2/52
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add Permanent Fire+Smoke to any Hunter pet - Confirmed now

My friend's allowed me to post this now - there's already been threads on this subject, but not the specifics on WHAT causes the effect. Wasted a lot of time trying to replicate it, so I wanted to make a post with specifics that other old threads lacked.

The fire mage Artifact has a hidden effect that causes corpses a mage killed to turn black, give off smoke, and sets them on fire. What wasn't known, and why time was wasted trying to replicate it, is that this effect ONLY OCCURS WHEN IGNITE IS THE KILLING BLOW. Regardless of what spell applies Ignite, it has to be Ignite as a dot ticking down and being the killing hit to get the effect to show up.

My friend and I have set three pets on fire this way in the span of 20 minutes once we figured it out. It's still a rare effect - one pet took a minute, the other took 10. We also did this in an arena (Ring of Trials in Nagrand, a physical location, not one you queue for!), since we'd only seen it randomly happen to other pets in open-world PVP, not duels.

tl;dr

1) Go to an open-world arena with a fire mage with the artifact
    2) Get naked to lower pet's HP if 110
    3) Have your pet's killing blow be by the spell Ignite
    4) Get lucky and see the body turn black and smoldering
    5) Rez the pet and voila. This effect stays even if the pet dies.
    6) Don't go into a queue Arena or Timewalking and have the pet out/summon the pet, or you'll lose it! These areas strip all mobs of buffs.

https://s23.postimg.org/stnenkth7/flaming_gazelle.png

*This apparently also works on Lock pets, I just haven't personally confirmed it.

**Unknown if the mage needs the trait Phoenix Reborn in order to get this going. Might be a hidden effect of the trait, rather than the artifact. Just ask if the mage you're testing with has it, just to be safe. Apparently everyone I did it with had this trait, which affects Ignite in some way.
    Last edited by forgotoldaccountlol; 02-04-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Add Permanent Fire+Smoke to any Hunter pet - Confirmed now
  2. Thanks TW_Gankdalf (1 members gave Thanks to forgotoldaccountlol for this useful post)
    QIQI's Avatar Member Lady Spendthrift CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    24 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i might be wrong but why do you need the artifact to have ignite happen?

Mastery: Ignite - Spell - World of Warcraft

As per the tooltip:
    Your target burns for an additional 6% over 9 sec of the total direct damage caused by your Fireball, Fire Blast, Scorch, Pyroblast, Meteor, Cinderstorm and Flamestrike. If this effect is reapplied, any remaining damage will be added to the new Ignite.

does this buff only apply via the artifact weapon's ability?
    Last edited by QIQI; 02-04-2017 at 08:31 AM.

TW_Gankdalf's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    38/26
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by QIQI View Post
    i might be wrong but why do you need the artifact to have ignite happen?

Mastery: Ignite - Spell - World of Warcraft

As per the tooltip:
    Your target burns for an additional 6% over 9 sec of the total direct damage caused by your Fireball, Fire Blast, Scorch, Pyroblast, Meteor, Cinderstorm and Flamestrike. If this effect is reapplied, any remaining damage will be added to the new Ignite.

does this buff only apply via the artifact weapon's ability?
    You need the artifact to proc the special effect (burning corpse).

Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    24 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that's Phoenix Reborn, right?
    Well then you gotta indicate clearly that a golden trait is required :P

forgotoldaccountlol's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    2/52
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that's Phoenix Reborn, right?
    Well then you gotta indicate clearly that a golden trait is required :P
    Mastery:Ignite as learned at level 78, Phoenix Reborn just improves it. It could be that trait is what causes the proc, but I'm not sure one way or the other if it's a trait or a passive ability of the artifact. I never asked the Mages I was testing with what their traits were - one was an accomplished raider, one was a completely fresh 110.

EDIT2: Disregard. She does have the trait, upon examining a screenshot of her weapon. That's the only golden/elite trait she has, though.
    Last edited by forgotoldaccountlol; 02-04-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    24 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by forgotoldaccountlol View Post
    Mastery:Ignite as learned at level 78, Phoenix Reborn just improves it. It could be that trait is what causes the proc, but I'm not sure one way or the other if it's a trait or a passive ability of the artifact. I never asked the Mages I was testing with what their traits were - one was an accomplished raider, one was a completely fresh 110.
    Hmm i've been trying for over an hour now ... I created a fresh 100 trial hunter on horde, and i used an alliance mage with all 3 golden traits to kill the pet (yeah i brought the pet's health really low and let ignite tick) and it didn't work out.
    i'm not sure if there's something i'm not doing correctly though.

what i know for sure is that it doesn't have to be within an arena or battleground, because on my other hunter i have a pet with the fire and smoke.
    however i was killing a world boss a month ago, and a fire mage kept smashing my pet (i was in a pvp server) and all i did was spam rez because that's how quick the pet died.
    at the end of the world boss my pet remained "on fire" and yeah.
    Last edited by QIQI; 02-04-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks G/R
    2/52
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm i've been trying for over an hour now ... I created a fresh 100 trial hunter on horde, and i used an alliance mage with all 3 golden traits to kill the pet (yeah i brought the pet's health really low and let ignite tick) and it didn't work out.
    i'm not sure if there's something i'm not doing correctly though.

what i know for sure is that it doesn't have to be within an arena or battleground, because on my other hunter i have a pet with the fire and smoke.
    however i was killing a world boss a month ago, and a fire mage kept smashing my pet (i was in a pvp server) and all i did was spam rez because that's how quick the pet died.
    at the end of the world boss my pet remained "on fire" and yeah.
    It shouldn't be taking an hour, but it's unlikely that they fixed this within 24 hours considering how utterly harmless it is. I've only ever seen it pop off Ignite. It is a completely random proc - one pet we got literally on the first try the other took about 20 minutes. We've done over a dozen pets since yesterday with only the information I gave which is all I know. Are you at least doing it in an open World Arena - again a physical location and not when you queue for - and not in a duel? I know what you're speaking of and I just do it in an arena to be sure because I've never seen it happen in a duel and I postulate that blizzard may have applied something special to duels after Hunters were abusing it to tame pets who already had existing appearance buffs back in MoP.

Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    24 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't be taking an hour, but it's unlikely that they fixed this within 24 hours considering how utterly harmless it is. I've only ever seen it pop off Ignite. It is a completely random proc - one pet we got literally on the first try the other took about 20 minutes. We've done over a dozen pets since yesterday with only the information I gave which is all I know. Are you at least doing it in an open World Arena - again a physical location and not when you queue for - and not in a duel? I know what you're speaking of and I just do it in an arena to be sure because I've never seen it happen in a duel and I postulate that blizzard may have applied something special to duels after Hunters were abusing it to tame pets who already had existing appearance buffs back in MoP.
    Yeah it's not a queued instance. As I've mentioned, I used a HORDE hunter vs an ALLIANCE mage ... so I sent them both to some place in draenor and did what you wrote on the original post. but yeah as i said, i'm 100% sure this need not happen in an arena or BG because I have another hunter that has the smoky flaming pet and a mage was constantly killing my pet and i spammed rez during a world boss kill.

Thanks G/R
    2/52
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's not a queued instance. As I've mentioned, I used a HORDE hunter vs an ALLIANCE mage ... so I sent them both to some place in draenor and did what you wrote on the original post. but yeah as i said, i'm 100% sure this need not happen in an arena or BG because I have another hunter that has the smoky flaming pet and a mage was constantly killing my pet and i spammed rez during a world boss kill.
    Oh, I meant the ring of trials in Nagrand, Outlands -- I forgot WoD existed. It sounds like you might have had bad luck, not sure what to tell you beyond that.

Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    24 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I meant the ring of trials in Nagrand, Outlands -- I forgot WoD existed. It sounds like you might have had bad luck, not sure what to tell you beyond that.
    I will give those arenas a try later
    Thanks a bunch man. I don't know lol perhaps it's just awful bad luck -_-