0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sounddead View Post
    eWoW as in the new emu built in C# that you can read about like 4 threads down.
    Back a long time ago there was an emulator called eWoW that did. But that was a LONG time ago.

The History of WoW Emulation
    bloodraw08's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great read, things like this don't happen anymore.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

eseer's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this to be a very good read.

jozsab1's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/6
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice read, brings back the memories. Almost miss raymerjack He gave me the first task to actually learn c++ and join the scene.

I know the story a bit different, but time might play tricks on me.
    Team python and wowdeamon joined forces at some point. Best of the code was kept.I was the last guy who got recruited into wowd team. The manager back than was called shouji, my nick was probably Tudi back than. Burlex( full respect for hes speed ) released the sources of wowd even tough most of the other team members were voting for closed source and periodic release builds. That was the moment when the team disbanded. Project antrix was created lead by burlex, later ascent, branched into mangos lead by ( theluda ? full respect for code organization ) which later branched into trinity.....
    Ascent team disbanded after burlex left and Arcemu got created

Would also give some credit to bloody for organizing the many small emu projects back than.

Edit : heh, actually http://www.gotwow.ic.cz got it much better documented :P
    Last edited by jozsab1; 08-13-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Hiperzone's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember you Tudi omg :\ but cleary your name isnt strange to me.
    Also mangos didn't branch of ascent/antrix. Mangos is a branch of the first wowd leak which was a old version at that time. Burlex and many of you weren't part of the team back then.
    Last edited by Hiperzone; 08-23-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Waxman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Tudi. And also Bloody, Warden, Sheep, Burlex and some other guys (andreasaspenberg). I also have some of the old stuff archived. Too bad that places like Emupedia don't exist anymore. Oh well, IMHO Blizzard ruined the game with the Cataclysm anyhow.
    Last edited by Waxman; 09-23-2014 at 03:21 PM.

gsjloynesyj's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been trying to find these damn things for awhile now.

Tulba's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by LJN View Post
    Emulation will not be as big as it was today or yesterday in a short time. Day by day there are less developers, more teams and droping out, and World of warcraft keeps creating new patches. It is to blame on the communities fault. We dystroyed Ascent, we left NCDB behind, and we constantly flame Arcemu, Hearthstone or try to hack them. It's a dying community. If the Ascent based emulators drop out then Mangos will be the only one left and if we do the same things we do today it wont be around either, all out of greed and envy.
    I agree with this statement...

Maybe this could help for your further way:
    The official Arcemu FAQ - ArcEmu

Fr3DBr's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is missing a bit about Abyss, Abyss-X, EX3 & Stormcraft/Townhall Alpha & Pos-Alpha, but it's still nice to remember about it.
    Last edited by Fr3DBr; 11-06-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Wesko's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Fr3DBr View Post
    This is missing a bit about Abyss, Abyss-X, EX3 & Stormcraft/Townhall Alpha & Pos-Alpha, but it's still nice to remember about it.
    Hey Fr3DBr!

My 2 cents:
    Pantera – a silent feline

Spacey’s story about Thanatos (Panthera) told few months after project’s death

Well, it all started with me and nneonneo we were hanging around in the XaosWoW (A private server) IRC channel and we were just kind of half-seriously discussing the possibility of bringing StormCraft up-to-date, it was nothing serious at first. And then we started researching a bit on the source still not completely serious, I talked it around with shouji, he sent me some SRP libraries and wished me luck.

At the time it still wasn’t too serious. nneonneo started looking at the possibility of fixing the server-client communications. Things didn’t seem to progress so fast, and it looked like it we wouldn’t be able to do anything with it in the end. But a few weeks later, nneonneo posted his progress on BH. He had managed to fix a large part of the server-side communications, and you could now at least login to the realm list server and create a character. From there, we gained a big public attention very fast, of course, however I felt that it was not a very good kind of attention, and I was right. We were shortly thereafter contacted by AlexM who told nneonneo that it was disrespectful to continue the development of StormCraft, at the time I contacted a man named Wesko who, at the time, created a similar project so I told him me and nneonneo were interested in merging, on the condition that we would go underground. He accepted, so we simply stopped posting all progress of the project, hoping that people would forget it. In time they did. At the time nneonneo was the only active developer but later we managed to get ahold of many very experienced developers, whose name I will not reveal for their privacy, however the development hit a little roadblock, well a rather major one, after awhile we weren’t able to login to the world successfully without causing the client to crash. It took a long time for us to figure out the reason and it almost seemed like we had hit a dead end, but then one of our best developers found the solution (I won’t go in to details about this) and so development continued. Since it was so old we of course had a lot of cleaning up to do, but it was rather easy and development was going very rapid now. We cleaned everything up and made it work very smooth, and then we started working on features. The project was officially called Thanatos at the time, everything was going great we constantly recruited new developers interested in helping out, but we always managed to keep a low-profile. Until day, we announced the project publicly, because we were short on developers. This proved to be quite a mistake so we eventually discarded our statement as a hoax. A lot of people had a hard time believing this, but we had a lot of political influences at the time, so we managed to make sure that the public belief was that Thanatos was a hoax. Development moved on as usual, until we had an internal quarrel and Wesko (Yes, he wasn’t exactly the best leader) decided to split up a big portion of the team and thus we were renamed to Pantera, and this also caused a lot of members to be kicked out. The project regrouped but a lot of members were growing more and more displeased with the project, and we also discovered a lot of previously unknown weaknesses with the core, so a big rewrite was started. But because the member that was working on this left, due to circumstances that I would not like to disclose, the project started dying out gradually until somewhere around the beginning of this year when it was officially announced dead by the leader.

So that was the story of so-called hoax, one never knows what’s happening under the public scene, right?

11. Thanks Fr3DBr (1 members gave Thanks to Wesko for this useful post)
    Fr3DBr's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Wesko View Post
    Hey Fr3DBr!

My 2 cents:
    Hey Wesko. Long time no see.

And well, nice input.

K1boRG's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh the memories, brought tears. sadly greed takes over and people start destroy each others work
    * * * Give +Rep to person who helped you or any other way made you laugh / happy * * *
    * * * Looking for someone who could help with 'good' comments on one YouTube video. - possible reward - PM for more info * * *

Generin's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good ole days...

Originally Posted by Fr3DBr View Post
    Hi Fr3DBr - long time. Yes those were interesting times and the community was sooo alive back then. There use to be a really good synopsis of everything that happened (a lot more detailed), but I dont know where that link is (all about the history and GotWoW, including Bizzard's letters to shutdown, etc).

Was a lot of fun coding 3 different emulators in 3 different languages (iirc Abyss was Java).

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Generin View Post
    Hi Fr3DBr - long time. Yes those were interesting times and the community was sooo alive back then. There use to be a really good synopsis of everything that happened (a lot more detailed), but I dont know where that link is (all about the history and GotWoW, including Bizzard's letters to shutdown, etc).

Was a lot of fun coding 3 different emulators in 3 different languages (iirc Abyss was Java).
    Ah, I wish the Java emulator continued. It's too much work to rewrite it all now.

Generin's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the packets have all changed since then. The core of Stormcraft stuff was pretty solid - enough so that Blizzard asked me a lot of questions on how we could support thousands of people on a cable modem , when they had trouble supporting that on their main machines...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast