Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A -Jewelcrafter's- Headstart in Cataclysm Gold (Very in-depth guide)

-A Jewelcrafter's Headstart in Cataclysm Gold-

Firstly, note this: DO NOT SELL THESE GEMS UNTIL CATACLYSM IS RELEASED

Before the extremely slow "hotfix" implemented by none other than Blizzard, a vast amount of the Saronite equivalent Cataclysm ore was generated from the nodes within Hyjal:

Obsidium Ore - Item - World of Warcraft

If there is any in existence in your realm, it will be very expensive to come by! I was fortunate in only having to pay 150g per stack, and I bought 40 stacks.

Being a Jewelcrafter, I was extremely interested in what may become of prospecting the ore. I was pleased with the results:

Obsidium Ore may prospect into the following gems...

-GREEN/UNCOMMON-

---

-BLUE/RARE-

If you create a seriously large hoard of these items in a guild bank or something of the sort, you will make insanely large amounts of gold when players are able to increase their profession skill beyond the current restriction of 450.

---

My Gem Log:

20 of my stacks prospected into 8 greens a stack. (2 gems/prospect)

8 * 20 = 160 GEMS

-

14 of my stacks prospected into 6 gems a stack. (2 gems/prosect + 1 gem/prospect)

14 * 6 = 84 GEMS

-

6 of my stacks prospected into 12 gems a stack. (3 gems/prospect)

6 * 12 = 72 GEMS

I actually DID NOT receive ANY blue gems whatsoever.

Total amount of gems: 160 + 84 + 72 = 316 TOTAL GEMS

When WotLK went live, simple uncommon gems would go for an average of 50 gold each (this was only for the first few days, HOWEVER, people bought them like rabids due to the fact that the "Realm First! Grand Master *Profession*" was available.)
    This is not much of a feature, but these uncommon gems vendor for 5 GOLD A PIECE. This is going to make people think that these gems are worth much more gold than a usual uncommon gem (as the current WotLK epic gems vendor for 5g/piece, and the WotLK uncommon gems vendor for 25s/piece.)

Now, lets do some more math:

316 total gems

MULTIPLIED BY

40 GOLD EACH (for the sake of prices lowering quickly)

I would come out with a total amount of gold made from selling at:

12,640 GOLD

But we also need to deduct the amount of gold spent.

12,640 GOLD

minus

6,000 GOLD

is equal to

6640 GOLD IN TOTAL PROFIT

---

Thanks for reading!

Oh, and make yourself some gold ^^

A -Jewelcrafter's- Headstart in Cataclysm Gold (Very in-depth guide)
    tkoreaper's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, since they fixed it there's no way to mine it anymore?

Cheat'R's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's correct.

But you can still buy the ore if someone is selling it.

moonk1n's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    169/24
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +rep for a nice hint!

My question is: since they've removed it and it was considered kinda against the rules, isn't there any risk that blizzard will remove the Cataclysm "unreleased" materials from your bags even if you've bought them LEGALLY from AH ? It would really suck because they won't give you the money you've spent on them back.

nukec's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a glitch that allowed you to mine obisidum in 4.0.3?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Moonk1n: No, I highly doubt that they will be able to remove the items unless a GM actually logged onto your account deleted it (this happened to me after scamming a guildbank), but seeing as there is so much ore that has been generated, they won't put it into effect.

@Nukec: Yes. When people were able to get into Hyjal before the hotfix (as stated in the beginning of the thread..) 425+ skill miners could farm Obsidium ore.

Iggyben's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good guide. Cheat'R, do you suggest selling the gems that you prospect UNCUT, allowing other JCs to cut them? I was thinking that actually cutting, then selling the uncommon gems would gather a larger profit, but I certainly could be wrong.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Iggyben View Post
    Good guide. Cheat'R, do you suggest selling the gems that you prospect UNCUT, allowing other JCs to cut them? I was thinking that actually cutting, then selling the uncommon gems would gather a larger profit, but I certainly could be wrong.
    I suggest selling them uncut, as Jewelcrafters (who net a rather large amount of money, regardless. I have experience, I am one.) will need to level their profession when Cataclysm drops, they'll most likely buy the uncut gems at almost any price.

Iggyben's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Cheat'R View Post
    I suggest selling them uncut, as Jewelcrafters (who net a rather large amount of money, regardless. I have experience, I am one.) will need to level their profession when Cataclysm drops, they'll most likely buy the uncut gems at almost any price.
    Jewelcrafters will pay twice as much for a gem that someone else prospects, rather than buying the obsidian/prospecting themselves? They will then cut them and sell them at a LOWER price? Hmm... That's never the way it's been on our server, but I've never really seen how the economy works on expansion day.
    Last edited by Iggyben; 11-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jewelcrafters will pay twice as much for a gem that someone else prospects, rather than buying the obsidian/prospecting themselves? They will then cut them and sell them at a LOWER price? Hmm... That's never the way it's been on our server, but I've never really seen how the economy works on expansion day.
    No.

Obsidium Ore will be extremely expensive, perhaps more than 150g/stack the first few days.
    And the Jewelcrafters will not be buying the gems to cut and resell, but to level the profession.

Iggyben's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Cheat'R View Post
    No.

Obsidium Ore will be extremely expensive, perhaps more than 150g/stack the first few days.
    And the Jewelcrafters will not be buying the gems to cut and resell, but to level the profession.
    But your guide involves the buying of 6k worth of obsidium ore. Why would a jewelcrafter pay so much for an uncut gem RATHER than prospect the ore himself?
    Also, are you suggesting that the jewelcrafters WONT be reselling the gems after they craft them? Cutting the gems could benefit the JC twicefold - increase in JC level and also profit *IF THE CUT GEM SELLS FOR MORE THAN THE UNCUT.

To me it seems more profitable for the jewelcrafter to mine/buy the ore, prospect, then cut (level up), then sell the newly cut gem. I understand that the ore will be priced high, but why would any JC buy the gem, rather than just prospect himself? You're guide is literally making money off of prospecting, then selling to a profession THAT CAN PROSPECT.

In the picture, your guide suggests option A. Why stop there? B. Is the most logical and profitable.

Last edited by Iggyben; 11-27-2010 at 03:20 AM.

BlodyWarior's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    5/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But your guide involves the buying of 6k worth of obsidium ore. Why would a jewelcrafter pay so much for an uncut gem RATHER than prospect the ore himself?
    Also, are you suggesting that the jewelcrafters WONT be reselling the gems after they craft them? Cutting the gems could benefit the JC twicefold - increase in JC level and also profit *IF THE CUT GEM SELLS FOR MORE THAN THE UNCUT.

To me it seems more profitable for the jewelcrafter to mine/buy the ore, prospect, then cut (level up), then sell the newly cut gem. I understand that the ore will be priced high, but why would any JC buy the gem, rather than just prospect himself? You're guide is literally making money off of prospecting, then selling to a profession THAT CAN PROSPECT.

In the picture, your guide suggests option A. Why stop there? B. Is the most logical and profitable.

people that are bothered with a realmfirst are:
    A) loaded with gold (not always but 90% of them are else you wont stand competition)
    B) They are looking for ways to reduce the time required. Thus:
    B.1) They wont wanna farm the ore themselfs to prospect
    B.2) They wont wanna prospect.

As you can see above They will most likely pay the extra buck to get that extra chance of the realmfirst rather then farm/prospect and risking the waste of time. This guide is more targeted @ selling to people that are willing to spend loads for their realm first. Sure our average joe would just farm/prospect themselfs instead but that aint the target.

IIRC some dude on our server would pay people up to 500g per cut if he would level from it, just so he could get the realmfirst(wich he got).
    Last edited by BlodyWarior; 11-27-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Iggyben's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by BlodyWarior View Post
    people that are bothered with a realmfirst are:
    A) loaded with gold (not always but 90% of them are else you wont stand competition)
    B) They are looking for ways to reduce the time required. Thus:
    B.1) They wont wanna farm the ore themselfs to prospect
    B.2) They wont wanna prospect.

As you can see above They will most likely pay the extra buck to get that extra chance of the realmfirst rather then farm/prospect and risking the waste of time. This guide is more targeted @ selling to people that are willing to spend loads for their realm first. Sure our average joe would just farm/prospect themselfs instead but that aint the target.

IIRC some dude on our server would pay people up to 500g per cut if he would level from it, just so he could get the realmfirst(wich he got).
    That makes sense. So you think that cuts will sell for LESS than uncuts and that selling the uncuts will undoubtedly make the most gold?
    Last edited by Iggyben; 11-27-2010 at 04:20 PM.

BlodyWarior's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    5/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense. So you think that cuts will sell for LESS than uncuts and that selling the uncuts will undoubtedly make the most gold?
    as i stated people will look for the fastest way and just buy the uncut to cut them. Now obviously this isnt just 1 person, lets say its 10 on that server. Now these 10 want the uncut but there is only limited supply and their suppliers are looking for ways to exploit the people goin for realm first thus driving the prices up, it will sell anyways (the first couple days that is). after they have cut all those gems they obviously wont be needing them all thus they will be looking for a way to get rid of them. First option is selling them to players via trade or AH. Now 10 people will have the same gems cut and post them @ AH. to make sure it sells they will undercut, eventualy driving the prices below what they bought it for.

on the first days/week people might go apeshit and buy all those cut-gems, but when the economy settles and the supply/demand changes to loads supply but average demand it will go less yes.

This is just my point of view and has been like this in previous expansion, so i see no way what would make it different this time around.
    Last edited by BlodyWarior; 11-28-2010 at 04:23 AM.

xXCharleyXx's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres always some gold to make when a jc buy uncut gems and sell cut after.
    "I believe there's something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast