20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] How to get or maintain a good reputation in your guild

It's been a while since I have written a guide and I was browsing a few forums and I found a thread on a forum that we can't mention here, but I will quote the original post.

Originally Posted by Johnx014
    Besides showing up to raids ontime and doing my best how can i gain respect in my guild? What makes you respect a guildie?
    This got me thinking, those who plan to get a good head start in Cataclysm, really want to be on top of their guild. Blizzard is linking 10 and 25 man lockouts, so there is a good chance that many current 25 man guilds will start focusing on 10 man raids. There will also be more players floating around because guilds tend to break up / people tend to leave for leveling guilds whenever an expansion is released.
    With more players floating around, there is a bigger pool for your guild to pick from, and if you aren't a very fast leveler, you need to give them a reason to want you to in their raid team once you hit L85.

The first thing that you need to identify is why do you
    wish to gain a good reputation in your guild?

- Is it so that you can become an officer, class leader, raid leader, etc?
    - Is it so that you can feel important or get a feeling of accomplishment?
    - Is it so that you can do more to help your guild improve in the future?
    - Is it so that you can have more access to the guild bank?
    - Or so that you can get a guaranteed spot on the raid?
    The list is endless, but you need to decide why you are wanting to gain a good reputation, even if your reason is not on the above list.

Let's start with some general guidelines that work for both
    real life situations (job interviews) and World of Warcraft (guild applications/officer applications):

1) Research. It is very important that you are as informed as possible about what you are doing or what you are trying to get yourself into. Find out a little about the guild, find out who the guild leader, officers and raid leaders are. Make sure you know what days and times the guild raids at and which instances they raid. Find out what they require you to do once in the guild (raid attendance, addons, raid boss strategy knowledge, consumables, gems and enchants)

2) Dressing for the occasion. As in real life, it is important that you dress accordingly. In World of Warcraft you will want to show your guild that you are making an effort to acquire better gear, you use the best possible gems and enchants, you always have consumables, glyphs, and so on

3) Be polite but also friendly. Many people when trying to make a good impression, tend to hole themselves up and almost put a barrier around themselves, too scared that if they do or say anything they will step out of line. Don't talk while fights are being explained, don't spam guild chat or even trade chat, try be as helpful as possible to anyone in the guild. When talking to people in your guild try keep your sentences properly constructed with good grammar and punctuation. Keep a happy or cheerful tone (don't overdo it with smiley's though).

4) Let them know. Make sure that your superiors know that you appreciate the time they spent. When you go for an interview it's always good to send a follow up letter thanking them for their time. You can do the same thing in World of Warcraft. After each raid go and whisper all those who were involved in organizing the raid and thank them for their time, show them that you appreciate what they did. It's very hard to raid lead or guild lead when it seems that everyone takes your work for granted and don't appreciate what you do, even when you sacrifice many hours tailoring strategies to fit your guild / raid composition, sorting out problems and so on.

Ok so what about some more
    directly World of Warcraft related tips:

One of the biggest ways to get a good reputation or get promoted in a guild is by being well known. Yes sure some people are well known but its because they are pricks or cause drama. That only gives you a 1 way ticket out of the guild. What you want is to get your Guild Leader, officers and even fellow guild members to remember your name in a positive way.

1) Forums. The first thing you should do is you want to improve your reputation in your guild is become active on their forums (if they have one). Forums generally take a fair bit of effort to setup and there is often some very helpful information on them. One of the BEST ways to get yourself known is on the forums. It is so much easier to get yourself well-known on a forum than in-game because forums tend to have extended discussions. The guild leader or officers might visit the same threads 10-20 times a week if it's an active thread, and they will see you, your name and see you helping out / being active. It gives them a feeling of satisfaction that people are actually using the forums that they took the time to setup.

2) Knowledge. Something that will contribute a lot to getting your name well known is if you can be active and contribute in raids more than most members. Make sure you know the boss strategies of the bosses you are on as well as the ones coming up. Know them well and also try and find out alternative strategies. If your raid leader is struggling to explain a strategy then you can easily step in and help out or if he forgets something you can fill it in. If your guild is wiping over and over again because the particular strategy is just not working for your raid setup, then try something different. If you know of an alternative raid strategy that might work then let them know. With all that said, DON'T try to talk over the raid leader or contradict them. One of the most infuriating things for a raid leader when explaining strategies is for other people to be talking/typing, distracting others etc even if you are trying to help. If you have something to say then politely ask them if you may add something once they are finished speaking.

3) Code of Conduct. Most "good" guilds have a Code of Conduct which they expect their members to abide by, it helps keep their guilds reputation on the server up to standard and make them more likely to get recruits. Don't spam trade or give ANYONE outside or inside the guild any reason to reprimand you or any reason for them to want to talk to your guild officer / guild leader about you. (Believe me, if myself and many others see someone acting poorly like spamming trade, we make an effort to contact that persons guild leader or officer and tell them about it.)
    Don't swear or swear excessively in guild chat / other chars, don't scream / play music / say random things over Ventrillo and try stay away from drama. If you have a problem with someone then try talk to them privately. If that doesn't work ask your guild leader or a guild officer to mediate the problem between you two.

4) Preparation. There should never be any reason for your guild leader, officer or raid leader to have to reprimand you for not having consumables with you. Make sure you are online and ready at least half an hour before each raid. That way you are available to lend a hand with anything needed, can take part with discussion strategies before the raid and also have the time to make sure you actually are repaired, have consumables and have a stable Internet connection. If you notice anything wrong (such as unstable Internet connection) then you can notify your raid leader a good 10-20 minutes before the raid starts so that they can then replace you or they have time to find a replacement without delaying the raid.
    To me one of the things that makes me loose respect for players very quickly is if halfway through the raid a player suddenly needs to go repair or needs reagents, even though they have only died once or twice.

5) How to "apply" for officer/raid leader. I'm going to end with this because I have an unlimited list of things I could mention on this topic, and since I am very prone to creating walls of text so big that no one ever reads them, I will force myself to finish off here.
    In my past Guild Leading experience, if someone whispers me and says "Plz plz plzzzz can I be officer?!" or in general pesters me about them wanting to be promoted, they are immediately put on my "black list". Leadership is earned. However if you DO wish to become an officer or raid leader then there are several things that you can do to improve your chances of being chosen.

- First identify a specific need or want that is not being fullfilled sufficiently. If you notice that there isn't much guild advertising going on then take note of that. When the time comes for you to alert your guild leader that you would like to become an officer, you are able to point out what you can do to help improve the guild. Such as you can tell them you are willing to take up the responsibility of promoting the guild because you noticed that there isn't much promotion/advertisement going on.

- Show them that you have leadership qualities. Organize 5 mans (such as badge farming runs), organize PuG's (if allowed), organize PVP premades and other fun guild events. Show them that you are capable of leading people, you can work under pressure and that you always come through with your plans

- Check your guild forums to see if there is perhaps an officer recruitment thread that explains what is required of you.

- Lastly before applying to become an officer, make sure that your guild leader or other officers actually know you. Don't try and apply within 2 days of joining the guild. You need them to be able to vouch for you.

When you approach your guild leader, you should always have a plan. Just like Businesses create a business plan when approaching a bank for a loan or approaching an investor. Make sure you can show your guild leader that you have done good research, you fully understand what you are required to do, and that you can actually contribute/bring something new/or improve the guild.

[Guide] How to get or maintain a good reputation in your guild
    [the Sills]'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Detailed guide, good job

morten11's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice one!
    +3-5 rep, what ever i have xD

ßetray's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Unholy[S]haman View Post
    5) How to "apply" for officer/raid leader.
    However if you DO wish to become an officer or raid leader then there are several things that you can do to improve your chances of being chosen.

- First identify a specific need or want that is not being fullfilled sufficiently. If you notice that there isn't much guild advertising going on then take note of that. When the time comes for you to alert your guild leader that you would like to become an officer, you are able to point out what you can do to help improve the guild. Such as you can tell them you are willing to take up the responsibility of promoting the guild because you noticed that there isn't much promotion/advertisement going on.

Guild promotion is an easy step to take to becoming an officer. But it also requires a bit of time and organization. You need to know what your guild needs, discuss it with officers (over recruitment can be bad and you aren't an officer so you can't promise people things). Making a/several forum posts can greatly help out. The more you know about your guild, the better.

- Show them that you have leadership qualities. Organize 5 mans (such as badge farming runs), organize PuG's (if allowed), organize PVP premades and other fun guild events. Show them that you are capable of leading people, you can work under pressure and that you always come through with your plans
    This is how I started. I joined a top end guild on my server in BC and wound up going with them on their Gruul PuG runs (we sold gear). This was hosted by a general guildy and wound up giving other guildies assist. After awhile we moved up to SSC runs and was hosted by our GM. After a little bit, I talked to him and was given assist in his run (limited assist was given, not all guildies). I wound up leading these runs when our GM went AFK or didn't show up.
    This was the MAIN effort I gave that showed I had the ability to be an officer.

- Check your guild forums to see if there is perhaps an officer recruitment thread that explains what is required of you.
    Again, the more you know!

- Lastly before applying to become an officer, make sure that your guild leader or other officers actually know you. Don't try and apply within 2 days of joining the guild. You need them to be able to vouch for you.

When you approach your guild leader, you should always have a plan. Just like Businesses create a business plan when approaching a bank for a loan or approaching an investor. Make sure you can show your guild leader that you have done good research, you fully understand what you are required to do, and that you can actually contribute/bring something new/or improve the guild.
    Be confident in your abilities. Show your abilities before you seek an officer position. If your abilities have been recognized then that is a huge step. It's like being an intern before applying for a paid position: showing them what you can do can help you earn what you want.

Well written guide U[S]

ero-sennin's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guide! However, you might want to add that while you do should get to know as much as possible, do not try to get to personal or try to say that "I know everything about the game"... Because that's hard. Really, really hard.

And just be yourself. The best officer IMO can both be serious AND funny when needed.

Have a repcookie!

Jackie Moon's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie Moons Respect Guide:

1. Roll a DPS class, (Heal meters don't count for crap)(Tanks are too hard to gear)
    2. Buy flasks and then say "Noobs with no flask can't has loot imo"
    3. Top Damage Meters (Roll hunter, mage or lock)
    4. When people talk smack to you, challenge to duel.
    5. When you win, post in guild of your success.
    6. Get 2k+ arena and boast in Guild.
    7. Leave Guild, duel outside Orgrimmar (alliance is gay, you can't ever get respect)
    8. When you win spam trade with your success
    9. Rejoin Guild, when they duel stand up for them and duel the haters.
    10. Your guildies will want to be like you, and strive too beat you on meters.
    11. Raid and PvP all the time!
    12. ????? (You choose this step, make up a saying to spam trade)
    13. Profit!

Using this guide my Mage Torchic defeated the Guild Master of Adept (best guild on dreadmaul) in a duel and attained the spot of second best mage on server. In gear less than Adepts, i kept up with there dps and was wanted in many guilds. As having a pokemons name i had this saying "Torchic is Evolving!" and said that in trade when i logged on. Everyone would respond "Omg! Torchic is Evolving!" The day i beat Ryux (leader of adept) in a duel, we had atleast 300 spectators. I was crowned King of Dreadmaul. I had random supporters spamming trade "All hail lord Torchic" I was also the slayer of Daish, and he was forced to Change to Frostmourne as Alliance as his prime on dreadmaul had come to an end. I now am working on this Guide on Barthilas, currently at step 6, sitting at around 1800 on my druid.
    Last edited by Jackie Moon; 04-29-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Check out my YouTube: SkeetzGaming

dddsa1121's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big fellow.thx

Donderak's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good and well written guide, thanks.

PS. I don't really mind wall's of text, as long as the content is interesting and fun/usefull to read.

Unholyshaman's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice feedback ßetray thanks.

Jackie Moon my guide is built around people respecting you for who you are and how your hard work and effort benefits the guild.
    Your little mini-guide is more based on trying to earn a good reputation by being a good "pvper". That doesn't work for many guilds and you could be the absolutely best PVPer in the world but a total douche and idiot, it would get you no where.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Unholy[S]haman View Post
    Nice feedback ßetray thanks.

Jackie Moon my guide is built around people respecting you for who you are and how your hard work and effort benefits the guild.
    Your little mini-guide is more based on trying to earn a good reputation by being a good "pvper". That doesn't work for many guilds and you could be the absolutely best PVPer in the world but a total douche and idiot, it would get you no where.
    Hehe, I know
    Just a little story of how i got known on my server. I do have respect from the ones I help and my guildies, but the ones that aren't lets just say they don't do anything less than hate me.

PS: Your guild is great, I would treat myself in this mannerism if I PvE'd, but i'm a pvp whore (A Junky on Arena Junkies).

Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah true, I suppose combine the two and it's perfect

I'm also a Junking omgwtfbqq http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...najunkies.html haha no jokes I can't be arsed to follow it through because the only PvP I do is at level 70.

Alcapwned's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm, I'm afraid I'm getting owned by setting me up against the legends here, but this is pretty common sence imho = /

Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Alcapwned View Post
    Uhm, I'm afraid I'm getting owned by setting me up against the legends here, but this is pretty common sence imho = /

I beg to differ.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PvP 4 Life, probs why my toons gs in pve is like 4k and my pvp is like 5.5k haha

Alcapwned's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I mean is that most players knows how to interact with their guild. I did not mean that everyone does it.
    If it was me for example(new user) that posted this, I'll get pwned with "commons senses".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast