Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protect yourself from chargebacks and unauthorized payments!

Hi OC community,
    As you know I am one of the big private sellers at OC. I have sold over ??K over this past 2-3 weeks, wonderful weeks. I have also had many frustrating trades and worse of them all, chargebacks and unauthorized payments. I have lost over $500 USD in stupid chargebacks and unauthorized payments, who refuse to hold up their end of the deal. I have never scammed and will never do, but I guess rotten people are the norm in the virtual currency trade.

This thread is to share ideas and experiences of how to protect yourself and if necessary, win a case against chargebacks and unauthorized payments.

Right now I follow these simple rules to protect myself:

1) MOST IMPORTANT ONE: Use multiple Paypal email addresses. If you are a honest and legit seller, who cares what Paypal you are using? I say use as many as you can, disposable ones. Once the money are on those PP accounts, transfer to your safe one IMMEDIATELY. That way even IF a chargeback occurs, you can discard them. Might sound heartless but that's what works.

2) Request PM and posts on your selling thread.

3) Require ID verification of the Paypal you are using. That's right folks no more yes I am verified but I actually stole this Paypal. Yeah right I have prove you scumbag scammer.

4) Require an email with said ID photo attached. Skype logs won't win you a case, but an e-mail with the photo ID attached WILL.

5) Use fraps. You will be so thankful.

Any more ideas that I can add on the OP will be greatly appreciated.
    Selling Gold D3

Protect yourself from chargebacks and unauthorized payments!
    jchang's Avatar Sergeant Major
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using #1 for suspicious/people that i don't trust. Very effective.

I've got charged back with #3 though, kid using his mum's PayPal. Verified the ID through Skype video call, case still under review.
    Time tells no lies.

Lass3-'s Avatar Knight-Captain
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But even tho if unauthorized claim, you wont win. Since they have to refund the money. Been speaking with a Paypal agent about this.. and as she said, if they claim an unauthorized payment. your screwed. And even tho you transfered the money to another paypal. Your other paypal will just end up with negative balance, if not they just take from the money there are on the paypal account

exxit's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladies and Gents... Here is the Cure-all for all of your PayPal questions...

PayPal doesn't give a flying **** about the trade of virtual items. If you want a service that doesn't involve scamming, just use the RMAH... In which, you will only be slightly sodomized by blizzards rates.

Ask any PayPal customer service employee, in the battle of Non tangible goods, there is No case, there are no winners... The do however take fraudulent charge-backs very seriously. This is not to say that they'll refund You, but possibly ban or fine the other person involved.

Point being, what you are trading isn't worth diddly squat to PayPal... If you had sent a 5 dollar box of brownies however, a Tracking number would suffice for your case to be considered.

Have a great day -_-

Spanister's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, I started two weeks ago and probably lost close to 300$

A question: with #1 you have to attach a creditcard at the very least i thought to create a new account, is paypal allowed to force a payment with that credit card if i just leave that account in the negative?

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Spanister View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I started two weeks ago and probably lost close to 300$

A question: with #1 you have to attach a creditcard at the very least i thought to create a new account, is paypal allowed to force a payment with that credit card if i just leave that account in the negative?
    Idk how the will get the money if it goes into negative balance, but i think you will receive a bill, or they just charge the money from ur credit card. i do not know

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Intetet View Post
    Idk how the will get the money if it goes into negative balance, but i think you will receive a bill, or they just charge the money from ur credit card. i do not know
    Anyone know from personal experience?

Pr3cious's Avatar Legendary Professional Seller

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    1/6
    Trade Feedback
    863 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by newyorkstocker View Post
    1) MOST IMPORTANT ONE: Use multiple Paypal email addresses. If you are a honest and legit seller, who cares what Paypal you are using? I say use as many as you can, disposable ones. Once the money are on those PP accounts, transfer to your safe one IMMEDIATELY. That way even IF a chargeback occurs, you can discard them. Might sound heartless but that's what works.
    This could be misleading and acctually be a tip giving to scammers so they start doing this way to scam others.
    It is also very unsecure. It breaks PayPals rules and once they find out they will send bills to your house to pay them, or they will sue you.

Many PayPal hackers use this method to steal money and its criminal.

I would suggest that only trade with people that seem trusted on forums and so on.
    Last edited by Pr3cious; 06-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Contact me on Skype if you need anything. We are online 16 hours a day!

NEWEST SKYPE: pr3cious-support

nav4321's Avatar Elite User
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/19
    Trade Feedback
    63 (94%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with precious, rather be safe than sorry, honesty / fairness goes a long way!

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Pr3cious View Post
    This could be misleading and acctually be a tip giving to scammers so they start doing this way to scam others.
    It is also very unsecure. It breaks PayPals rules and once they find out they will send bills to your house to pay them, or they will sue you.

Many PayPal hackers use this method to steal money and its criminal.

I would suggest that only trade with people that seem trusted on forums and so on.
    I agree with you there

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have no problem screwing over paypal, but if there gonna come for the money it wouldn't be worth it. Assuming they DO actually come for their money.

If you're reading this OP Can you tell me if your "criminal" ways have worked :P Paypal has only itself to blame.

newyorkstocker's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, haven't had a chargeback on my alts yet. Will keep you posted. Also, Moneybookers seems like a very safe trade platform.
    Selling Gold D3

x6unsound's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's a large account balance in the negative, I've heard that Paypal sends the bill to a collections agency to recover. Hasn't happened to me, but others have experienced it, so if you do decide to run and dump when your account gets scammed, you should keep an eye on your credit score. It's not worth paying tens of thousands in extra interest later when you buy a house and take out a mortgage just to sell some D3 gold today.

Phones's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moneybookers is the way to go.

Diablo3GoldUS's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why is moneybookers the way to go? do they protect you from virtual currency transactions? please tell me looking for a different method other than paypal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast