• OwnedCore Interview: Moderator Stoneharry

OwnedCore Interviews: The Faces Behind The Names
    by Spazzer

Interview 5: Moderator Stoneharry

You want to know who makes OwnedCore possible? I will be interviewing important figures from within the OwnedCore community. Find out who these dedicated individuals are while learning some interesting facts. There has been a slight change with the OwnedCore Interviews. There will only be a single interview released every four days. This will give community members an opportunity to ask the interviewee questions directly.

This weeks interview will be with Moderator Stoneharry.

Stone, Paper, Scissors! err What is your forum handle and how did you chose the name?
    My pseudoname is Stoneharry, which was created from playing Xbox live. A name was required and 'Harry' was taken, and one of the suggested names to use instead was 'Stoneharry'. I thought this sounded like 'Stoned-Harry' and thought great, I'll go with that. It's stuck ever since, if only for consistencies sake. It's surprising how many people recognize you when you stick with the same name for so long.

What is your real name and what do you do for a living?
    My real name is (obviously) Harry. I'm currently attending university studying computer science. Since it is currently the summer, I am working full time at a laboratory doing some EU funded research.

What is your history with OwnedCore and what is your involvement within the community?
    I joined OwnedCore in 2007 trying to set up a private server to muck around on. WoW emulation interested me greatly and I wanted to use it like the Warcraft III editor allowed. I did not know how to program and was a novice in computing, however persistence allowed me to learn a lot. I began to contribute regularly to the community and eventually was offered the position of moderator in the section. I still try to contribute to the emulation and model editing scenes, but they are rapidly shrinking sadly.

Most people know you in the OwnedCore community but what is one thing they don’t know about you that you would like them to know?
    Most people who go in the emulation related sections think I am really good, but actually I still consider myself below average in programming. The more you learn, the more you realise there is to learn. That is the nature of computing - there are so many different abstract layers, theories, algorithms... I may be able to produce content that looks good but actually if you got somebody else who programmed for a living in to try it, they would probably do a much better job than me. I am still young, these are things you learn with experience.

What have you learnt from OwnedCore over the years? What is something that you will never forget?
    I have certainly learnt how to deal with situations better. Moderating teaches you a surprising amount. When people are angry, there is no point being aggressive back. Letting people just sleep on something often calms feelings. You see the good and the bad in people. You get to experience different cultural attitudes from around the world. I won't ever forget when I was new here and how much I looked up to the moderators off the time.

OwnedCore has such a diverse mix of cultures and nationalities where in the world are you from and where do you live?
    I am born and bred in England. I've never really lived anywhere else. I go on holidays regularly to western Europe or the USA.

You are not Prince Harry are you?
    Sorry to dissapoint you but I am not.

What do you think about the diversity of Ownedcore? Why do you think Ownedcore is so popular to this day?
    OwnedCore is much larger than it used to be, it seems to be very diverse. I doubt any region has significantly more members these days. OwnedCore has just continued to grow as competition has died off and more loyal members are gained. Whenever a new big game comes out, we always seem to be ready and have hacks, exploits, and bots ready soon after. This is created by skilled community members, and this drives the main population.

Is there anything you want people to use more on Ownedcore? What would you like to see changed at OwnedCore?
    We went through a dodgy phase where a lot of blackhat scamming techniques were being shared and discussed in our white hat scamming section. At the time, it was quite questionable and not what the section was intended for. We have since dealt with this and no such content exists on the forums any longer, but it did cross the line. In its current state, there is not a lot I would like to see changed personally. We have an original forum board with quality content continued to be contributed. What more can one want?

I for one wished people would rep other threads besides big exploits or use the search function more.
    That is something I can agree upon - a huge amount of reputation goes towards the popular posts, but those contributing content but not hitting the most popular areas are not getting much if any reputation.

What was your first game and when did you start gaming, what was your hook?
    My first game was Total Anhilation: Kingdoms, as far as I remember. I loved RTS games, playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, Age of Empires, Warcraft II... Classics of the time. When Warcraft III came out that really got me hooked on the modding concept, I just loved the map editor. I still love modding games, but things are a lot more complicated these days. I have never really been a console person - I played a ton of the Halo games and a few other RPGs, but have never been much of a fan compared to the PC. WoW has sucked up far too many hours of my life, though I haven't played retail since late WOTLK.

You had mentioned you loved RTS games and have done time in MMOs, but what type of gamer are you and why?
    Since I have always been interested in the modding scene and programming, I am always thinking about the processing going on behind the game. Games that stun me and leave me thinking 'how did they do that?' are what I enjoy most. I can also get immersed in an RPG, or relax playing AI on a strategy game. I'm definitely a casual gamer, I like to wind down and play games and my active lifestyle leaves me with little time to actually play games.

If you were not a gamer what would you see yourself doing, what are your other passions?
    I love skiing, but unfortunately that is an expensive hobby to have. Programming of any sort I do on a regular base which I can relax doing. Programming almost brings more joy than gaming does. No better feeling than having a working program. I play a lot of sports, I attend airsoft quite regularly. The best passion I have though, is drinking. Nothing beats clubbing or a quiet pub run with some mates. What can I say, I'm a student.

Where can we find you besides OwnedCore?
    OwnedCore is the only forum board I am active on really. I upload videos of my WoW emulation work to YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/stoneharryNotBan

Who would you like to see interviewed? Who are you going to call out?
    I'd like to see Ket interviewed. He's quite a quiet administrator and it would be nice to get to know him better.

Who is your closest friend and foe on Ownedcore?
    My closest friend is the person going out of their way to help the leacher ranked user who is stuck with something. My foe is anyone who breaks the rules.

Mac vs PC: The Final Battle. What do you use; Mac or PC?
    PC everytime for me. Visual Studio is wonderful and I don't like overpriced hardware.

Is there anything else you would like to add to this interview or information you would like people to know?
    Nothing other than to not be afraid to contact us - we're all human. That said, if it's quite a general question it could probably be answered quicker and easier by posting in the appropriate section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: All interviews are conducted and written by Spazzer but are condoned and regulated by OwnedCore. Each interviewee has written and edited their personal segments and approved prior to posting said content for public review. This includes but is not limited to grammar, spelling and just bad English throughout the interview.