0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Name Change

After a few responses of people attempting this, it would seem that this is only fully working on EU servers. A large number of people on US cannot get it to work. If you've gotten this to work on US servers, please let me know if you did it any differently than how this guide describes.

Found this myself a few days ago by accident. If you go to the Faction Transfer service, choose your selected character and put in credit card info but enter the wrong security code, it'll still say the transfer is pending for your selected character and will progress once correct credit card info is submitted. Now, if you log in to WoW, your character will have the normal name and random number after it. Do NOT ticket this as a GM will simply take the letters away. Instead, get peoples attention. Talk in trade, do BGs/LFGs. Eventually you'll get those fags who're jealous of your new badass name and report you to a GM. After the GM realises how this error occured, your name will be flagged for change when you next log in.

Thanks to user 'pnrxt', it has also been confirmed you MUST have a balance of €25+ on the credit card you're using or it won't work. You won't be charged this amount, of course, it's still free.
    He has also provided a quicker method of getting your name flagged for change and less likely to catch a GMs attention. Lets say your name is 'Example'. After doing this exploit, your name changes to 'Example2746' and you're now waiting to be flagged for name change. Create a new lv1 character and also name it 'Example', now log in on the character you want changed, in this case being 'Example2746' and you will instantly be flagged for name change. Be sure to delete the lv1 after. Thanks to pnrxt for sharing this information.

I didn't think to take screenshots because this was totally unintentional and, typically, I went back to do it again for more screenshots but...

For now, the only one I have is getting trades attention.

I'll update the thread once the Faction Transfer service is back up on the EU site and post more screenshots when I get them simply for proof. Should be easy enough to follow without them for now.

EDIT: Account management now seems to be back up and I've tried it again. It would seem you need to put in the correct credit card info but the wrong Security Code. Changed info above to reflect this.

I've also discovered another bug while taking more screenshots as proof this works. I did it on two characters to be certain, and it would seem the mage I did it to duplicated. See bottom screenshot.

Be sure to choose Character Faction Change on Battle.net

Then keep ALL information, i.e, Full Name, Email address, Card Number and Expiery date exactly as it is on the card, then change the Security code on the back of your card by one digit. It should still be three digits long.

This is what I get after inputting the incorrect Security Code.

After you've gotten your new name, go to the Faction Change Transactions page. There should be a tab called "Faction Changes Requiring Payment". Just click cancel transaction to ease off suspicion.
    This link is for EU servers so it'll vary on US. Keeping in mind US seems to be having trouble with this exploit in the first place.

Last edited by Teliko; 06-20-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Free Name Change
    XC4T4LY5TX's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats hawt...i think ill try that

ClearFlare's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill try this with the site is back up will edit with results

EDIT: more details.... its not working.
    Last edited by ClearFlare; 06-15-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Flushie's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant confirm it for U.S.

DrWho1988's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did something similar to this but I used the Character Recustomization and used my PayPal debit card. I had no money on the account but it still went through and I got a free customization!

"I am just absolutely convinced that the best formula for giving us peace and preserving the American way of life is freedom, limited government, and minding our own business overseas." - Ron Paul

Multitask's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
    I just did something similar to this but I used the Character Recustomization and used my PayPal debit card. I had no money on the account but it still went through and I got a free customization!
    yea your account will go negative and be locked untill you pay it. paypal loans you the money until it is withdrawn from your account which can take a day or 2.

DarkLinux's Avatar Former Staff
    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    188/531
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice free name change! What!! They will freeze my account? Can I do the name change to change my name back and not have to pay for it?

XC4T4LY5TX's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by dr. Watson View Post
    i just did something similar to this but i used the character recustomization and used my paypal debit card. I had no money on the account but it still went through and i got a free customization!
    lol!!!!!!!!!!

hayboy1213's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't work for US, Says I Can't enter world until Recustomization is done, I used a giftcard with like $2 on it, it's still pending. Lol.

Teliko's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faction Transfer still down for me on EU : / And no, it seems unlikely you can get in trouble for it. A GM never even spoke to me. Was simple as I'd logged in and was prompted to change the name of the character.

ßetray's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible the FT service is still down because of this bug people were using. If that's the case then bummer. If it's still available when it comes back up, then I'm definitely going to try to take advantage of it. I used the old free name change w/ FT (main causing it to not work) probably 5+ times.

dsup's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will try and post

Taxis's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I'm wrong, stuff like faction transfer etc is down because of the 24 hour maintenance(on some realms). So don't think it's related to this.

ot4ku1992's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    3/1
    Trade Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Teliko View Post
    choose your selected character and put in incorrect credit card info
    What incorrect credit card info did you use there?

GuyPrice's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faction Change Payment Failed
    Your payment method was not accepted. Your character remains on its original faction. If you wish to reattempt the Faction Change, please simply repeat all the steps from the first page of the Character Faction Change service.

Click here to return to the Character Faction Change.
    Didn't work for me.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast