265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better AA and SGSSAA

I haven't seen this posted here so hopefully this will help some fellow members. Forcing AA and SGSAA through the drivers will result in much better graphical appearance in game but it does cause an issue with bloom where the edges of the screen sometimes glow. You will get used to this eventually and I really recommend doing what this guide says if you want a better looking game.

Source: STAR WARS: The Old Republic - SWTOR NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing ( SGSSAA )

SWTOR gave me A LOT of trouble to make it run perfectly 60+FPS constant and without jaggies but I eventually made it!

My system spec is:
    windows 7 64 bit
    gtx 680 SC
    i5 2500K @ 4.3

I play at 1920x1080p with a 120hz monitor. Everything is maxed besides in-game AA, Anisotropic Filtering and Vsync which are turned OFF. Now that you know with what I play you can adjust the settings to your liking comparing to mine.

Got Jaggies all over the place? Sudden FPS drops where there shouldn't be none? Turning your camera makes the game "skip" a few frames giving a stutter feeling? Maybe I can help.

I've seen a lot of posts of people with GTX 680 (not only) getting low FPS so I hope this will help them.

1st you need to download and install Nvidia Inspector. Google it if you don't have it already . Open the Star Wars: The Old Republic profile and make sure it looks like this:
    http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2...ainspector.jpg

You can see my nvidia inspector version as my Graphics Card Drivers (310.64) on the top left corner just in case.

_Pay attention to the Anti-aliasing compatibility as the flag for it isn't the same you ll find with a quick search for SGSSAA. I found this one to be faster for Sparse Grid Supersampling (SGSSAA): 0x000012C1 .

_ 4x [4x Multisampling] with 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling makes SWTOR look like a constant screenshot, with absolutely NO JAGGIES. Looks amazing and i m a graphics kind of guy.

_Anisotropic Filtering is set at 8x but you can set it at 16x, I just prefered the extra FPS boost 8x gave me since visually there is little difference.

_Texture Filtering LOD BIAS at: -1.000 . It will make the game's texture look shiny, as if it was reflecting the environment. Specially heavy plate armors look great with this. If you put at -3.000 it will be a shiny festival but it costs more performance also. -1.000 looks great.

_Set the Texture Filtering Negative LOD bias to: ALLOW to let all the shiny happen

_One VERY IMPORTANT setting that I found that "saved" my FPS was Maximum pre-rendered frames set to: 1.
    I played with great FPS in the fleets full of people and in warzones, but some zones like dormund Kaas and Voss( didn t try more places), my FPS went from 100+ to +/- 30 in some places. Very strange, makes me think the game is very poorly optimized. Setting the max pre-rendered frames to 1 fixed that for me.

_Force Vsync OFF just to make sure. I've read it causes people problems and the tearing without it is almost non existing.

_Also triple buffering Off since you won't be using Vsync to start with.

_After you applied your settings don't forget th Press the Green button on the top right corner to "Apply Changes".

Make sure in-game Vsync and Anti-Aliasing is turned off. Go to your SWTOR .ini file located probably at yourusername/Appdata/Local/SWTOR/settings. You might have to make it show hidden folders to see the Appdata folder. Select client_settings ini and delete any anti-aliasing line if you have any.

I also made my swtor.exe to run under compatibility with windows XP SP 3, don t know if it makes any difference but since I made that change a while ago, doesn't hurt to try and do the same.

Make sure you try my exact same nvidia inspector settings as it's easy to overlook one setting and screws your whole FPS'. If the 4x AA is too much try a little less but with anything less jaggies will show in a 1080p resolution.

It took me a long time to make this game run perfectly fluid and with amazing visuals without any F*IN JAGGIES FFS!!! Made me quit my subscription before because I wasn't able to pull it off, now I did it so I subscribed again. The game is great and if you can make it work as I did, your gameplay and graphics will be amazing. Good luck and enjoy.
    I play it with the vsync on unlike it states in this guide but you could also force it through the drivers, using a third party program to do so like the poster does not really make much sense.

My 980m SLI is able to run the game fine with 4x or 8x AA and SGSSAA but the difference between 4x and 8x is very hardly noticeable at 1080p.

Some Tips:
    • If you are having issue with the compatibility flags in the guide you can also try the flag: 0x0000F0C1
    • Always use the same AA and SGSSAA multiplier (ie, if you have 2x AA use 2x SGSSAA)
    • Set LOD Bias correct in relationship to SGSSAA
      • 2x LOD bias = -0.5000
      • 4x LOD bias = -1.0000
      • 8x LOD bias = -1.5000

• If the glowing edges annoy you, you can turn off bloom to get rid of them but you will lose a lot of graphical effects within the game
    • If the color is too saturated for you then set AllowColorRemapping = false inside the ini settings, if it is not there then add it to the top. The file is found at %localappdata%/swtor/swtor in client_settings.ini, set it to read only after editing it if you want changes to stick!
    • You can turn on ambient occlusion but it will cause light sabers to be see through
    • If you have low fps turn off or down shadows
    • 16x anisotropic filtering will have the same performance as 8x, so just set it to 16x.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, I have a lot of experience messing with this game.

Better AA and SGSSAA
    Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my nvidia inspector settings for reference:

and my client_settings.ini file, set to read only:

Code:
    [Renderer]
    AllowColorRemapping = false
    AllowDepthOfField = false
    AmbientNPCCount = 35
    D3DFullScreen = false
    doBlobShadows = false
    doShadows = false
    EnableBloom = true
    GraphicsDeviceId = 5079
    GraphicsQuality = 5
    Height = 1080
    NativeHeight = 1080
    NativeWidth = 1920
    PerfTestFlags = 4702080
    PlantDensity = 100
    RefreshRate = 60
    ShaderSet = 9
    SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
    TextureAnisotropy = 16
    TextureQuality = 0
    VerticalSyncState = true
    Width = 1920
    AntiAliasingLevel = 0
    AtlasQuality = 0
    MeshLODQuality = 1
    ShadowMapNumCascades = 8
    ShadowMapResolution = 2048
    WindowX = 0
    WindowY = 0
    CodeVersionChanged = false
    LastCodeVersionRun = 1
    FullScreen = true

[Sound]
    DisableSoundWhenUnfocused = false

[Game]
    MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies
    SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    Last edited by Confucius; 07-21-2015 at 07:08 PM.