0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tip on getting Tol'vir fragments as fast as possible

We all know that it is only possible to get 4 digsites at a time, and in Kalimdor there is a total of 63 digsites, which contains 9 Tol'vir digsites.

Most people tend to farm until they have a reasonable amount of spawns in Uldum, but this is not the most efficient method, here's why:

You have no digsites in Uldum, that gives you a 9/63 ~ 14,28% chance to get one in Uldum.
    If you have one in Uldum already, the chance is 8/63 ~ 12,69% chance to get a second spawn in Uldum.
    If you have two spawns, the chance is 7/63 ~ 11,11% for a third spawn.
    If you have three spawns, the chance is 6/63 ~ 9,52% for a fourth spawn.

What you can see from the calculations above is that the chance of getting a Tol'vir spawn diminishes by the more you already have in Uldum.
    This means that when you get a spawn in Uldum, you should go to Uldum as fast as possible and clear the digsite instead of trying to stack them.

Trust me, with the amount of grinding required to get the rare Tol'vir items you want to consider this.

Hope it helps.

Tip on getting Tol'vir fragments as fast as possible
    Arthasman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    + rep for doing the math

joka13's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    3/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly, because:

- You always have 4 spots differents up then the total isn't 63 but only 59+1 (next new spot)=60.
    - And the right formula is
    --(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60) for 9 spots free
    --(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60)+(1/60) for 8 spots free
    etc...
    But each digsite have the same rate (1/60) to turn up individualy, don't matters if you already have 0 or 3 up.... because you can't turn the 4 together in just one spawn (your formula)
    Taking in mind, time lost travelling to Uldum from spots in the north of Kalimdor, better choise is grinding digsites north-south then south-north...

natalyas's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idk if i read wrong or something but you said that there are 63 spots, and there are 4 digsites at anytime.
    Assuming that the digsites can't spawn on the same spot it just were, then there will be 59 spots for it to choose.
    So by adjusting, it will be like this:
    0 uldum digsite: 15,25%
    1 uldum digsite: 13,56%
    2 uldum digsites:11,86%
    and so on, not much but a little
    Still good thought

Albaek's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joka13: I don't exactly understand why your logic is better than mine. You CAN get another digsite right on the same spot if you're lucky, but you CAN NOT get them stacked on top of each other at once. This means that you have a 9/63 (9 uldum spawns out of 63 total in kalimdor) with no spawns in uldum, but if there's one spawn that means you will have a 8/63 chance because that one digsite is already taken, reducing the chance to get one in Uldum.

Sorry but I tried to understand but I really didn't understand where you were going.

Originally Posted by natalyas View Post
    Idk if i read wrong or something but you said that there are 63 spots, and there are 4 digsites at anytime.
    Assuming that the digsites can't spawn on the same spot it just were, then there will be 59 spots for it to choose.
    So by adjusting, it will be like this:
    0 uldum digsite: 15,25%
    1 uldum digsite: 13,56%
    2 uldum digsites:11,86%
    and so on, not much but a little
    Still good thought
    That would be true if digsites could not spawn on top of the same place, which they can. What I mean is that if you clear a digsite there's a 1/63 chance that you'll get one at the same spot, but you can't get them "on top" of each other, meaning that the more you get in uldum = the lesser chance you have in getting them.

natalyas's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Albaek View Post
    That would be true if digsites could not spawn on top of the same place, which they can. What I mean is that if you clear a digsite there's a 1/63 chance that you'll get one at the same spot, but you can't get them "on top" of each other, meaning that the more you get in uldum = the lesser chance you have in getting them.
    well the 3 other already taken spots still dont count, since as you said yourself they can't stack.

Albaek's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's 9 spots in Uldum. 9. 9. 9. You can not get another spawn on another already existing digsite (like 1/9) unless you dig in there. Meaning that if you try to "stack" uldum before going there, you'll reduce the chance as you don't dig in Uldum.

You got 9 spots available, one spawns, it is now reduced to 8 spots available. The total amount of spots available remains the same in Kalimdor, but it only makes a spawn in Uldum less likely because you're not digging in Uldum and the cap is 9.

dontc4re's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my perspective on it is pretty simple. Screw the math.

If your not near Uldum, dont pass up other areas. If your near Uldum, get it. There are enough sites to ignore them for a small while if they are too far away.
    I generally do a bottom to top approach. Start in Uldum and zigzag your way to sites up north, all the way to Winterspring. Once your done fly south to Org(or hearth) and use the portal to Uldum, rinse repeat.
    Backwards? Yes, if its close enough. This is based off your own perception though.

Your percentages only take in one factor, when really the whole picture there are a few other variables on faster tol'vir farming.
    Last edited by dontc4re; 12-20-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Blizzhaxer's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 63 total dig sites and only 9 that we want. Giving that there are 525 point total in the skill we simply take that and, ((525/9)*63) give's us 3675. Taking that and we find that there are 24 zones in kalimdor and only 4 dig sites can be up at a time so we take what we found early and get, ((3675*4)/24) and get 612.5. So all we have to do then is take that and divid it by your total level like 85 will give you a 7.2% to get a dig site in uldum. And if you read all this Hi!
    Exploration: To go where the Game designer thinks you don't know about!

Albaek's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by dontc4re View Post
    my perspective on it is pretty simple. Screw the math.

If your not near Uldum, dont pass up other areas. If your near Uldum, get it. There are enough sites to ignore them for a small while if they are too far away.
    I generally do a bottom to top approach. Start in Uldum and zigzag your way to sites up north, all the way to Winterspring. Once your done fly south to Org(or hearth) and use the portal to Uldum, rinse repeat.
    Backwards? Yes, if its close enough. This is based off your own perception though.

Your percentages only take in one factor, when really the whole picture there are a few other variables on faster tol'vir farming.
    Unless "nearby" means in the same zone or within a few seconds reach, then no. The thing is that Uldum is extremely fast to get to due to the portals in SW/Org.

Here's what I do (which so far has given me 2 rares from Tol'vir and the Vial of the Sand recipe):

Have HS in Thunderbluff and lots of Potions of Deepholm.
    If there're lots of spawns near Hyjal or Uldum (If it is IN Uldum then I go there ASAP) : Deepholm > Org > Hyjal/Uldum.
    If there're lots of spawns in the middle: HS to Thunderbluff.

By doing this you'll always be near the digsites and will be able to take Uldum as fast as possible, and I really doubt the south to the top approach is faster than this when it comes to Tol'vir grinding.

Rahizzle's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Albaek View Post
    Unless "nearby" means in the same zone or within a few seconds reach, then no. The thing is that Uldum is extremely fast to get to due to the portals in SW/Org.

Here's what I do (which so far has given me 2 rares from Tol'vir and the Vial of the Sand recipe):

Have HS in Thunderbluff and lots of Potions of Deepholm.
    If there're lots of spawns near Hyjal or Uldum (If it is IN Uldum then I go there ASAP) : Deepholm > Org > Hyjal/Uldum.
    If there're lots of spawns in the middle: HS to Thunderbluff.

By doing this you'll always be near the digsites and will be able to take Uldum as fast as possible, and I really doubt the south to the top approach is faster than this when it comes to Tol'vir grinding.
    Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Rahizzle; 12-22-2010 at 04:24 PM.