12/8
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writing an Hearthstone Combo Helper [W/O Injection]

In this tutorial I will show you the full process from "hacking" to actually writing an Combo Helper for Hearthstone.
    This is labeled as an tutorial but it also describes some of process I went through to get to the result I got.
    The reasoning behind that is to highlight what is the most important trait of anything an programmer do.
    How we reason and come up with a working solution. Because that is the truly hard thing and is not taucht in school.
    I am assuming you know some programming and HTTP knowledge. Other than that it will be math for the actual statistics but
    I leave it optional to actually try to understand it on a deep level.
    There is also GUI in ComboHelper but there are so many C# tutorials on GUI so I will leave that to yourself.

First things first
    For writing this thing I used C# empowered with BotKitty.
    BotKitty is an handful of tools, runtime, API and GUI interface geared towards botwriters. The botwriters can then write plugins for which other users then easily can pick up and start using. It can be downloadeded here.

BotKitty can be downloaded here and for those who want read the code and mess with it can download ComboHelper on Github.

Also Cheat Engine is used to do inspect Hearthstone memory.

The goals and requirements
    Is to be able to view the chance of getting certain combos of cards as the game is played.
    Also to make this an long lasting application no injection or game file modification is allowed.
    It should last along patches.

This gives us the following list of requirements for our helper:
    - Find out when game starts
    - Allow users to modify combos
    - Do mathematically exact statistical analysis
    - Know about which cards are in the deck as the game is played

The cards
    As you might know cards is used in Hearthstone. It is after all a card game and therefore what we need to do is find out which cards has been played and not.
    This will require that we inspect the memory of Hearthstone as it is running. But what is the first rule when inspecting another process?
    Check how the game is built, if it is Unity or Unreal Engine or if they are using their own custom engine. Is it using C++ only or is there a scripting language to?
    All this characterize how memory will be managed and later on this is going to affect what we need to get the cards in a trustful manner.
    But let's ignore that for now, I am going to explain that completly. Let's focus on the memory, and for inspecting it we will be using Cheat Engine.

So we want to know which cards is dead, ours and which is not used.
    I fired up Hearthstone, entered a match and searched the memory for a card name which I have in hand.
    What comes up is very different depending on what cards you search for.
    It can be 50 results, or 3. But after going through the surrounding memory of one of them we find something like this:

This is very peculiar, why would any game ever store game state as strings, it is simply very inefficient in almost every way.
    Unless it might be cashe for what is sent towards the server. That is my best guess atleast.
    Anyway moving forward, we try to play this card which we just searched for and then we search for the game id of our card.
    Because that sounds alot like a real id.
    And what happens now is that there have been another allocation of an almost identical string, but it's zone value is now "PLAY".
    Hmm, we surely got something going here. After more research including searches for zone= this is the list of values we have found out:

zone can have the following values: HAND, PLAY, DECK, GRAVEYARD.
    gameId is the unique id of the card throughout the match. (But I do not think that was any surprise.)
    cardId is unique id across all cards.
    zonePos tells us the position of the card from left to right, except when position == 0 (I'm coming to that)

We certainly need unique identifiers for every card in the game to allow the user to actually add their own cards to their combos.
    And this cardId value of the findings in memory really seems to please that constraint.
    But with only this information the user will have to add cardId for every card in their deck. That will be fairly enoying to say the least.
    So if we could display the cards when the user searches for them that would give users a more interactive and natural course of setting combos.

This is the first time we will see how it becomes important that we know how Hearthstone is built.
    And the first step to figure that out is to take a look at the files in the Hearthstone directory.
    Or more specificly the Data/Win directory, it contains a bunch of files with the extension .unity3d.
    A quick google search tells us that Unity is a game engine which you might have already heard of.
    And by taking a look at asset system of the game engine we now know that we can decompile these unity3d files and get animations and images of every card.
    Ok, now we know what we need to. But this could potentially be ALOT of work, so let's find out if anyone else have done this before.
    Googling for "hearthstone cards by id" gives as first result Hearthstone API which contains a link to an machape API.
    So turns out we can basicly just "call" this REST api.

Ok, now when we have figured out that this memory search is everything we need it is time to actually do a search.
    For this BotKitty offers the MemFind method.
    So we just do the search like this:

This is enough to get all cards and also alot more. So we need to go through each of these matches and see if it actually contains all information we need.
    If you really want to know how that is done the code is here(it is not pretty):

Github

Unity is using C# as their language for managing the game logic. What this means is that these strings are allocated using the garbage collected heap.
    Meaning strings will be along for longer than the actual game logic knows about.
    This means that we will see a single card in multiple states by simply inspecting the memory of Hearthstone. We also need some filtering and heuristics
    to figure out which cards are representing the card in the current state.

For this we apply a bunch of filters. We say hand cards is only going from right to left or from the zone position perspective from high numbers to lower.
    That way we know where it exists in hand, we assume cards is going from deck -> hand -> play -> graveyard. This means if we find a card with it's zone
    set to hand and also to deck we know the card is in hand. Of course this is not perfect, but it works good enough.

The zone information in the memory findings is great, but it has one big flaw. How the f** do we know if that card is ours or the enemy players?
    Well, as a general rule. When you got data which is just valid for the moment and it is not complete, just build an history list and infer each cards
    "alliance" by how the card has went through the zones and from unknown.
    I will spare you the details about this because it is alot of huffing and puffing. But what I choose to do is to have two zone states, the current and the last.
    Using that I can then build an twodimensional finite state machine. For those who does not know what that is I can explain this "academic" thing with one word,
    a grid. Take the current state and the last state and for every combination of these two spit out the alliance.

Take this grid for example:

This is the actual state machine which is used in ComboHelper.
    How this is used is you take the x axis(second dimension) and the y axis(first dimension) and then represent that combination with an function which spits out an Alliance value.
    The Alliance value can be either friendly, enemy, nochange or invalid.

Now when we got all data we need it is time to actually write an algorithm which calculates the statistics.
    So let's start by stating the the different input we are dealing with:
    - Round count
    - Combo count
    - Combo giving cards
    - Deck count

Calculate the stats when round count is equal to combo count is the easiest case, so let's begin there.
    There is one important twist already there, if you have studied statistics the slightest you know there
    is a terminology about statistical outcome area. But the area will change each time to draw a card.
    How this is dealt with is that you calculate the permutations of the combo count and deck count.
    Eg:
    Round Count - 3
    Combo Count - 5*4*3=60
    Deck Count - 30*29*28=28360

Then they are divided by each other:

Combo Permutations / Deck Permutations

The problem with this method is that how do we deal with when the round count is higher than the combo count.
    We need to insert failed draws. But the problem is that they will give different statistics depending on where they are inserted.
    After some searching for a method for expressing the average of this change in statistics we find an stack overflow answer telling
    us hypergeometric distribution.
    I will just give out the answer to how to implement this, as it requires time (for me) to think through.

Github

This tutorial is fairly dense, I must agree with that. And in some areas it is very shallow, there is alot to talk about here.
    But I wanted to keep this one short, and if you are interested in a specific topic I suggest you to contact me or to simply read
    about that topic.

Hope you got something out of this, bye
    Last edited by Kickupx; 03-30-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Check out BotKitty for more info.

Writing an Hearthstone Combo Helper [W/O Injection]
  2. Thanks Willy, ~OddBall~ (2 members gave Thanks to Kickupx for this useful post)
    nitr0x11's Avatar Site Donator
    Thanks G/R
    11/11
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didnt add link to botkitty

Kickupx's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    12/8
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh shit, thanks

~OddBall~'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    4/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say this was a great read, I enjoyed how you laid out your thought process. I'm wanting to take on a automation project for self learning myself and found this encouraging
    https://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/guides/278302-selecting-bot-you.html - SELECTING THE BOT FOR YOU

PHWOOOOAAAAAR - Parog was here. <3 <----Wtf's a Parog?

6. Thanks Kickupx (1 members gave Thanks to ~OddBall~ for this useful post)
    Kickupx's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    12/8
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that really mean alot!