246/138
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disable rep for thanks in Contests section

I've noticed I've gotten some rep several times just for posting in a giveaway thread..

Seems kinda.. cheating..

I guess sure hey I'm active on the site & participating.. but the thanks (r) is adequate imho

Enough time goes by people could gain rank just by enough random giveaway thanks..

Disable rep for thanks in Contests section
    Annaisha's Avatar ★ Elder ★ ★★★★★

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    739/685
    Trade Feedback
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all respect, Jaladhjin, but I strongly disagree with your philosophy.

I'll speak for my own giveaways.

My reason for giveaways are no for the rep or thank you, I've put them up to keep a monthly contest running that keeps community members coming back and feeling excited. Everybody can win, always, no matter the count of your post (Funnily enough I drew myself as the first place winner by a random number generator, damn it being my own competition).

I also do those giveaways out of goodwill, I like to make people happy, and my satisfaction comes from getting spammed by "thank you so much" and arranging delivery. People randomly send me photos taken of the package and the item, which frankly, I already had seen before -- I made and shipped the packages.

As for the "Thanks" button, receiving a things gives you 1 CoreCoins and 1 Reputation. If you take a look at my giveaways, do you really think I'm doing it for the "Thanks Reputation"? I get between 10 and 30 thanks a month, for items worth over €200,-.

If I were really to hunt ranks, I'd not spend money on contests, I'd buy people to give me random reputation at discretion. That would be a much more effective wat to level up the ranks. And last, what do ranks still mean, other than the name color?

My contests are out of goodwill. Nobody is obligated to hit the thanks buttons, and out of the hundreds of people who participate not even 20% is giving thanks. I matters not, because if people give thanks, it means they are truly thankful for the goodwill behind the giveaways. If they do not give thanks, they are still as much respected and eligible as people who did give thanks.

May I also add that I have little to no knowledge, and that contests and helping people out to my own knowledge are the only areas I can actually be active in?

Your suggestion may be considered, and I'm sure there are people doing it for the bit of reputation, but -for example- look at my rank. I am gonna need about 300 "Thanks" to reach a next rank. Do you really think that's gonna happen any time soon? As I said before, if it was all about ranks, there will be faster, easier, more effective and less expensive ways, while still getting away with it if you pay for discretion.

Actually, while I'll be holding my monthly contests for as long as I'm here, removing the "Thanks" function maybe cause other members to not post new contests.

Can I ask if you've given anything away yet?

I'd be totally fine with the removal of Thanks from the contest section, it wont change my goodwill. But its an unnecessary suggestion, as you may as well remove Reputation as well then. Did you know that back in the early days, Reputation could be given for EVERYTHING? Even ordinary trades were given feedback. Many of today's high ranked members have gotten a massive advantage of that, without really doing anything.

I'm perfectly fine with how the system works now:

Thanks if users appreciate your post or concept
    Reputation i users find out about something brilliant that they didn't know before, or by posting useful stuff.
    Trade Feedback for the Trade Section, this is what prevented people from gaining reputations from Trades, and high rep didn't always mean you were not a shady figure. I like it how it's all nicely split up now.

You may disagree, and that's perfectly fine. No everybody needs to have the same opinion. If we had, forums would lose their value and interest as well.

If you would like to participate in my contest, click the link in my signature. Nothing is held against you, neither do you have to press the Thanks button. Thanks does not increase your chances. I'd agree with your whole point if the contest OP would REQUIRE thanks to be given to participate. I haven't read too deep into the terms of use, but I'm pretty sure it's not even permitted to ask for thanks, nor reputations.

3. Thanks Ashoran, oxytech, hackerlol (3 members gave Thanks to Annaisha for this useful post)
    Jaladhjin's Avatar Contributor Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    246/138
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah for sure I understand your position.. but you thinking that tells me I don't think I was clear enough on my criticism then ;-)

I'm not suggesting you or anyone doing giveaways is cheating the system.. abusing anything or person.. & I'm sorry you thought that..

Quite the opposite.. I feel bad getting rep from your thanks for my participation.. Having not really done much to earn that rep other than posting something in a giveaway thread..

Having giveaways is great.. you deserve all the thanks you get.. everyone does.. that's a contribution to the community for sure.. & at your own time & expense for the goods you offer..

I'm just thinking enough random users posting in enough random threads getting rep over long periods of time will reach relatively high ranks having contributed nothing..

5. Thanks Ashoran, hackerlol (2 members gave Thanks to Jaladhjin for this useful post)
    Dovah's Avatar Legendary The Explorer

Thanks G/R
    381/202
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jaladhjin View Post
    Oh yeah for sure I understand your position.. but you thinking that tells me I don't think I was clear enough on my criticism then ;-)

I'm not suggesting you or anyone doing giveaways is cheating the system.. abusing anything or person.. & I'm sorry you thought that..

Quite the opposite.. I feel bad getting rep from your thanks for my participation.. Having not really done much to earn that rep other than posting something in a giveaway thread..

Having giveaways is great.. you deserve all the thanks you get.. everyone does.. that's a contribution to the community for sure.. & at your own time & expense for the goods you offer..

I'm just thinking enough random users posting in enough random threads getting rep over long periods of time will reach relatively high ranks having contributed nothing..
    I agree.. Perhaps allow only the creator of the thread to receive thanks in contests?

I rarely check Ownedcore nowadays. Need to contact me? Message me on Discord: dovvah

Thanks G/R
    246/138
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jessy.Boosting View Post
    Words
    I'm a little concerned now.. just a little.. that you haven't said anything else.. mebbe my own fault for not quoting you for a notification but.. I wasn't trying to take any shots at you.. quite the opposite ;-)

Eryx's Avatar Former Staff ✲ B26354 ✲ CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    574/277
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. We'll take this into consideration, we're satisfied about how rep/thanks system works at the moment, but thanks for letting us know what you think about it!

hackerlol's Avatar Admin(kind of) ShoutBox Dweller
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1180/297
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jaladhjin View Post
    I've noticed I've gotten some rep several times just for posting in a giveaway thread..

Seems kinda.. cheating..

I guess sure hey I'm active on the site & participating.. but the thanks (r) is adequate imho

Enough time goes by people could gain rank just by enough random giveaway thanks..
    Disabling the Thank system, which to begin with was made with rep spreading in mind, is not the solution.
    A more rational solution would be to disable the thank system in certain sub-forums.

gippy's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    293/139
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, they are actually contributing to the site by hosting these giveaways. Without their generousity, there would be no contests. As has already been pointed out, you cant force somebody to click the thanks button and there no benefit to doing so in that section, other than to say thanks for the contest.

The only realy problem would be if we started seeing fake contests with the intention to farm rep, but i'd guess these would be closed down and dealt with quite quickly.

11. Thanks Annaisha (1 members gave Thanks to gippy for this useful post)
    Thanks G/R
    246/138
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by gippy View Post
    The thing is, they are actually contributing to the site by hosting these giveaways. Without their generousity, there would be no contests. As has already been pointed out, you cant force somebody to click the thanks button and there no benefit to doing so in that section, other than to say thanks for the contest.

The only realy problem would be if we started seeing fake contests with the intention to farm rep, but i'd guess these would be closed down and dealt with quite quickly.
    I don't think you understood my position.. I'm not criticizing that people doing Giveaways are abusing the system.. Quite the latter..I have 2 other posts explaining ;-)

Originally Posted by Eryxon View Post
    Thanks for the input. We'll take this into consideration, we're satisfied about how rep/thanks system works at the moment, but thanks for letting us know what you think about it!
    They seem to contradict one another.. but I understand ;-) Thank you for the affirmation..
    Last edited by Jaladhjin; 10-09-2016 at 04:38 PM.

DiamondStarFall's Avatar Trade Moderator All Time Fav Trader! xD
    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    72/157
    Trade Feedback
    213 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i think the thing to look out for is fake accounts spamming thanks/rep farming if worse come to worse, ya may consider limiting each person to 1 contest thread tat can be edited if they decides to offer something new. usually most pp only thanks on the first post so there should be a reduction in the amount of thanks being given by repeated users.

of coz giveaways/contests r always appreciated =) can consider setting some requirements for it or stating tat new accounts created after the giveaways/contests thread would not be eligible to participate to combat wif the clone accounts issues. just my 2 cents ~
    ╬Ways of Contact╬
    Skype: Diamondstarfall safe to trade! Always request a pm!
    I DO NOT use KIK or Line. they r imposters!
    Trading Awareness![How to minimize the risks of being scammed!]

14. Thanks hackerlol (1 members gave Thanks to DiamondStarFall for this useful post)
    Annaisha's Avatar ★ Elder ★ ★★★★★

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    739/685
    Trade Feedback
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by gippy View Post

I very much agree. If it comes to a point where the generousity of the poster gets punished; or so it would feel like, then what encouragement would there be to continue contests? I do them out of goodwill, trust me, the amount of thanks I get per month for my contests is not worth the money, I could use that mind and get the rep in a shady way, if I wanted to.

I also think I'm the only person who's holding recurring giveaways, which is my own choice, but please bear in mind that all prizes I give away are brand new, and cost me money too. I'm not just grabbing something out of "unused stuff" box.

I do appreciate the couple of Thanks, but spending 100-200 Euros every month for the couple of thanks I do get, would not be worth it, so it;s not my incentive for holding them.

I just think a forum is a better place if you can win something every month. It will also draw people to the forums, and make them coming back, even if it was just for the chance to get something for free.

The best moment of the month is always when I print the winners their addresses, get the prizes boxed and shipped out. People send me picture of how they receive it, even of the the bow - while I did see the box before, because I made it, lol.

Making other people happy is what I'm doing it for, the Thanks is bonus, if I would need to rely on thanks for a new rank I can hold contests for an entire year, which would cost me anywhere between 1200 to 2400 euros, or even more. Is that worth it? I don't think so.

Some people just have a good heart and like to keep others excited and, while I would like to make everyone happy, I just can't. So I decided to make 2 people happy per month, and make it a recurring thing, so people ALWAYS can come back for new chances.

Thanks G/R
    246/138
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jessy.Boosting View Post
    More Words
    It's a little unnerving to my personal preference you still haven't confirmed you understand my clarification..

No shots taken at you or anyone for posting giveaways.. the thanks are well deserved..

Quite the opposite & I feel bad for getting the rep from you.. just for posting in your thread ;-)

Don't really feel like I've earned it just for that..

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    349/296
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we're satisfied about how rep/thanks system works at the moment, including giveaways section. So we will deny this change, but thank you for your valued input
    /closed