151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] How to make a Good Gm Aplication

Hello all, I believe there are already guides on this, but I want to show you what i do, because 8 out of the 9 times i made a gm aplication i've been accepted.

Firstly, if your under 13 you shouldn't really apply, but there are the odd acceptions out there who make good developers and are very young. I once had a 12 year old who could actually compile his own mangos server, i was suprised If the server you want to apply for wants you to use the vent and you are young, you could try and get away with "I don't have a mic" but it may not always work. Always lie about your age if your under 15 i would say, unless you know the people don't mind. It gives you a lot higher chance.

Second, theres a lot of "persuasive speech tactics" you can use. I would use them personly, if you did not study them in school/you havn't studied them yet, then i'll list a couple. Get the person who's reading involved, make them like your aplication, just saying "you" a lot works. Give examples, use similies, metaphores, even listing at a part will make your aplication interesting.

Third, Never Ever make it short. If your aplication is short then i doubt you'll even get a chance on getting in. If they ask "List what you know about scripting", don't just say "i know LUA and C++", give examples, spell it right (Lua consider it a insult to say it lua or LUA aparently). Tell them how good you are at it, don't say "ok" give examples!

Fourth, It really doesn't matter how good you are at development. If your willing to learn and hard working, that alone will make you good. People don't always look for skills, they look for maturity and effert. If you want to apply for a certain server, get to know them first, play on the server for a couple of months and make friends with some of the gm's/admin's. You'll have a much higher chance of being picked then.

Fifth, If they ask which server's you've been on before, theres a bad opening. You could lie, name something random like "I played on Roarcraft but it closed down now"... 90% of the time they will think your lieing even if it's true, you have to either say, experimenting on localhost/none, or, name the pervious server, give them evidance, name the friends you had on there etc. They will look it up and find out you were telling the truth.

Sixth, slang makes you look so bad. Spell with proper English/American, do not say "wut" or "plz" etc. Just using correct punctuation gives you a much higher chance as you look mature and polite, if you start insulting people or "I know how to deal with retards" (excuse bad language) there not going to like it. Just doing it once could remove all chances that you have.

There are some servers out there though who prefer brief application, ask you a couple of questions etc, Common sense is involved a lot Do it how you think it will work out best!

It takes time for them to pick, if they don't reply in the first day It's normal. If they think you are good, they wont just make you a gm they will stalk you invisible (thats what they did to me a couple of times :yuck or something, trying to see if you are that good.
    Stay active and keep to your word, don't let them down and be specific. Do not say something like "I know things." or "I know some commands" list them.
    Here is an example of a ok aplication, although they could of been more detailed, instead of just saying check. Although it is humerous

If you follow all of these then you have a high chance of getting picked. I can not promise you, you will be picked, but you have a high chance.

If i missed anything please tell me,
    I wish you like and bye bye,

-Salamanda aka stoneharry.
    Last edited by stoneharry; 08-25-2008 at 12:28 PM.

[Guide] How to make a Good Gm Aplication
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly different to the server's i've applied for

I'll give the post another paragraph about your view

Dythzer's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say:
    If you need a guide to post an application you're definitely not smart enough to be a GM. Just accept it, do better in school and come back in a few years.

But that's just my opinion. The guide is good and probably helpful for a lot of people.

Btw, I don't know about others but atleast I hate when people say "I know all commands" etc. I don't ****ing care if you know any command as long as you act mature, are helpful and use uppercase, comma and dot when needed. The commands can be learned in a day, it's not a problem.

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think that if players cant write it them selves then they shouldn't be gm as well, but i've met a lot of odd indviduels over the years and i have to say, there are some n00bs out there that learn VERY fast. So if people cant think what to write or something they can come and look at this, if not, i don't care I'll just make what i do next better learning from this.

Edit: Is that just me or did you slightly change the colour of "Hate" and "my"? Something different to caps *steals idea's*

Dythzer's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    Edit: Is that just me or did you slightly change the colour of "Hate" and "my"? Something different to caps *steals idea's*
    Yeah, I always use bold text instead of caps. Looks better imo

NSWMan's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Dythzer View Post
    I would say:
    If you need a guide to post an application you're definitely not smart enough to be a GM. Just accept it, do better in school and come back in a few years.

But that's just my opinion. The guide is good and probably helpful for a lot of people.

Btw, I don't know about others but atleast I hate when people say "I know all commands" etc. I don't ****ing care if you know any command as long as you act mature, are helpful and use uppercase, comma and dot when needed. The commands can be learned in a day, it's not a problem.
    New guy here adding my .02 cents, this is true in my opinion. In my real life job in order for me to get my next promotion I need to know how to write in a certain form and use correct vocabulary/punctuation, If my Selection package is not in the correct format (I.e, signature at the correct position on the enclosure letter and at the center of the document) the board takes one look at it and deposits it in the "circular" file. This is Interpreted by the board as " Well if Individual cannot correctly communicate with us, how will he ever communicate with his subordinates". In my mind, yes blizzard wants Mature, level headed people who can communicate and understand as a GM overall vs. someone who may be able to do code (From my experience, GM's have very little to do with the actual software). They want a customer representative more than anything.