265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up swtor to run inside vmware

Hello everyone, lately I have taken some time messing around with VMware, trying to get swtor to run inside it. The first time I got it to work there was no text, however I have figured out how to set it up and run it perfectly, although it is a bit slow.

Why would you want to run swtor inside vmware?
    • Use autoit bots while using your computer.
    • Play swtor on a non windows system
    • Run more than one client at once

Here are the quick steps!

1. Download VMware Workstation: Run Multiple OS Including Linux & Windows7, on Virtual Machines
    2. Download Microsoft Windows XP as an .iso (windows 7 will not work, vista may)
    3. Choose to create a new machine within vmware workstation, choose the .iso you downloaded as your boot disc.
    4. Make sure you let the box use at least 4 cores of your cpu and around 3-4gb of ram
    5. Go through the install process of windows xp
    6. Install directx 9 Download: DirectX End-User Runtime - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
    7. Install .net 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 Download: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details Download: .NET Framework 3.5 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details Download: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
    8. Install the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package Download: Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
    9. Copy your swtor folder and bot over to the virtual machine (drag and drop works fine).
    10. Run the launcher for the first time, if the play button is greyed out just leave the launcher up for a bit and it should download something (C++ 2008 package), if not then go to your swtor folder and run fix_launcher.exe then run it and wait awhile.
    11. Swtor will take awhile to load at first and also change your screen resolution, hit alt enter to put it back into windowed mode.
    12. Setup your bot like you normally would.
    13. Run your bot, it is a bit slow (I get 34ish fps on average with spikes down to 10)
    14. Hit ctrl + alt and your mouse will be freed from vmware, allowing you to minimize the window and do whatever you want while the bot still goes!

Happy botting everyone! If you have any questions or issues then post in this thread.
    Last edited by Confucius; 03-20-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Setting up swtor to run inside vmware
    TehVoyager's Avatar I just love KuRIoS
    Thanks G/R
    85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: wouldnt the Warden-clone of SWTOR, GW2 beta, D3 Beta, wow, etc take a complete hairy at the VMware processes?

Also, technicly, couldnt a bot be made or modified to work from your desktop into a VM session, providing a 2nd layer of seperation between bot and client, making it harder to detect?

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

Liteness's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    space botting while watching movies was never so good before vmware

Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TehVoyager View Post
    Question: wouldnt the Warden-clone of SWTOR, GW2 beta, D3 Beta, wow, etc take a complete hairy at the VMware processes?

Also, technicly, couldnt a bot be made or modified to work from your desktop into a VM session, providing a 2nd layer of seperation between bot and client, making it harder to detect?
    No, vmware runs a complete separate OS from your main computer, for all the client knows it is running on a windows xp computer. The mouse from the host computer and virtual machine are different, which is why the bot still runs even if you minimize the machine.

greywolf's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey nice guide, thanks for info, I have been wanting to try this.
    How slow does the game run when you have other things open ? How much ram do you have ?

Thanks

Thanks G/R
    265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
    Hey nice guide, thanks for info, I have been wanting to try this.
    How slow does the game run when you have other things open ? How much ram do you have ?

Thanks
    The game runs pretty slow but is still bottable. I run my game on low with 3gb ram allocated to the machine, it gets 20-36 fps, sometimes down to 11. I am only botting crew skills at the moment, will report back how it works out when I run it in space.

Inside the virtual machine the swtor window must be chosen, but you do not have to leave your mouse inside the machine, just hit ctrl + alt and your mouse will be freed from vmware. Good luck!

Liteness's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    The game runs pretty slow but is still bottable. I run my game on low with 3gb ram allocated to the machine, it gets 20-36 fps, sometimes down to 11. I am only botting crew skills at the moment, will report back how it works out when I run it in space.

Inside the virtual machine the swtor window must be chosen, but you do not have to leave your mouse inside the machine, just hit ctrl + alt and your mouse will be freed from vmware. Good luck!
    It works, although you'll need to create new space bot recordings for your lowered FPS, (i did). You might want to allocate 4GB to the machine as well.
    Last edited by Liteness; 03-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks G/R
    265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Liteness View Post
    It works, although you'll need to create new space bot recordings for your lowered FPS, (i did). You might want to allocate 4GB to the machine as well.
    Space works fine for me, I am using Lucky's Spacebot. However I get up to 60fps sometimes in space, 14 at other times too, but it works fine the whole time. Also I didn't do 4gb since I only have 8gb on my host and wanted at least 5gb to use while my bot goes :P, thanks for your input though!

Colster's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work

azza's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you know what causes the no text thing and how to fix it?

Doctah Doom's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    1/6
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely great post, i was actually gonna try and put something similar together but im really lazy (N). Only problem with VMware is that it slows the hell out of your comp, especially if it isnt up to snuff

+rep

Thanks G/R
    265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Evil ZeR0 View Post
    do you know what causes the no text thing and how to fix it?
    I could not figure it out, but the error was gone for me when I used windows xp instead of windows 7. I forgot to say, make sure you install vmware tools, as this will give you the graphics driver you need.

Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i had win7 originally i was trying to set it up before i noticed this post when i redid it all in winxp and with a few tweaks i now got it running with untz bot working nicely.

gotta farm up the cash for all those speeders they are removing.

also a good tip is go into workstation and set the prefrence for gaming mouse to always cause without that all my camera did was spin around really fast i couldnt do shit.

Thanks G/R
    265/282
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Evil ZeR0 View Post
    yeah i had win7 originally i was trying to set it up before i noticed this post when i redid it all in winxp and with a few tweaks i now got it running with untz bot working nicely.

gotta farm up the cash for all those speeders they are removing.

also a good tip is go into workstation and set the prefrence for gaming mouse to always cause without that all my camera did was spin around really fast i couldnt do shit.
    Oh, nice tip +Rep for that. I was wondering if there was a way to fix the camera spinning, was a pain trying to set it right.

Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Oh, nice tip +Rep for that. I was wondering if there was a way to fix the camera spinning, was a pain trying to set it right.
    also you can get a smoother swtor by increasing the allowed video ram in the guest operating system makes it alot easier to get the bot to work (works great with untz bot aswell) just open the config file with notepad and enter the line and value you want.

Code:
    Increase video ram usage with svga.vramSize.

The value must be evenly divisible by 65536 when the guest is running Windows. For more information, seeCertain graphical elements are not drawn in a virtual machine running Windows (1001558).
            If the value exceeds the maximum video RAM supported by your hardware version, it is automatically adjusted to the maximum.
            Calculate the amount of video memory required to support the highest desired resolution. Multiply the width by the height of the largest resolution desired, then multiply the result by 4. If the result exceeds 16777216 (or 4194304, for ESX Server), the video memory must be increased. Add or update the following line to the .vmx file and then append the resulting value of the calculation:

svga.vramSize =

Example: To add the resolution 2560 x 2048 to a Workstation virtual machine, multiply 2560 * 2048 * 4 to get 20971520. This is the amount of memory in bytes required for the resolution. The result, 20971520 bytes, exceeds the default of 16777216 bytes. Therefore, you must add the following line to increase the video memory available:

svga.vramSize = 20971520
    if you run multiple vmwares at a time youll have to experment with them till you get the right spot so they all work well.

im just using the one for my monitors native resolution which is 1920 x 1080 which ends up being

svga.vramSize "2073600"

using that line in the config my guest window runs alot better.

i can run a wow window and a swtor one at the same time with 0 problems.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast