Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bachelor thesis on Reverse Engineering

Hey all,

since i wrote my bachelor thesis on the topic reverse engineering and this community taught me everything, i'd like to give back and upload the thesis.
    It is targetted at beginners and contains an introduction to assembly,calling conventions, ida and the windows api for stuff like memory reading and dll injection.

The sourcecode of the applications can be found at https://github.com/streppelchen/Bach...isApplications .

The forums didn't allow me to upload it here so i uploaded it to filebeam.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gym5te4o1g7wmdf/Reverse%20Engineering-ownedcore.pdf?dl=0

Maybe it will help some of you, maybe it won't. I'm open to feedback

streppel
    Last edited by streppel; 09-09-2014 at 06:29 AM. Reason: link updated
    NON-OBJECTIVE HYPOTHETICAL PSEUDO PROCESSOR SPEED.
    https://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/9/10044/10285683.jpg

Bachelor thesis on Reverse Engineering
    Remus3's Avatar Hobby 3D Character Artist Ex-Super Mod CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    3/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloaded, will check it out when i have the time. Thank you, also fixed your title

Think before you post. You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Parog's Avatar Kitsune Da-O! M.L.G. CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    540/266
    Trade Feedback
    20 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing your thesis, downloaded and will read.
    What's a Parog?
    Looking for competitive Valorant team!

Miksu's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    216/25
    Trade Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this, i'm currently doing Lena151 Reverse Engineering courses. Maybe this will help me with IDA

Robske's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to share the story, my thesis was also wow related. "How to detect automatized game-play in World of Warcraft"
    The goal was to detect battleground bots by observing player behavior, it worked... well enough.

In a nutshell, it looked at pretty much all client observable things such as movement (changes in movement flags, facing changes and accuracy, jumping, hot paths, ...), social behavior (target behavior, chat/emotes, mounting, ...), battleground performance (scores, objectives...), combat behavior (spell counting, idle time, ...) and made a decision based on that whether or not that player is a bot.

How it made this decision is the interesting part, I've went from the simple things like detecting statistical anomalies (based on several months of doing battlegrounds) to more advanced techniques such as machine learning (which I failed to complete in the given time-frame, shit was over-fitting).

It has a pretty darn good accuracy after a couple of minutes of observing, still some false positives though.

TLDR: Blizzard just doesn't care about bots
    Last edited by stoneharry; 08-11-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: This text colour is almost unreadable, stop using it.
    "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
    "I cried a little earlier when I had to poop" - Sku

charles420's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    25/119
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks cool

streppel's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robske: i'd be interested in reading that,if you'd share it with me. Especially the machine learning part is interesting. i looked into it with a friend to write an AI to automate some simple games and have some general knowledge of that, but have not looked to deep into it.
    NON-OBJECTIVE HYPOTHETICAL PSEUDO PROCESSOR SPEED.
    https://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/9/10044/10285683.jpg

oldmanofmen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    4/3
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Robske View Post
    Just to share the story, my thesis was also wow related. "How to detect automatized game-play in World of Warcraft"
    The goal was to detect battleground bots by observing player behavior, it worked... well enough.

In a nutshell, it looked at pretty much all client observable things such as movement (changes in movement flags, facing changes and accuracy, jumping, hot paths, ...), social behavior (target behavior, chat/emotes, mounting, ...), battleground performance (scores, objectives...), combat behavior (spell counting, idle time, ...) and made a decision based on that whether or not that player is a bot.

How it made this decision is the interesting part, I've went from the simple things like detecting statistical anomalies (based on several months of doing battlegrounds) to more advanced techniques such as machine learning (which I failed to complete in the given time-frame, shit was over-fitting).

It has a pretty darn good accuracy after a couple of minutes of observing, still some false positives though.

TLDR: Blizzard just doesn't care about bots
    Seriously cool idea for a thesis, that's genuinely the most interesting project I've heard of. I'm surprised you managed to get away with it though since it does involve reading WoW's memory which means it was against the ToS.

Eryx's Avatar Former Staff ✲ B26354 ✲ CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    574/277
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing this, I will definately read this when I get some spare time on my hands!