20/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updates to TurboHud hours before a 2x Goblin Event

Long time donator, and huge fan of the project. Thanks for keeping Hud alive, KJ.

I would request that instead of disabling the current version of TurboHud immediately when introducing a new version, you instead allow it to work for 2-3 days while you work out any potential bugs that might have been introduced.

There is a 2x goblin event about to start just 3 hrs after you disabled the last version, and the new version breaks all previous plugins that use EnableSpeak functions.

I manually updated all my plugins, and manually added the folder so that Hud will stop giving errors, and will now shut down properly, but most users will log in for the event and find that not only will they have to update Hud, but that it won't alert them while they hunt for goblins.

I realize that this is not a paid product, but if you will at least allow the previous version to work for a few days while informing the user that a newer version is available, that will prevent a lot of heartache for your users.

Thanks again for all you do, and please keep up the hard work!
    Last edited by VitaKaninen; 11-06-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Updates to TurboHud hours before a 2x Goblin Event
    Xewl's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    24/19
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's working fine for me! It's up to the plugin authors to update their plugins to the newest version. If you want to fix the files yourself there are instructions in the support forum.

VitaKaninen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    20/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe most users do not use custom plugins, and use TurboHud "right out of the box", so this does not affect them.

I know very little about programming, and I use a lot of custom plugins that I have borrowed and modified to make my D3 gametime more fun.

I understand that KJ can not take responsibility for anyone else's plugins, and that it is their responsibility to update them when a new version is released.

I would just ask that he give us a grace period to update our plugins. Or at the very least not release a new version just a few hours before an event starts or a new season begins.
    Last edited by VitaKaninen; 11-06-2017 at 06:19 PM.

KillerJohn's Avatar TurboHUD HUDmaster CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by VitaKaninen View Post
    Long time donator, and huge fan of the project. Thanks for keeping Hud alive, KJ.

I would request that instead of disabling the current version of TurboHud immediately when introducing a new version, you instead allow it to work for 2-3 days while you work out any potential bugs that might have been introduced.

There is a 2x goblin event about to start just 3 hrs after you disabled the last version, and the new version breaks all previous plugins that use EnableSpeak functions.

I manually updated all my plugins, and manually added the folder so that Hud will stop giving errors, and will now shut down properly, but most users will log in for the event and find that not only will they have to update Hud, but that it won't alert them while they hunt for goblins.

I realize that this is not a paid product, but if you will at least allow the previous version to work for a few days while informing the user that a newer version is available, that will prevent a lot of heartache for your users.

Thanks again for all you do, and please keep up the hard work!
    You are totally right, and I understand you, because am a professional developer, but HUD is just full with breaking changes nowadays, in every level. From code through communication protocol to plugin interfaces. This is why it is a BETA. Before D3 goes live I can not guarantee that a BETA version remains stable.

I'll do everything I can, but this is just overwhelming nowadays... Basically I spend almost all my time with refactoring the shit out of HUD because it is a huge mess behind the plugin interfaces (which is pretty clean tbh). Every time I fix a bug, I cause 2 more because in the meanwhile I constantly refactor HUD. Also I need test data, so this may sound harsh but I really can't afford to let people be convinient by "semi-stable" versions and when they need a STABLE everybody is crying a river there were no testing at all... So I force BETA to everybody instead.
    Btw when I created closed BETA's, everybody wanted to be a beta tester, still almost nobody took care of reporting bugs...
    Do not send me private messages unless it is absolutely necessary or the content is sensitive or when I ask you to do that...

5. Thanks VitaKaninen, Wasted74 (2 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    VitaKaninen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    20/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the Reply, KJ, and thanks again for all you do with the project!

I will be completely honest about my observations in the few years I have been using TH.

I only use maybe 1/10th of the capabilities of TurboHud, but it keeps getting more and more complex. You are adding more and more features into Turbohud, but I wonder if the time you spend is really worth it. Are people really using all the new features, or would they really miss them if they were not there?

I only use the following functions of Turbohud:

Map Reveal
    Showing Mobs, Globes, Chests, etc on the map
    Speak functions for Goblins and Bandit shrines
    Damage numbers under skills for comparing items
    Cube item indicator
    indicator beside peoples names telling me where they are located
    Cooldown shown in seconds
    Proc indicator over the minimap

I am sure that other users use a lot more functions, but I would be very happy with a much more simpler version of TurboHud that was not so complicated and that did not take up all your time.

I am sure I am not telling you anything new, but maybe if you set up a survey about what players value most in Turbohud, you could make it a much simpler project that was easier to maintain. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by VitaKaninen; 11-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.

KillerJohn's Avatar TurboHUD HUDmaster CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    46/3335
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, exactly the opposite is happening: HUD is more simple by every day, because most of it's 'observable' functionality is organized to the plugins. It depends on you now how many plugins do you want. Also customizing the UI (=the plugins) is easier than ever - through C#.

Now I don't have to add feature after feature because somebody requested them, but people can create plugins whose DOESN'T increase HUD's complexity.
    Do not send me private messages unless it is absolutely necessary or the content is sensitive or when I ask you to do that...

8. Thanks SeaDragon, Wasted74 (2 members gave Thanks to KillerJohn for this useful post)
    pumo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    4/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diablo III is update to version 2.6.1.47919

Vern1701's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    12/49
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current version works. It was added info for goblin event.