Thanks G/R
    2/1
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the best class for beginners in Rift?

Haven't played the game yet. Want to know which class I should start off with first.

What's the best class for beginners in Rift?
    Daeity's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Rogue class with the Ranger soul (pet class), they level the fastest in the beginning and are extremely easy to play. Add a Bard as your second soul for fun and different play style, and for your third you could make a Marksman to enhance the Ranger build.

Once you get the hang of the game, locations, quests, etc - build a new Cleric player and use your original Rogue as a Banker/AH Mule. The Cleric is slower in the beginning, but once they hit Level 16 they level the fastest out of all other classes (e.g. go Inq/Jus/War AOE spec).

Renzou2k4's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Daeity View Post
    Get a Rogue class with the Ranger soul (pet class), they level the fastest in the beginning and are extremely easy to play. Add a Bard as your second soul for fun and different play style, and for your third you could make a Marksman to enhance the Ranger build.

Once you get the hang of the game, locations, quests, etc - build a new Cleric player and use your original Rogue as a Banker/AH Mule. The Cleric is slower in the beginning, but once they hit Level 16 they level the fastest out of all other classes (e.g. go Inq/Jus/War AOE spec).
    Daeity, could you show the build with the inq/jus/war?

Please and Thanks!?
    Last edited by Renzou2k4; 05-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Daeity's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Renzou2k4 View Post
    Daeity, could you show the build with the inq/jus/war?

Please and Thanks!?
    Sure thing.

Starting out, you can pretty much go any class you like until level 16. Straight Inquistor is very popular.

If you want to AOE grind at low levels though (2-3 mobs at a time), it's risky but you can do it with a Cabalist/Inquistor/Warden build. Use Healing Spray in the beginning, gather mobs up using Vex, then use Decay -> Obliterate and Bound Fate to AOE them down. Water Jet is used to finish them off individually. You'll be getting all of your heals from Water Spray with this approach.

At Level 16, you should have this build: Inquisitor (14) / Justicar (7) / Warden (0)

As you level further, you'll want to add points to Justicar to increase your healing, and points in Inquisitor to increase Vex and Soul Drain damage.

At Level 33, you should be here: Inquisitor (31) / Justicar (12) / Warden (0)

Some Information About This Build

- Water Jet is superior to Bolt of Judgement (get rid of BoJ - it shouldn't be anywhere on your UI). Consider this example: With 5 points wasted, BoJ can do 100 damage every 1.5s. Water Jet does 70 damage, but it's Instant Cast (meaning about 3 attacks within the same timeframe as BoJ casting). It's awesome, and a 0-point ability.
    - The Justicar soul is used to get health back from all of the damage you do.
    - Don't use the Mien of Leadership buff. It looks cool, but it kills all of the healing you receive from Soul Drain.
    - I put the extra point into Justicar to get the Purpose ability. It's amazing for regenerating mana. On your last mob just melee him down and you'll regen all of your mana back. No downtime between fights using this or Aggressive Renewal (between CDs).

After Level 33

- You'll want to fill up Corporal Punishment, Life and Death Concord (up to you, but it's nice for single-target DPS), and Unholy Tutelage.
    - Put 5 points into Destructive Tide (Warden Soul) to increase Vex damage (and therefore increased healing.)
    - You can pretty much put points into anything you want here, it's your choice: Justicar for reduced damage, Warden for increased healing/HOTs, or more points into Inq above lvl 36 increases Vex damage.

Example: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...VEoiMx0qz.Vxbx

Rotation

- Round up 4-5 mobs using Vex. When they're all together, cast Fanaticism (next spell is guaranteed crit), Soul Drain, and then keep casting Circle of Oblivion until they're dead. Cast Soul Drain again if the CD is up.
    - You must keep Vex on them all times! This is where a majority of your healing (and survivability) come from.
    - Re-cast Vex after your first Soul Drain for example if Vex is about to expire. Or re-cast Vex on them all once you gather them up (e.g. if they had to run long distances.)
    - When you're rounding up mobs, throw off the ocassional Bolt of Radiance, or hit them with your Justicar melee abilities to build up Conviction points. You can use these points for massive emergency heals from Doctrine of Bliss.
    - Ideally, you'll want to kill melee mobs, but casters/ranged are easy enough with some practice. Simply hide behind a small object or tree (they can't target you), and they'll all run towards you. Or bring all the melee mobs to the ranged mob.
    - Healing Spray is your other backup heal. If you do everything right though, you won't need to use any "emergency heals" until right after the fight just to max out for health for the next group.

Remember, not all mobs hit the same. I kill 5-6 mobs at a time, but there are some mobs (beasts) that hit really hard and I can only do 3-4. You'll learn as you go.

Alternatives at Level 50

The Inquisitor AOE build is amazing at 50, but if you want to vary things up a bit there's a Shaman AOE build that's pretty fun. It's very slow for levelling to 50 though (compared to Inq).

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKwqbgU4BQ
    Last edited by Daeity; 05-15-2011 at 06:55 PM.

zanathos77's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the Rogue comment, but I don't say shelve it at all. It is a very fun class, and I have no problems soloing elites even at level 50. If I can't straight up tank and spank them, rogues have excellent kiting capabilities. If you are more of a 'solo' playing kind of person like me, it's nearly perfect.

403Forbidden's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/11
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a comment from a person actively playing rift.

I started off as a rogue soul, focused on beastmaster/ranger/marksman. However by level 30 i abandoned this character because it was ****ING BORING to play. Sorry, but yes, caps were necessary.
    I took a two-three weeks break, and then decided to give it another go, and rolled a mage.

Contrary to popular advice, i leveled as pyro, only getting ele soul for the pet (that lasted me first 30 levels with 0 points in elementalist) and chloro for the self healing.
    Sure, its not as easy as others, but it is VERY versatile. Im talking a LOT of stuns, slows, disables, blink, etc. I was effectively able to solo a lot of elite quests by just kiting mobs around.

The easiest part starts once you get 2nd ground, Ground of Strength. What it does is reduces ALL damage you take by 30% while in it. Add to it 5 points in elementalist for 10% less dmg taken, and instant heal from chloro, and you can essentially pull 4-5 mobs and aaoe them down.

It takes a bit of time to get used to proper mana management, but once you do, it has barely any downtime at all. And once you unlock elementalist "charge -> mana out of combat" thats it, you are an unstoppable machine.

I found this to be not only a feasible, but also extremely fun and versatile build to play, and would highly recommend.

Sodee's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no Beastmaster soul in Rogue. Your issue sounds like a shitty spec. Ranger is a great start, but switch to what I linked in that post at 28 and you'll have a fast and incredibly fun spec.

Refer to:

http://www.mmowned.com/forums/other-...ls-thread.html

zanathos77's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, You are correct though Sodee, so such soul in rogue. I should know I play one all day and love it. My mage made it to about 26 so far. There (to me) is much less fun in sitting back and just pressing buttons, rather than being attached to the bosses hip, stabbing the crap out of him, moving, with him. It is FAR more engaging to play a melee than a ranged. Perhaps he was bored laying on the ground dead all the time from falling asleep being ranged or something.

Felix03658's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a char which is Ranger . i think it is funny and good for the greener