[Engineering] Reasons to be, specialization guide, and essential creations (Part 1) menu

User Tag List

abhorsenjay's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Engineering] Reasons to be, specialization guide, and essential creations (Part 1)

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

So the other day I was talking to a guildie about professions and we came across the topic of engineering. He pointed out to me how engineering is a bit of a rip off considering half of our stuff only works half the time. Flabbergasted, I set out to prove him wrong. So the result ended up being FAR, FAR longer than I expected. So I'm going to break it into pieces. As a note on the materials, I believe that all my math is right. If it’s not please let me know and I will fix it ASAP. This first piece will talk about why you should be an engineer, and a specialization guide. My next pieces will discuss the must-have creations of engineering, and I will guide you through how to create each one

Why should you be an engineer?

1. Mainly? Cool stuff. You get cool stuff. LOTS of cool stuff
    2. Also you can make ammo, bullets, arrows, you name it. If you’re lucky, your server economy might be just right to buy the mats and sell the craft for a profit
    3. You can farm motes. Not many people still farm BC motes and eternal fires are always in demand even since the latest patch

After cruising though the internet for a while, I have amassed a list of what you should have if you are an Engineer. Hopefully this will convince some people that Engineering is a somewhat worthy profession.

Requirements:

-450 Engineering
    - Some spare gold
    - Some spare time

I will NOT go over how get Jeeves and the miscellaneous repair bots, however, for that you can refer to my previous guide:

http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...forge-key.html

For the moment, I will not be covering guns and scopes. However if this turns out to be popular I may expand with those and some more. I will also NOT be covering pets, engineering pets will be my next guide (nobody take my idea ^^)

INDEX (Preview)

FIRST: Goblin Engineering vs. Gnomish Engineering
    SECOND: How to become a Goblin Engineer
    THIRD: How to become a Gnomish Engineer
    FOURTH – Stuffs:

. a) Cloaking Device
    . b) Rocket Boots (actual boots + tinker)
    . c) Mind Control Cap
    . d) Deepdive Helm
    . e) Shrink Ray
    . f) Zapthrottle Mote Extractor
    . g) Portable Mailbox
    . h) Portable Wormhole
    . i) Gnomish Army Knife
    . j) Jumper cables
    . k) Mounts
    . l) Parachute
    . m) Gnomish Poultryizer.
    . n) Seaforium Charges
    . o) Gnomish Death Ray
    . p) Nigh Invulnerability Belt
    . q) Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector
    . r) Gnomish Battle Chicken
    . s) Ultrasafe Transporter: Gadgetzan
    . t) Goblin Rocket Helmet
    . u) Sonic Booster
    . v) Noise Machine
    . w) World Enlarger
    . x) Gnomish Harm Prevention Belt
    . z) Motorbike (chopper)

FIFTH – Ammo:
    . a) Shatter Rounds
    . b) Iceblade Arrows
    . c) Saronite Razorheads

SIXTH – Final Notes

I don’t have too much for goblin engineers here, they mainly just make things go boom. Well then, let’s get started. (I think you can already see why I chose not to include some stuff)

FIRST: Goblin Engineering vs. Gnomish Engineering

Engineering, similar to Tailoring, Blacksmithing, and Alchemy, has the option of specializing in a specific filed. Once you reach skill 200, you have the option to specialize in Gnomish Engineering or Goblin Engineering. The main difference between them being the ability of their trinkets, kinds of ammunition you can produce, and various bombs.

Gnomish Engineering produces mainly nifty trinkets and gadgets that are both functional (at least most of the time) and useful. These include the Gnomish Shrink Ray, a teleporter to Gadgetzan, and a Gnomish Battle Chicken, amongst others.

Goblin Engineering is geared towards someone who wants more “bang for their buck”. Chief items include a teleporter to Everlook, and large bombs.

Personally, I would recommend Gnomish Engineering. This is mainly because you get lots of fun toys. I have not seen Goblin Engineering widely used since the advent of heirloom gear and the random dungeon system. Explosives don’t seem to sell well or be used for much (at least on my server). Both specializations can produce epic ammunition at 450 (more on this later), so you are not really missing out unless you were interested in the helmets.

Since patch 3.2.0, Gnomish Engineers and Goblin Engineers can now switch profession specializations for a fee. You can now switch specializations by visiting Narain Soothfancy in north east Tanaris. The book on the table in his hut will allow you to switch specializations for a fee of 150g. Let’s keep rolling here

SECOND: Gnomish Engineering

At level 30 and 200 skill, you may choose Gnomish Engineering. The trinkets included in the advantages listed above are ideal for leveling. One such trinket is the Gnomish Harm Prevention Belt (elaborated upon further on). In order to get Gnomish Engineering you must first get a referral from an engineering trainer. You will get the quest:

Gnome Engineering

Depending on your faction, after receiving this quest you are sent either to Tinkmaster Overspark, located in Tinker Town in Ironforge

MAP:

Pic of the guy:

Or Oglethorpe Obnoticus, located in Booty Bay in Stranglethorn Vale

MAP:

Pic of the guy:

They will both ask you (anyone else find these names slightly erotic? No just me? Alright carrying on...) to sign a pledge of secrecy and give you this quest:

The Pledge of Secrecy

After you complete this they will ask you to “show examples of your work”:

Show Your Work

In order to complete the quest you will need:

6 Mithril Tube
    =Mats for this:
    =18 Mithril Bar

2 Advanced Target Dummy
    =Mats for this:
    =8 Heavy Leather
    =2 Bronze Framework
    ==Mats for this:
    ==4 Bronze Bar
    ==2 Medium Leather
    ==2 Wool Cloth
    =2 Gyrochronatom
    ==Mats for this:
    ==2 Iron Bar
    ==2 Gold Power Core
    ===Mats for this:
    ===1 Gold Bar
    =2 Iron Strut
    ==Mats for this:
    ==4 Iron Bar

1 Accurate Scope
    Schematic sold by Mazk Snipeshot at Booty Bay in Stranglethorn Vale for 20 silver
    Mats for this:
    =1 Bronze tube
    ==Mats for this:
    ==2 Bronze Bar
    ==1 Weak Flux
    =1 Dark Jade
    =1 Citrine

You need a Gyromatic Micro-Adjustor to make the scope, for that you will need:
    4 Steel Bar

Return to your respective quest giver. After you turn in the quest you are given a new ability called Gnomish Engineer which can be found in your spell book. You can click on it and it will open up another Engineering Dialog, with this you can train the “gnome engineer only” engineering recipes. You can also link this skill in chat. Congratulations!

THIRD: Goblin Engineering

Should you choose Goblin Engineering; you still need level 30 and 200 skill in engineering. Goblin Bomb dispensers and Goblin Bombs might prove useful while leveling. If anyone sees any other major advantages to Goblin Engineering let me know and I shall rectify this. Just like Gnomish Engineering, to become a Goblin Engineer you must get a referral from your engineering trainer. They will give you the quest:

Goblin Engineering

After you receive this you are sent to Nixx Sprocketspring in Gadgetzan, Tanaris

MAP:

Pic of the guy

He will hand you a pledge, you must sign and return it:

The Pledge of Secrecy

Once again, you will be asked to show examples of your work: Show Your Work, You will need

20 Big Iron Bomb
    =Mats for this:
    =40 Heavy Blasting Powder
    ==Mats for this:
    ==40 Heavy Stone
    =30 Iron Bar
    =10 Silver Contact
    ==Mats for this:
    ==2 Silver Bar

20 Solid Dynamite
    =Mats for this:
    =20 Solid Blasting Powder
    ==Mats for this:
    ==20 Solid Stone
    =10 Silk Cloth

5 Explosive Sheep
    =Mats for this:
    =5 Bronze Framework
    ==Mats for this:
    ==10 Bronze Bar
    ==5 Medium Leather
    ==5 Wool Cloth
    =5 Whirring Bronze Gizmo
    ==Mats for this:
    ==10 Bronze Bar
    ==5 Wool Cloth
    =10 Heavy Blasting Powder
    ==Mats for this:
    ==10 Heavy Stone
    =10 Wool Cloth

Return to your quest giver and you are issued with your [URL]Goblin Engineering, which, just like Gnomish Engineering, can be found in your spellbook and gives you access to Goblin Engineering schematics. It too can be linked in chat. Congratulations!

Index:
    Part 1: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...-part-1-a.html
    Part 2: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...-part-2-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...-part-3-a.html
    Last edited by abhorsenjay; 04-12-2010 at 11:20 PM.
    Backups? We don't *NEED* no steenking baX%^~,VbKx NO CARRIER

[Engineering] Reasons to be, specialization guide, and essential creations (Part 1)
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By shortly I mean a few days, it will take a little while ^^

Royst0's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice guide, may i ask which of the following specialzations are best for PvP.
    Proud HonorBuddy User. Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Royst0 View Post
    Very nice guide, may i ask which of the following specialzations are best for PvP.

If you want your engineering to benefit you most in PvP, go Goblin.

Goblin Rocket Helm

Go gnome if you want to do the "cool" things like shrink the world, etc etc.

Most of the items you'd want for pvp though can be used by either Gnome or Goblin

Intioto's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the thread! I've slowly started turning all my toons to engineers for a reason. It is by far the most fun profession out there, and is surprisingly good at making gold.

Lexodia's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    christ... I'm not going to use this guide at all, but hell I'll rep you for the sheer amount of EFFORT in this thing
    hope to see similar results from you :3

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Lexodia View Post
    christ... I'm not going to use this guide at all, but hell I'll rep you for the sheer amount of EFFORT in this thing
    hope to see similar results from you :3
    Thanks ^^, yeah like I said this ended up taking way more time than I originally anticipated, but I'd hope somebody would be able to use it in helping them decide on a profession

pewpewxx's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Thread