0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Alchemy] A COMPLETE Specialization Guide

So you've been perusing mmowned for a while now and have probably figured out that Alchemy is a pretty sweet means of making gold. So you went out, farmed your butt off, and now you are at skill 325. Congratulations, I hope you feel fulfilled. But now, you have a choice. This choice could very well alter the course of your reality as you know it, the ramifications of this decision could prove to be far beyond the scope of your tiny brain. So in order to help your pitifully minuscule thought capacity, I'm going to lay it all out for you. Once again all the materials have already been totaled, no need to multiply, just buy and create. Remember you can only have ONE specialization

At skill 325, and at level 68, you may learn one of three Alchemy specializations.

Potion Master
    Elixir Master
    Transmutation Master

Being specialized means that when you create something, you have a chance to create an extra 1-4 of that item. As the names would indicate, a Potion Master might produce extra potions, an Elixir Master might produce extra Elixirs, and a Transmutation Master may produce extra transmutations (gems and the like).

This ability procs between 10-25% of the time. In lay-mans terms, for every 4 things you make, it is likely that you will proc at least 1 extra. Here is where getting gold becomes pretty sweet. If the materials for a flask sell for as much as the flask, then when you create the flasks, any extras will be pure profit. In some cases, if you make things for other people, they might let you keep the extras. Gold for doing absolutely nothing, right after women and drugs I'd say gold for nothing ranks right up there amongst my favorite things.

By now I'm sure you're foaming from the mouth at the prospect of all this gold waiting for you, and you're thinking "umg how can i git dis gold plox mister abhorsenjay!1!1!1!!11??11". Settle down you silly child I shall guide you through this.

(Optional) LEAD-IN QUEST

There is an optional lead-in quest that you can grab for whatever convoluted reason you'd want to.

Alliance

Alchemist Gribble in Honor Hold

Horde

Apothecary Antonivich in Thrallmar

Both of these essentially useless NPCs will give you:

Master of Elixirs
    Master of Potions
    Master of Transmutations

these are messenger quests, they send you off to other NPCs who are apparently more capable of teaching you your specialization

MASTER OF ELIXIRS

Should you decide to choose Master of Elixirs, make your way to Lorokeem in Shattrath City. He is located to the right of Aldor Rise, in a treehouse-style building. Talk to him and he will give you:

Master of Elixirs

To complete this quest you will need:

5 Elixir of Major Defense
    The recipe for this is sold by Daga Ramba in Blade's Edge Mountains and Haalrun in Zangarmarsh for 5 gold
    mats for this:

15 Ancient Lichen
    5 Terocone
    5 Imbued Vial

5 Elixir of Mastery
    mats for this:
    5 Terocone
    5 Felweed
    5 Imbued Vial

5 Elixir of Major Agility

The recipe for this is sold by Logistics Officer Urike in Honor Hold and Quartermaster Urgronn in Thrallmar
    mats for this:

5 Terocone
    10 Felweed
    5 Imbued Vial

10 Essence of Infinity

Now these suckers are probably the most annoying to get. They are dropped by the Rift Keepers and Rift Lords of The Black Morass. The drop rate is about 7%, so you'll get 1 in about every 10 kills. So you'll need to kill a lot. They're level 71 Elites, a decent geared 80 *might* be able to solo it, but you might want to group with a guildie. The Black Morass is located in eastern Tanaris in the Caverns of Time. To enter The Black Morass you must have completed Caverns of Time: Escape from Durnholde Keep in Old Hillsbrad Foothills and the corresponding quest series, starting with Old Hillsbrad. (I won't cover that in *this* guide but if you click those hyperlinks it will show you how)

Map:

Here is what they look like, not my pic:

Now that you have everything go back to Lorokeem in Shattrath City. Turn in the quest. Congrats, you are now an Elixir Master.

MASTER OF POTIONS

To become a Master of Potions you must first pass a most heinous and difficult test. You must bring to me, a SHRUBBERY! It shall be no less that four feet in height and it must be able to play yakety sax on queue. How you may ask? Fie! I cannot tell you! This is a test!

Actually no, I was banned from owning any shrubberies after Hiroshima in 1944. To become a Master of Potions make your way to Lauranna Thar'well in Zangarmarsh. She will give you:

Master of Potions

For this quest you will need:

5 Major Dreamless Sleep Potion
    The recipe for this is sold by Daga Ramba in Blade's Edge Mountains and Leeli Longhaggle in Terokkar Forest for 5 gold
    mats for this:

5 Dreaming Glory
    5 Nightmare Vine
    5 Imbued Vial

5 Super Mana Potion
    The recipe for this is sold by Daga Ramba in Blade's Edge Mountains and Haalrun in Zangarmarsh for 5 gold
    mats for this:

10 Dreaming Glory
    5 Felweed
    5 Imbued Vial

5 Super Healing Potion
    mats for this:
    10 Netherbloom
    5 Felweed
    5 Imbued Vial

Botanist's Field Guide

This is dropped by High Botanist Freywinn in The Botanica in Tempest Keep, Netherstorm. He is a level 71-72 elite. Nothing too much to worry about, once engaged she spawns a small Seedling every few seconds. They have low health and you need to kill them. Every now and then he turns into a treant and spawns three Fraver Protectors. He starts channelling Tranquilty which heals him and the Protectors (zomgz OP drood heals wtf FTL qq). You need to kill the Protectors to be able to damage Freywinn again. The Protectors use a Shoot Thorns attack that hits for 800-1000 to anyone not in melee range. The strategy is to move them around the corner out of range of tranquility to kill them.

Pic of the guy:

Map

Return to Lauranna Thar'well in Zangarmarsh. Congrats you are now a Potion Master

MASTER OF TRANSMUTATION

Choosing Master of Transmutation is a bit of a sacrifice. You can only transmute 1 epic gem per day, however, if you proc extra gems the profit is very large. Make your way to Zarevhi at the Stormspire in Netherstorm. He will give you:

Master of Transmutation

To complete this quest you need:

4 Primal Might

Recipe for this sold by Altaa in The Exodar, Melaris in Silvermoon City, and Skreah in Shattrath City for 8 gold
    mats for this:

4 Primal Earth
    4 Primal Water
    4 Primal Air
    4 Primal Fire
    4 Primal Mana

These guys are relatively easy to farm
    You can get Primal Water, Air, Fire, and Earth, from the Elemental Plateau in Nagrand. Just kill all the elementals.

Map

You can get Primal Mana and Primal Fire from Angered Nether-Wraiths and the mobs that surround them in Netherstorm

Map

Return to Zarevhi at the Stormspire in Netherstorm. Congrats! You are now Transmutation Master, now we just need to work on your body odor and you are well on your way to becoming somewhat likeable!

Final Notes: It might be easier to get primal mights on your server than run through botanica and grab all those pots. If that is the case, complete the transmutation mastery quest, then unlearn the skill for 150g. After this you can go to the other npc quest givers and learn the specialization for free without a quest.

Cheers!

Last edited by abhorsenjay; 04-05-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: fixed some links
    Backups? We don't *NEED* no steenking baX%^~,VbKx NO CARRIER

[Alchemy] A COMPLETE Specialization Guide
    Mc-fly's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that guide is really epic
    THX!

Reflection's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice guide. Especially as I'm just leveling alchemy at this very instance.

May I ask though, which specialization do you reckon is the most profitable? I'm thinking transmutation (I'm casual so easy money in as little time as possible is preferred). But which specialization is the best for flasks? Elixir?

+6

Freelance Digital Artist
    https://reflectionartwork.deviantart.com
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

abhorsenjay's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually just hit 450 myself it's difficult so say. For a long time elixir mastery was the norm, however with that latest patch everyone is trying to be an elixir master and it's difficult to get stuff to sell. I'm going to try out transmutation master and post an update, I also have a JC toon so this works nicely. Pots are not super great, better if you actually farm the mats and proc extras. As far as instant-profit goes transmutation for sure.

Glad you liked it ^^
    Backups? We don't *NEED* no steenking baX%^~,VbKx NO CARRIER

Viral Fly-by's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    Very nice guide. Especially as I'm just leveling alchemy at this very instance.

May I ask though, which specialization do you reckon is the most profitable? I'm thinking transmutation (I'm casual so easy money in as little time as possible is preferred). But which specialization is the best for flasks? Elixir?

+6

IMO there are only two choices....elixir (to proc extra flasks) or xmute (to proc extra epic gems). Elixir is better for churning (getting lots of mats and selling lots of flasks). Xmute is better for alt/casual because you only do 1 a day.

If you're a big seller though, don't forget that Xmute specialization does apply to transmute metagems (good if the meta market on your realm isn't totally flooded) and also to transmuting titanium bars from saronite bars (a good way to get titanium bars since titanium ore is so expensive and most likely more valuable prospected again depending on your realm's economy).

Potion spec is probably only good if you happen to be the only person on your realm selling things like Potion of Speed and Potion of Wild Magic...there just tends not to be enough movement to be profitable with pot spec not to mention either elixir or xmute are more valuable personally (imo).
    ViralFly-by

pissoff404's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good guide. as far as which is most profitable, i'd say elixir, and btw i was able to solo BM (up until the final boss) as a 3k gs feral druid.

the reason for elixir being more profitable is because there is a 20hr cooldown on all xmutes, leaving you out of luck if your mastery didnt proc any extras. the amount of procs that i recieve from my elixirs is amazing. i.e., the other day i got the matts to make 5 flasks of the frost wyrm and i ended up getting a series of procs, one of which was x8 and finishing with 22 flasks. i'd definitly recommend going elixir as it can proc elixirs or flasks and there is no cd.

uskel's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the guide.

Cheat'R's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Viral Fly-by View Post
    IMO there are only two choices....elixir (to proc extra flasks) or xmute (to proc extra epic gems). Elixir is better for churning (getting lots of mats and selling lots of flasks). Xmute is better for alt/casual because you only do 1 a day.
    I must disagree. I was Xmute Mastery, and it definitely was not casual. I have made over 10,000 gold transmuting Titanium Bars with that, and since I switched to Elixir Mastery, I do believe Xmute Mastery is VERY profitable.

Originally Posted by pissoff404 View Post
    good guide. as far as which is most profitable, i'd say elixir, and btw i was able to solo BM (up until the final boss) as a 3k gs feral druid.

the reason for elixir being more profitable is because there is a 20hr cooldown on all xmutes, leaving you out of luck if your mastery didnt proc any extras. the amount of procs that i recieve from my elixirs is amazing. i.e., the other day i got the matts to make 5 flasks of the frost wyrm and i ended up getting a series of procs, one of which was x8 and finishing with 22 flasks. i'd definitly recommend going elixir as it can proc elixirs or flasks and there is no cd.
    No, not all xmutes have a 20 hr. cooldown. Titanium, arcanite, and meta gems have no cooldown.
    Last edited by Cheat'R; 04-08-2010 at 05:36 PM.