0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thorns Powerleveling (4.0.1)

Hello guys, i just serched on Forums and just found a few Treads about thorns and nothing envolving the changes they made to Thorns on 4.0.1 so i hope you dont Blame me, im just trying to contribute since im a very old Leecher here and i want to change that
    So...

This exploits Need a lvl 80 Boomkin (maybe will work with a lvl 70 + too)
    And a low level character (1 - 70)

i did this with my main Char (a lvl 80 Moonkin in full wrathfull)
    and a friends lvl 64 priest

So let say...

1- Enter a instance (Shadow labs for my example)
    2. Inside the instance leave party
    3. Let the Priest pull a group of 2 - 5 elite mobs
    4. Buff the priest with Thorns (Now its last 20 secs with a 45 secs CD (can be 25 Secs CD with Glyph))
    5. Overheal him (Thorns will be doin 2k - 3k Dmg each time the priest get hit, so he will be hited arround 10 times for each mob for my example in Shadow labs, if you dont heal him..... he will die)
    6. As soon as all the mobs die just invite him back to party so you dont get teleported out the instance (you have arround 1 min to do all the thing)
    7. Drink and Repeat =D

i was getting 3k Non Rested exp per mob in Shadow labs with this lvl 64 priest(The priest dont even have Hairlooms items), thats a 6k Rested Exp per mob... lets Say you kill 3 mobs per Pull thats a 18k Exp for Each pull, and a single pull takes 1 min... Thats a insane amount of Exp considering that a quest on that level gives arround 10 - 12k Exp.

You can Prettymuch improve this if you are leveling let say a warrior, so he can actually pull larger amount of mobs and Shield Wall, thats up for your imagination =D

i hope this help anyone.

And Sorry for my CRAPPY English =D

Good luck!

Thorns Powerleveling (4.0.1)
    maddog323's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you done an entire instance with this does it work on bosses as well?
    i know you said 18k per pull pull last less than a min. so round to a min thats about 1080 k xp/hour.

Even in WoTLK thats pretty impressive. i figure this would be nuts for lvls 50+ trying to get a burst lvl into outlands just run them through strath or BRD once or twice
    Last edited by maddog323; 10-19-2010 at 11:26 AM.

opihue's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did this mostly on the first 2 rooms of Shadow labs, then reset, dunno how it works on bosses but i dont think its a good idea since if the thorns does 2k dmg per tick, and a boss have arround 70k Health it will take so long to kill =D
    Anyway if you can kill a boss with this it will probably gives you a LOT of exp. but i prefer to just kill elites then reset. its faster and safe =P

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by opihue View Post
    i did this mostly on the first 2 rooms of Shadow labs, then reset, dunno how it works on bosses but i dont think its a good idea since if the thorns does 2k dmg per tick, and a boss have arround 70k Health it will take so long to kill =D
    Anyway if you can kill a boss with this it will probably gives you a LOT of exp. but i prefer to just kill elites then reset. its faster and safe =P
    well does the ticks lock the xp to that toon i mean one tick and than have the drrod unleash a starfall, mob is still locked to low lvl toon all xp goes to him

opihue's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes hapened that i had to kill the mobs because the priest was about to die, and he didnt got the 3k exp, just 500.

Ssateneth's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by maddog323 View Post
    well does the ticks lock the xp to that toon i mean one tick and than have the drrod unleash a starfall, mob is still locked to low lvl toon all xp goes to him
    No. Once it's tagged to you, you only get XP proportional to how much damage you do to it. Example: Mob normally gives 100XP and has 100HP. You wand it for 1hp and tag it, and some high level outside of your group finishes off the other 99hp. You only get 1XP instead of 100XP since you only did 1 damage out of the possible 100.

That's how some people powerleveled when wotlk came out, but they got banned just before their paladin tank (the one getting powerleveled) hit 80. Think athena was in the group. He was using some weird build and gear that maximized the tank's damage output so he'd get more xp.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Blehmeh View Post
    No. Once it's tagged to you, you only get XP proportional to how much damage you do to it. Example: Mob normally gives 100XP and has 100HP. You wand it for 1hp and tag it, and some high level outside of your group finishes off the other 99hp. You only get 1XP instead of 100XP since you only did 1 damage out of the possible 100.

That's how some people powerleveled when wotlk came out, but they got banned just before their paladin tank (the one getting powerleveled) hit 80. Think athena was in the group. He was using some weird build and gear that maximized the tank's damage output so he'd get more xp.
    shouldn't that work the same way than with an outside party heal?

opihue's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i started to do this i didnt wanted to heal my priest because i was thinkig he will lost the exp... but no, just healing him while he is on thorns getting the 100% dmg done to the mobs gives full exp to priest.

IMU7899's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't get ANY XP if you don't atleast hit the target when using thorns. I realized how much DMG the new thorns does on my druid alt a few days ago, and decided to do HUGE pulls in just random world mobs, you only gain XP if you hit them with a spell, thorns alone doesn't do the trick.

bluesius's Avatar Established Member
    Thanks G/R
    3/6
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obvious way of using thorns is being obvious.

I mean, literally any person that has a druid has knowledge of the new effect of thorns. Now take this knowledge, and combine it with the 780 000 guides / threads / youtube videos that shows you a proof of concept on "mob tagging" as a boost mechanism.

Voila!

thebluefish's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, not so obvious to many. A lot of people will notice this new change, and a lot of people might see a potential application, but people are people and most won't ever connect the dots.

wowinsane's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So(and I'm just thinking out loud here) but I think this site should hold post till an admin/or elite etc can read the new post to put it in the right sections before its posted for the public to read so some exploits/guides/whatever will have alittle longer up time. I'm sure people come to this forums just to find something to mail blizzard about and ruin it for everyone. What ya think ?

Jizzy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm unfamiliar with how thorns works now, but last time I leveled with thorns on my prot warrior (Apply hots, AFK) I discovered that thorns damage is not counted towards your own damage, therefore you only receive XP for the damage you or your party have done personally, even if you tag the mob.

Peasodecesar's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will try with my chars

Discipline's Avatar Contributor ALADEEN MOTHERFUCKER! CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R