether it is even infringing any laws. Blizzard haven't even given a PR response.

Sendatsu's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by saillaw View Post
    What is the "personally identifiable data" that they have made secure? I am not familiar with the DPA, but I wonder if any of the data that is view-able, would classify as "personally identifiable data", it doesn't identify anything about you personally. Also, would not the encryption in the images live up to the required level of protection under the law, even if it was in fact "personally identifiable data"?

I'd be curious to see what "openly gain your permission" requires? Do not the terms of the EULA and TOS achieve that?

Finally, assuming the above two issues did not fall in Blizzard's favor, wouldn't it still not be a violation of the DPA since it was not Blizzard who has published this information, but rather the end users?
    Hello saillaw

Just a few more comments on this. The information inside the watermark is not encrypted, it is just encoded. This means that as soon as someone figures out the algorithm to get them out from a normal image (we got half way there in 48 hours using a clean image) then they can extract the account id and realm id from any available screenshot on the Web (after 2008 apparently).

Now, combine this with an automated Web spider bot which scans for images and categorizes them based on account and realm id, and you can quickly make a database showing which screenshots belong to which character and have the users identify who is who. Note that a website (cogshanks.org) which used the capabilities of the ignore list* to help users realize which accounts holds which characters, has now been disabled "because [of] heathens", as it states - whatever that means. I am pretty sure Blizzard wants to be the only one who knows who is who in the game.

In addition to this, as soon as someone is able to successfully extract the full watermark from a normal image, they can then also re-encode it into a clean image This way they can use the Assembly code mentioned in this thread to skip the their watermark, screenshot themselves performing weird hacks or cheats and then embed the watermark of another character - which is like framing them for something they didn't do. Blizzard will then be checking the logs of the framed character to identify the hacks but they won't be finding anything (which will make them even more worried :P).

If Blizzard had published this information back in 2008, users who wanted to maintain their privacy (not everyone does, unfortunately) would know better than publicly share their WoW generated screenshots on the Web. Now that we discovered these unencrypted data after approximately four years, we only prove that anyone could have already been using this "hack" already and just keeping quiet about it. It wouldn't be hard for Blizzard to encrypt the data using a strong private key so that only them could be able to read them (and it would still also be nice if we knew :P). This whole case was an accident waiting to happen and I wonder for how long Blizzard expected us to continue without noticing.

* Apparently, if you ignore a character, you also ignore all the characters in his account which, if it's used correctly/widely enough, can eventually produce the full character list.
    Last edited by Sendatsu; 09-12-2012 at 09:03 AM.

_Mike's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sendatsu View Post
    In addition to this, as soon as someone is able to successfully extract the full watermark from a normal image, they can then also re-encode it into a clean image This way they can use the Assembly code mentioned in this thread to skip the their watermark, screenshot themselves performing weird hacks or cheats and then embed the watermark of another character - which is like framing them for something they didn't do. Blizzard will then be checking the logs of the framed character to identify the hacks but they won't be finding anything (which will make them even more worried :P).
    Just a side note; Doing this is easy and doesn't need any image editing. Just change the account name in memory and let the client do the watermarking.

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
    Just a side note; Doing this is easy and doesn't need any image editing. Just change the account name in memory and let the client do the watermarking.
    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/.../Slow-Clap.gif

(Can't re-rep you yet :P)
    Last edited by Sendatsu; 09-12-2012 at 10:33 AM.

DBRecycler's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This system existed already on the 2.4.3 client and its also on private servers enabled. I found out that the current time is being saved in form of "Hours/Minutes", this confirms again that this is an active working system not just some "JPG artefacts". Just make each minute a SS and you will see that one part small is changing each time, its not changing in less than 1 minute though.

Surprisingly the realm name seems to be not saved (Not sure about realmlist yet), I made identical screenshots with different realm names but the saved information was exactly the same (Only the minute part changed after 20 secs as it should be).

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello DBRecycler

Originally Posted by DBRecycler View Post
    This system existed already on the 2.4.3 client and its also on private servers enabled.
    Thank you for your contribution. Can you please post some reference for this? It sounds very interesting.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 ... LastLast