Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogue 4.0.1 PvP Specs/Other misc. bits and pieces

-Introduction

Hello, I'm Elrath as you may realize from my ID on this site. Anyways, I have been an arena player since only season 5, although not a gladiator, I have attained rival every season since then on a restoration druid, and have began pushing with my rogue. I pushed Vanquisher, and top 200 teams on the arena tournament server.

Anyways, on to the guide for Rogue 4.0.1 PvP.

1. Specs

At the current time, it seems that all the 3 rogue specs are viable for pvp, although Combat is somewhat lacking than the other two, its a viable option, depending on both your playstyle and preference. Here are a few of the specs, and a short description of all of them and why they are set up the way they are.

WoW Talent Calculator - Sigrie ~ 3/2/31

This spec is a Sub build, focused on Backstab and Ambush without bleeds.
    This spec is a more offensive spec, as it does not focus on many defensive talents, and you don't take Cheat Death for the fall-back "Oh sh*t!" relief. Although it lacks in defense, it gains in its offensive capabilities. Often times you will open with Premed, Cheap Shot, Kidney, Dance Spam-bush and hope something dies, although at higher skill levels you'll learn how to use both Shadowstep, and Shadowdance defensively or to CC. (Example: I personally use Shadowdance in arena some times, and sap a player during the dance; an example for Shadowstep would be in general PvP, shadowstepping a player and escaping behind LoS [Line of Sight]).

WoW Talent Calculator - Sigrie ~ 3/2/31

A variation of the above spec, although this spec is focused on bleeds, and not Ambush.
    This spec is very useful for plate, as all your different bleeds ignore armor, although resilience will cause an issue at the moment. This spec you will often open with Premed, Garrote, Hemo to 5, Rupture, then begin your usual Sub rotation of Backstabs/Spam-bush. This spec doesn't have cheat death, much like the above spec. Although both of these specs can be altered to remove points from Relentless Strikes -> Cheat Death

WoW Talent Calculator - Sigrie ~ 32/2/2

Assassination, one of the more popular specs at the moment, much like the Sub spec (see the first spec.)
    At the moment, I find this spec to be a lot more fun than it was. Often times you will open with your basic opener of Cheap Shot or Garrote, depending on the class. Mutilate to 5, then Envenom or Eviscerate. I do in fact find myself using Eviscerate against target I have less than 2 stacks of Deadly Poison on, or Cloth/Leather armored enemies, plate or mail I will always wait out for the stacks (or shiv). Vendetta is a great ability in collaboration with Cold Blood, as its like an instant critical for 20% more damage! (In example: Open, Mutilate to 5, Vendetta+CB+Envenom.) Vendetta also helps to keep a target on rogues who are going for a restealth, although both Vanish and Divine Shield remove it!

WoW Talent Calculator - Sigrie ~ 3/31/2

Combat, the more lacking spec, although I totally prefer this spec due to Skill-spree being so fun ^.^.
    You will find this spec to be quite boring at times, as all you do is Sinister to 5, Revealing strike, then Eviscerate like a boss. Always use Revealing Strike prior to using Eviscerate, as it makes it hit 20% harder. I recommend NOT using daggers for this spec, but use a Slow/Fast axe set up, or Slow/Slow if you prefer just to Skill-Spree things...

2. Glyphs
    Most of the glyphs are already set up in the talent calculators, those glyphs shown are the ones I personally recommend, although glyph set up is all personal choice, but those seem like the more common glyphs to use.

3. Gemming/Enchanting: Agility gems, AP Enchants. Pretty simple, Tuskarr's for any spec besides Assassination, Berserk in mainhand and titanium weapon chain in offhand.

4. Tricks or Tips
    -Sub, you can Premeditate, and Recuperate while in stealth for a free heal.
    -Sub, you can Premeditate, and Slice and Dice while in stealth for a little more haste.
    -General, you can use Recuperate or Slice and Dice after killing an enemy, as long as they don't release.
    -Recuperate talented with a bandage on top of it, is a 75% or more heal, pretty spiffy ^.^.

Well, that's all I have for now. I may consider drawing up a guide for specific classes at a later time, depending on how well this one shows itself to be.

Please be gentle! And thanks for reading! ^.^. (First guide...):wave:

Rogue 4.0.1 PvP Specs/Other misc. bits and pieces
    kixer's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For this to be complete, I would like to see the values of hit, haste, crit and mastery for all three types of specs, thanks

shaddydxd's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/6
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide dude ^^ but would'nt black magic be better than berserk atm ?

Chakac's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mongoose > berserking = Black Magic

Thanks G/R
    0/6
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheapshot and kidney share dr right? so would it not be better do use premed > garrote > kidney shot > ambush spam ? just asking xD

Elrath723's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As this is a PvP compilation, I won't go into details about much of the stats of Haste and Crit, although I would think for most specs that Crit > Haste, but I'm not certain.

Currently, hit is required to be at the very least 5% for PvP, 7% playing against Night Elves.

The Sub mastery is a very useful stat, as it assists with your finishers' damage, for example Premed, ambush, Eviscerate a clothie, if you have the extra stats to lose for this, I recommend it for more burst, unless you prefer to pace yourself while slaughtering mages :P.

The Assassination mastery is somewhat useful, although I find it somewhat lackluster, as all it does is increase your poisons' damage, which is quite high, but with PvP gear, you have few stats to choose while reforging, and crit is important to get those 3 point mutilates.

The Combat mastery sortof seems useful, but I haven't really did any testing around it. I would think with enough mastery, it could be quite powerful, but at this point it doesn't seem all too amazing. A extra-swing-on-proc type thing never really sat well with me, especially since I prefer not to depend on an RNG factor to kill a player.

Currently yes, Cheap Shot and Kidney both share a DR, meaning after a 4 second Cheap Shot, Kidney at 5 points is only 3 seconds, so you get 7 seconds of stun instead of the usual 9-10(not sure). Garrote only silences for 2 seconds, glyphed for 4, making it slightly better against casters, but not in particular other melee or non-casters.

No, black magic is currently not better. The haste is nice, yes, but Assassination is the only spec you will actually see it proc frequently to a degree, and either way, the Attack Power from Berserkering more valuable than that of Haste, not to mention one of your weapons must be a Titanium Weapon Chain (For disarm), unless you run with a 3rd offhand and swap between a Berserkering one and a Weapon Chained one.

Thanks G/R
    0/6
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh okay ^^ thanks for the answers ^^

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by shaddydxd View Post
    Ohh okay ^^ thanks for the answers ^^
    No problem ^.^.

P.S I am open to any other questions or thoughts.

Femputer9001's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good guide, helpful info, keep up the good work.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the support everyone ^.^. Glad it was helpful and/or useful.

Excesum's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helpful guide, thanks alot Gonna wipe the dust off my rogue now and start gearing him! +Rep x4

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Excesum View Post
    Helpful guide, thanks alot Gonna wipe the dust off my rogue now and start gearing him! +Rep x4
    Glad to hear it . Have fun, and thanks for the Rep

huurka's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haste >>>>> Crit

Reforge all your gear from crit and excessive hit to haste.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For PvP, you shouldn't have excess hit, nor should you have much of, if any, haste. There's no point in reforging to haste, especially for PvP, since that haste isn't going to land you as many kills as Crit is.

kixer's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Elrath723 View Post
    For PvP, you shouldn't have excess hit, nor should you have much of, if any, haste. There's no point in reforging to haste, especially for PvP, since that haste isn't going to land you as many kills as Crit is.
    Is this still true after patch 4.0.1? I've seen people reforging to haste in Assa spec. Energy generation is now dependant on Haste. But crits are now NOT diminished by Resilience. Hm... Probably we need to wait for the new season to start to see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast