Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cataclysm Gold-making Tips

Firstly and most importantly, stock up on bags! What are one of the very first things you get a freshly made alt when you've got a main with a decent amount of gold? Bags! So, start stocking up on those Netherweave and Frostweave bags, because they're gonna be some of the hottest sellers at the release of Cataclysm. You might even consider using your excess cloth and having bags made out of that, or even making your own bags while leveling tailoring at the same time!

Bags are practically a necessity when it comes to leveling alts. If you've ever gone from playing a character with four 16+ slotters to a new character with beginner bags, you probably know how annoying it is to have to constantly keep walking to the vendor. Well let's intensify that annoyance by throwing in that you're trying to play a new race and wonder through a new questline..well yes, now walking back to the vendor constantly does seem even more frivolous, doesn't it? Bags are a high-in-demand item for all levelers, and Cataclysm leveling is no exception. With 2 new races and more class opportunities, it's a safe bet to assume that bags are going to be in very high demand.
    What other items should we stock up on?

• Vanity Items - These items are used for achievements and the newly created alts will need to gain achievement points to match their main's. As stated above, there is expected to be an excess of newly-created characters at the release of Cataclysm (just like in every other WoW expansion)
      Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
      The best example of this is tracking White Kitten prices since Vanilla. It has had the exact same supply for the entire time. I remember when they sold for 1g in Vanilla. Now they fetch 100g easy. Expect them to sell for 300-500g in a year.

• If you can get your hands on them, the Sealed Chest vanity items from the Shadowmourne completion rewards are killer for protecting against inflation. These are vanity items that, right now, are created incidentally from guilds pursuing top tier content. In Cata, these vanity items will only be pursued by (imo crazy) people looking to pursue vanity items! (SMourne itself being a vanity item). I'd suggest paying up to 100k for the mount, 40k for the tabard, and 20k for the other three.

Other good options are Tourney pets for 400g per or less, rare drop pets for 1.5k per or less, white kittens (yes, srsly) for 100g per or less, or hyacinth macaws for 10k or less. The only exception is the azure drake pet, since the mobs that drop it are being removed from the game, this pet is a total wild card.
    • High Level Profession Mats (350-425)
      so what should you invest in if you're looking to actively profit from Cata changes? WotLK 350-425 mats are by far the best bet. Yes, even with the prof changes listed above.

• The reason is two fold: first and foremost, margin of safety. Saronite Ore sells on most servers for about the vendor price (if smelted). JCs are mass churning amulets out of green gems to vendor. Bot farmers are farming the hell out of WotLK level herbs, driving prices into the ground.

Secondly, there is no way that anyone in Cata will be farming these in the volume that it happens today. In particular, it won't interest bot farmers since WotLK mats just won't have the volume.

So, they're currently trading for ~vendor costs, and we know that Cata ore is going to have higher vendor costs (either directly, or through tradeskills), and the supply is going to plummet. The only way prices can go is up.
    Next, you might consider buying a few personal guild banks to store all your stuff, or use the in-game mail system (keeping the 30 day expiration in mind). I was announcing in trade every few hours, "WTB Guild Banks at a reduced price! Paid a lot for your guild bank? Don't want it to go to waste by disbanding? PST me!" or something along those lines. I scored a 6-tab guild bank for 600g up front and 400g a few hours later, bringing it to a total of 1,000g (value: 9,350g).

Blacksmithing, Leatherworking and Tailoring

• We didn't feel like we were getting much flexibility from specializations, so they have been removed for all three of these professions. The intent was to help people diversify their profession to feel different from that of other players, but through other professions we've found systems that work better to this end, such as simply making recipes available that you can earn over time.

- Blizzard Post
    Tailoring will only have 1 High end cloth to craft with 5 different recipies to craft it. they will all have long cooldowns [1week] but currently we are not sure if they are going to be shared cooldowns or you can craft all 5.
    - anaalius's hunt for gold
    So as you can see, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking and Tailoring will all be undergoing some major changes. Tailoring specifically may possibly allow for 5 high end cloth to be crafted each week (speculation). Crafting that high end cloth at the release of Cataclysm will definitely make it very valuable to you and others who want to buy it.

Should I be leveling up professions on my alts?

• This is not recommended because, as stated above, it is expected that leveling professions will be much easier once Cataclysm releases. The prices you pay for mats right now will probably decrease at the release of Cataclysm due to oversupply and limited demand.

Should I be leveling up my main's professions?

• If your main's professions are not maxed, you may take this into consideration. While mat prices are expected to decline, you may have an easier time maxing your alts' professions if your main is already maxed. This is due to the rumored x2 skill points profession tome mentioned earlier.
      data mining data has found a BoA tome that doubles the number of skill points you get for leveling profs! The speculation right now is that these tomes will be purchasable by anyone with a max level prof to make releveling the prof much easier for all future toons. I don't know about your server, but on my server a very large percent of herbs used are from people leveling extra alchemists for xmute alts. These players will now need half the herbs as previously.

Some more tips from Bravada
    So I gave some AH / stockpiling tips in my previous post, but there's far more you can do to get your roster of toons prepped for maximum gold making once Cata ships. In my opinion, this is far more valuable than simply stockpiling items; stockpiling items will give you a one time profit. While this profit can be substantial, you'll make far more in the long run with an account loaded with toons that (maybe even passively) churn out gold continuously for the rest of the expansion.

Dual Gatherers

Now, this next piece of advice is probably a bit obvious, but it will make an absolute killing in the first two months of Cata:

Level an 80 Druid dual-gatherer with epic flight.

That's it. Do this, and take a couple short brakes from racing your main to 85, and you'll make bank. In the first two months of the expansion, Cata mats will be by far the best way to make gold, but the window of opportunity is very narrow. Every single serious raider is going to be madly rushing to complete their crafting profs for the first tier of raiding content, and many many casual players will want to level their crafting profs as well. There's a huge opportunity here for 200g/stack herb/ore sales, and with flying mounts right out of the gate, having a dual gatherer ready to go will make an absolute killing.

You'll want to be a Druid, of course, for five reasons:
    1. Instant speed flying mount.
    2. No need to dismount to gather herbs.
    3. Combat speed (Travel form) to run away from mobs that aggro from your gathering ore.
    4/5. Indoor speed (feral talent, 30% cat form speed) + Stealth to get at all those mineral nodes underground.

I would be shocked to find dual gatherers getting less than 1k/hour when all the raiders are busy powerleveling to 85 and/or gearing for the first tier raid content. There will be astronomical-never-will-you-see-it-again demand, and limited supply (since lots of players will focus on non-gold aspects of the game and/or don't have a dual gatherer like you to take advantage of the market opportunity!)

Depending on how heavily invested you are in your main's profs, you may actually want to drop your profs pre-Cata and change your main to a dual gatherer. This way you'll be able to make a killing while you're madly powerleveling to 85. This depends very much on which profs you have right now though: don't drop tailoring / alch (see below) for herb / mining, but most other profs should be safe--but only if you're willing to start from scratch once the herbing/mining boom is over! You'll need to decide for youself if this is worth it to you. (I'm not doing this, personally).

Alchemy / Tailoring CDs

The second fantastic account prep strategy is to level as many 75+ toons as you can to set up a factory of xmute / cooldown toons. I have two accounts, and plan on having 11 max lvl alchemists and ~5 tailors to churn out Volatile xmutes, epic gems, and cloth.

Assuming that the value of xmutes and tailoring cooldowns keeps pace in Cata, you're looking at about 150g/day per toon (in today's terms), or 300g/day in 4.0 inflation-adjusted terms. Lets say you get 5 of these alts for Cata, then you'll be able to afford epic flight for a new toon every ~3 days! That's a lot of passive income!!

"But Bravada!" I hear you say, "Didn't you just say before that leveling profs post Cata will be easier than today!? How can you turn around and suggest that we level profs now, before we can take advantage of this?"

Wow, that's an excellent question. You've been paying attention! Well, I guess the answer depends on how much gold you want to make before the xpac hits! >_>

At level 65, you can learn WotLK level profs, including (for alchemy) epic gem xmutes and (for tailoring) frostweave bags and specialty cloth (Spellweave, Ebonweave, and Moonshroud). I'll talk about alch first, then tailoring after.

Now, lets assume that (like last time) Blizzard targets a release in November. This means that there's a solid 4 months of epic gem xmutes to cash in on before the Cataclysm. The average profit per xmute right now is about 65g (without a JC). With 120 days before the next expansion, that's... 7800g. Profit. Without taking into account XMute specialization! Per alt! With XMute added in, profit jumps to 80g per xmute, for a total profit of 9.6k. Multiply that by however many alts you're willing to level and you'll see why I'm not too concerned with saving even 2k gold in leveling costs! As an added bonus, alchemy is one of the cheapest profs to level, with average powerleveling costs in the ~3k range, including the Primal Mights needed to specialize. And, you only need to be lvl 65 to take advantage of this, so you can race all your alts to 65 now (or 68 for xmute spec) and then take your sweet time finishing off the grind to 75.

Now, tailoring is much less sweet of a deal, unfortunately. Since they got rid of tailoring CDs in 3.3, there isn't any passive earning power left. That being said, every serious gold maker should already have at least one tailor leveled to make bags. Assuming you're on board with churning out a gbank tab (9 of bags, at 50g profit per bag, there's no way your first tailor won't pay for itself. You can also still make good gold on a lot of servers (server dependent! know your economy before relying on this!) by making specialty cloth, so I'd suggest trying that market out as well.

Unfortunately, since there's no passive bonus for additional tailors, there isn't much value in pre-leveling tailoring on your remaining posse of alts, but I would highly suggest stockpiling mats now sitting in these alts bags waiting to go once 4.0 ships. There should be an opportunity in there a few weeks before the expansion hits where new prof changes are in the game, but Cata content is still unavailable. This way you'll be able to take full advantage of easier prof leveling while still being ready to start churning out Cata specialty cloth (on a one week CD) out of the gate.

Note: I suggest powerleveling a tailor pre 4.0 since you'll want to get started on bags ASAP, and unprocessed frostweave cloth takes up a lot of bag space. If you're willing to mail bounce a lot of cloth, then you may do better waiting for 4.0.

Here's hoping this is helpful for some of you. As I said at the top, check back here later and I'll try to update with more speculative strategies for Cata investment (assuming I can find reliable Beta info).
    Special thanks to..
    +Rep Bravada - For correcting most of my previously written misconceptions in and adding a ton to this tip compilation. Your first couple of posts here on MMOwned (and in this topic) were definitely some of the most contributory posts I've seen. I welcome you and hope you're here to stay, because I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you wrote.

DISCLAIMER

Well I hope you all benefited from these gold-making tips! Please understand that most of the information in this guide is based on previous historical results at the release of prior expansions. While I cannot guarantee 100% accuracy in the results through use of this guide, it is highly likely that you will benefit by using this guide. However, I shall not be held responsible for any monetary or virtual loss you may suffer from using this guide. Use at your own risk!

Last edited by Confidence; 07-06-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Zytan's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a LOT! But maybe you could add a few examples of things to buy for the ones lazy to check? :P
    +Rep for ya!

Confidence's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Zytan View Post
    Thanks a LOT! But maybe you could add a few examples of things to buy for the ones lazy to check? :P
    +Rep for ya!
    This was something I was intending to do when the maintenance was over on WoW so I could see my snatch list. I've gone back and put in some examples of what's on my Snatch List.
    Last edited by Confidence; 06-15-2010 at 12:52 PM.

ketrish's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/13
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice trick with guild bank

baseballdude02's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for the tips. +rep

Just have one quick question.
    I know this will vary from server to server and you cant really tell. How much do you estimate the % increase will be from the current prices of stuff like herbs, ores, etc... will be.

I havent payed much attention over the past 2 expansions to the economy.

Again thanks for the guide, lookin forward to tryin it out.

stalkerzero's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought about doing this starting a few months ago. However, the changes to the leveling of professions that have been mentioned make me a little nervous. There is no guarantee that things will stay the same. Rare patterns will be giving more skill ups than Uncommons. This very well could change how professions are power-leveled. Not to rain on anyone's parade but this is possibly a risky investment.

Edit:
    Here's a reference from WoW.com's insider panels from Blizzcon.

Multiple skill gains
    They're changing the way that we earn professions skills. Making five green-quality boots might net you one skill point, while making one blue-quality boot might net you five skill points.

This should be quite a welcome change. It may not, in the end, help us skill up faster, but what it certainly will do is shuffle a lot of our crafting to inexpensive gear. In other words, we will no longer be making blues or even epics over and over trying to get skill points and failing because they are green level.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stalkerzero View Post
    I had thought about doing this starting a few months ago. However, the changes to the leveling of professions that have been mentioned make me a little nervous. There is no guarantee that things will stay the same. Rare patterns will be giving more skill ups than Uncommons. This very well could change how professions are power-leveled. Not to rain on anyone's parade but this is possibly a risky investment.

Edit:
    Here's a reference from WoW.com's insider panels from Blizzcon.

Multiple skill gains
    They're changing the way that we earn professions skills. Making five green-quality boots might net you one skill point, while making one blue-quality boot might net you five skill points.

This should be quite a welcome change. It may not, in the end, help us skill up faster, but what it certainly will do is shuffle a lot of our crafting to inexpensive gear. In other words, we will no longer be making blues or even epics over and over trying to get skill points and failing because they are green level.
    They will still require the same materials, though. Not like Blizz is planning on reinventing every single leveling mat - that would cause a real block in the leveling process for professions, which is what they're trying to avoid.

CuT's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    7/18
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well written guide but this is complete and utter common sense...

In summation: ZOMG BUY LOW LEVEL GEWDZ AND CHEAP GUILDBANKZ. O AND BAHGS!!!

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by CuT View Post
    Well written guide but this is complete and utter common sense...

In summation: ZOMG BUY LOW LEVEL GEWDZ AND CHEAP GUILDBANKZ. O AND BAHGS!!!
    It may be common sense to you, but this guide stresses the importance of these three specific concepts because of Cataclysm, thus making this guide valuable.

Zytan's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Confidence View Post

This was something I was intending to do when the maintenance was over on WoW so I could see my snatch list. I've gone back and put in some examples of what's on my Snatch List.
    Thanks Much better now :P

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Zytan View Post

Thanks Much better now :P
    No problem haha.

Beorn17's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks this is useful, I will deffo try this out but only on a small scale i'm saving my gold for expected costs in Cata! lol - yeah kinda counter-productive but i'm tired of gold making

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Beorn17 View Post
    Thanks this is useful, I will deffo try this out but only on a small scale i'm saving my gold for expected costs in Cata! lol - yeah kinda counter-productive but i'm tired of gold making
    I see, well it's expected that the average player will need about 10,000g for the Cata release. I'm glad you like my guide and are planning on putting it to use.

hayboy1213's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know this? And bags? Won't tailors still be able to make them?

Bloodyme's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you expect is the best thing to farm for, as in what is going to fetch me the most profit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast