0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick guide to evaluating upgrades

So you've hit 80 and now you need to know where and how to get gear. This can differ greatly, depending on how you lvled (instances or quests). My paly was pretty much all quests with probably less than 5 instances ever run (pre dungeon finder), while the priest did instances from 50+.

I suggest going to Rawr Website and downloading Rawr. (Even at 70 you can start using this to start getting geared up.) These guys have put alot of time and knowledge into this great app. It will tell you the best upgrades for all your armor, based on your class and build. Whenever you run it, click on load from armory. Go ahead and download and install.

So go ahead and put in your character's name and server. It will import all your data. Next, lets turn off some filters. Goto filters at the top, and uncheck everything except Dungeons and Dungeons (Heroic). Again, if you leveled via quests, you may just want to do Dungeons. If you did do instances to lvl, you may have enough triumph badges, but I'd save them for later. If you have plenty of gold, you can also try crafted and maybe world drop. I spent about 2k gold to get my priest's gear good enough to run most heroics (still can't run Heroic HoR).

Ok, when you start, Rawr shows you only your head upgrades, which is fine. Near the upper middle of the screen, it says slot:gear Head. This lists all your upgrades and a rating on how much better your gear will be. It also breaks down that rating into different categories, depending on your character type. This is nice if you're really lacking in certain pieces of armor, like a lvl 69 ring or such. I prefer to use the direct upgrades screen. Goto Slot, go down to Direct upgrades. This list all the possible upgrades for all your gear, based on your filters. Again, depending on your lvling, and your filters, this could be a relatively short list, or a pretty long list. My priest had a really long list, until I bought a few crafted items, then it shortened up quite a bit. What's nice about this list is you can also export the list to excel. I did this and printed it out, removing the columns I found not important and kept basically, the name of the item, where it was found and what slot. A warning on this. If you're a new 80 tank/healer and want the best upgrade you can get, don't go after the top few pieces immediately. Not saying that some people couldn't do it, and this depends alot on the group as well. Work your way up. DPS usually don't have as big of a problem, but sometimes the group may kick you if you can't keep up decent dps. I suggest if you have a really long list, maybe turn of heroics and try to get some of the better gear from regulars first. Now you can do this two ways. Either queue up for random dungeons (since you need badges) or you can just farm specified dungeons. It's up to you, but I farmed the ones I needed.

Once you work your way through regular and heroic dungeons, it's time to hit the really good stuff, which usually takes more time than the others put together. Go back to your filters, and turn on special currency and maybe tier 7 and 8 raids. Now if you only farmed, you may not have the badges needed, so you can turn it off to keep the list shorter (usually 40-90 badges are needed for items from badges, so if you get enough, turn it back on and find your best upgrade). Depending on your server and your guild, you may be able to run these, and if you're lucky, your guild may drag you through (no such luck for me). Also, keep an eye on the weekly raid events, sometimes the group will run more. Once we had a good group in ICC for weekly, and we went and ran through 3 more bosses. But usually your weekly groups won't do this.

It also shows you what gems to put where. Right click on the item and goto add custom gemming.

For enchants, click on your item on the left, and it gives you a rating for each different enchant.

I hope you all enjoyed the guide.
    Last edited by allenflame; 04-23-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Quick guide to evaluating upgrades