0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Theory for Razer unique crystal color

For those who don't know Razer(gaming hardware) is offering a free green/black crystal with purchase of their product.
    http://www.razerzone.com/swtor
    When I looked into it, it seems that they have a code embedded into the hardware itself that verifies you have the hardware.(if you are confused with what I'm talknig about, stop reading this, and look over the site I linked, it explains most questions. Also for more info scroll down on the site to the green crystal icon and press the "here" text to further understand). What I'm wondering is, Is there anyway to trick the Razer Synapse 2.0 to think you have the software itself? This would save us all around $140 for a incredibly unique item that would turn heads.

Well that's my theory, probably too advanced for most people to do anyway. But yeah, good idea... eh?

Please Move this to the correct thread if this isn't the right one.

Interesting Theory for Razer unique crystal color
    shadowsx's Avatar Bawx Lurker CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Had the same idea but not sure how to go about it, I don't think it would be all to hard.

compaker's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would just trick the OS into thinking you had the device by reverse engineering the driver for the mouse or whatever. However, I don't know much about Synapse 2.0, and it could go off of product keys and accounts.

spikey_paul's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that synapse itself detects and installs the driver for whatever razer hardware you have plugged into the machine, So what you would have to do is somehow fake you had of these products plugged in somehow, Though i'm not sure how someone would go about this, maybe by getting ahold of some of the hardware and looking at it.Maybe ripping the files off the flash in the mouse then maybe setting up a USB stick to act like it's razer hardware.

nightkiler3's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be interested in getting one (probrably in march though :/ ) and i would be more than willing to tear it apart to mass produce a code for everyone (site-wise) if anyone wants to explain to me exactly what to do without ruining the mouse beyond repair...

zzj's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you would have to capture the USB traffic of the device with something like USB Snoopy and then you would have to take something like a microcontroller with a usb slave interface (something like a arduino/netduino) and program that µC to behave like the razer device on the USB handshake

Netzgeist's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt be too optimistic on that. My idea to sell such stuff as a company would be:
    - log the hardware-id's of manufactured mouses/keyboards of this series to an encrypted database [like md5($modellno), some more custom stuff though]
    - hand out software that generated such data in the same way using the hardware-id of the currently plugged in mouse
    - make a websites where users may use this code each one. the code is unusuably afterwars cause it will just be deleted from the database.

so what can you do now? you could reconstruct the encryption stuff by reverse engineering, and you could hope that the hardware ids arent 14digit. but in the end you still would need to bruteforce the keyserver(not a good idea). Additionally, this is just the stuff i could code in 30minutes. Razor will surely be a little more bloaty and combine all these steps with community accounts, email check etc blabla
    regards,
    NG

shadowsx's Avatar Bawx Lurker CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Netzgeist View Post
    I wouldnt be too optimistic on that. My idea to sell such stuff as a company would be:
    - log the hardware-id's of manufactured mouses/keyboards of this series to an encrypted database [like md5($modellno), some more custom stuff though]
    - hand out software that generated such data in the same way using the hardware-id of the currently plugged in mouse
    - make a websites where users may use this code each one. the code is unusuably afterwars cause it will just be deleted from the database.

so what can you do now? you could reconstruct the encryption stuff by reverse engineering, and you could hope that the hardware ids arent 14digit. but in the end you still would need to bruteforce the keyserver(not a good idea). Additionally, this is just the stuff i could code in 30minutes. Razor will surely be a little more bloaty and combine all these steps with community accounts, email check etc blabla
    I don't think they care about some color crystal, they care that their overpriced $250 keyboard sells.

Netzgeist's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes but surely bioware will care if you start giving free black crystals to your whole server. these key need to be 1time-usable if you want the crystals to be rare. so you need to implement burnable keys and a mechanism that prevents users from just resetting a virtual machine over and over again to generate keys.

ps: 250 wtf?^^
    regards,
    NG

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is there anyway to do this without buying the expensive gear?

axi0m's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of Razer hardware (mice of the same type, Naga etc) have very similar internals. If you own a Naga (or Epic) and purchase the TOR one at a retail location, could probably just swap internals. Most retailers are too stupid to look for that stuff. That way you get to keep your cheaper mouse and get the crystal.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, I was expecting somehardcore decryption CIA-esque event to happen and just create some sort of program to do all this, but i guess i shouldnt expectmuch from a mainstream site

asinine's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably setup a dummy usb driver that has the same hardware id as the razer device we need. Someone will need to share the hardware id tho (not unique).

luchin's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, go and buy one and post it on here :P

_Mike's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no "code embedded into the hardware itself that verifies you have the hardware"
    Synapse sends the serial number to razor's server and if it's an unused serial you get a code back.
    "Hacking" the client to add the code redemption button is easy since the UI is xml. Just add a button called BUTTON_REDEEM_CODE and you're done. But without a valid serial you won't get far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast