Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should work on the face, it looks very off to me.

Also, not that it's a big deal, but the lightsaber is not completely straight.

orangepig's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hah, whats so off about it?

Sneakylemons's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only things I'd fix are the brightness of the mouth area (needs to be a tad lighter, doesn't look like it belongs to the face) and the pupil placement, the left eye isn't looking at the man, he is looking toward what would be the camera I guess. Should make it seem like he is actually staring into the eyes of the guy he is about to kill, would add effect. The whole lightsaber straightness thing kind of annoys me too, iunno. Should make it all one straight line. The painting in the other areas is very nicely done though, good work.
    I WAS DRILL ROLLED BY GZ. AND I LOVED IT.

Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    265/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a fat sith D:

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the comments, the saber might be a tiny bit off and the area around the mouth maybe should be a little brighter. But he is not certainly not fat and he is looking at the jedi as much as possible, (maybe the scarred right eye creates a feeling of the sith looking to the "camera"). Also you guys might be missing the point of my thread, I'm not really looking for tiny faults, I would prefer some critique on the composition as a whole etc..

Serpious's Avatar Contributor CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by orangepig View Post
    I appreciate the comments, the saber might be a tiny bit off and the area around the mouth maybe should be a little brighter. But he is not certainly not fat and he is looking at the jedi as much as possible, (maybe the scarred right eye creates a feeling of the sith looking to the "camera"). Also you guys might be missing the point of my thread, I'm not really looking for tiny faults, I would prefer some critique on the composition as a whole etc..
    In my opinion you are not making use of all the space in the picture, you should include more things in the background, like a planet exploding or some kind of space fight, do not make it draw attention to itself, but make your characters stand out more. A simple thing like making a planet explode in the background would make the shadows cast entirely different and would make the sith look more evil.

Sneakylemons's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iunno, I guess. Just doesn't really look like he is looking at him to me, don't know what it is. But overall it is definitely your best piece out of the SOTDs in my opinion. The lighting is nicely done, and I don't know what Confucious was talking about with the fat thing haha, looks fine to me.
    I WAS DRILL ROLLED BY GZ. AND I LOVED IT.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 0x0 View Post
    In my opinion you are not making use of all the space in the picture, you should include more things in the background, like a planet exploding or some kind of space fight, do not make it draw attention to itself, but make your characters stand out more. A simple thing like making a planet explode in the background would make the shadows cast entirely different and would make the sith look more evil.
    Thats more like it, however I fear that the piece might become to messy, but thanks - I'll try around little

Reflection's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree with 0x0. The piece is not interesting enough on its own, I would like to see something more.

The face seems awkwardly tilted in comparison to the hood. The hood would be tilted and stretched to make up for the tilted head, but currently it is not. As for the proportions there's something off with his right arm. It seems to be too short. The arm looks to be positioned to give the appearance that the arm is behind the person, while the body is almost completely turned towards the point of view. His left arm is proportionally perfect but the other arm is basically a mess. Try holding your own arm as your main character does; it's impossible. You either need to turn your torso or stretch your arm outwards.

Regarding the composition itself: While the fight is very nice, it would look much more appealing if you followed the golden ratio. By that I mean that you should consider increasing the width of the image so that the main focus is roughly at the two thirds mark. By doing this you would not only increase the actual action inside the image but also provide more space for other interest points which in turn would again increase the impressiveness of the main focus. The end result is much more interesting to look at. Something like this:
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I am not really bothered by the straightness of the lightsaber. Since you're calling it a sketch (although it really looks like a finished painting and not a speedpainting per se) that kinda helps to sell the image. Sloppiness is sometimes a part of the appeal to sketches. Although I agree that it would be better if it was straight, it really doesn't do much to the overall effect of the painting.

I'm not really sure what the thing in the background is - is it a ship? I'm not the biggest expert when it comes to Star Wars. A space battle and some explosions that isn't too much in focus, as 0x0 said, would help immensely to spice up the viewer interest. Definitely a good painting though, but just a bit boring to look at. Well done!

As far as your whole sketch series goes, I definitely agree that this is your best complete painting. Though I'm in love with the sketch of day two. As I said on your deviant art page, I would love to see it in portrait form. I'm not sure about the color choice - a darker green almost gray would look better in my opinion.

It is interesting to see how your abilities increase every day and I've watched you on DeviantArt to be able to see what you've got cooking up every day! Have you considered some landscape painting instead of character paintings? I find those much more interesting and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does

Freelance Digital Artist
    https://reflectionartwork.deviantart.com
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for putting time in to writing this excellent critique, I really appreciate it
    I'm trying to limit every piece to one day so the time spent on every piece will depend on how busy / inspired I am. Also,
    Thanks for the watch, i'm actually working on a landscape painting atm